Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Subscribe
Quote: As luck would have it, I visited an OD today and noticed they had some of these sought-after cards. So I took one to the register, handed it to the cashier and said I wanted to put $500 on it. He punched his buttons, told me to swipe my credit card, I did, signed electronically, he thanked me and that was it. He never even looked at my credit card, never mind my ID - manager's approval? No way. Heck, buying $5 worth of light bulbs at Lowes they make you show your credit card and ID. Not at the OD I was in today, at least not with that cashier, for me.

I'm reading all sorts of different experiences that people are having with this. I think the acronym YMMV has never been more true.
This is the same for me. Last week, I went in to an OD stocked full of beans, so to test the waters, I bought a card and loaded $25. No questions asked, just swiped my CC and went on my way. This week, I went to the same OD, still fully stocked, and bought 2 x $500. Cashier looked a little surprised that I was spending that much, but punched away at entering the amount for each card, had me swipe my CC, and no further questions. Maybe the first $25 didn't raise a flag with the bean company, but if anything would raise a flag, this latest 2 x $500 probably would. The next time I go to buy more reloads, we'll see if they need a manager.
Has anybody set up direct deposit with the BB? I'd like to do this to get free ATM withdrawals. But I've never done DD with a credit/debit card like this before.

Other than having employer DD, I'm thinking of using PayPal transfers or ACH pushes from my checking accounts. But account transfers from those sources need a bank account number and routing number. Obviously, the BB doesn't have that. Do I accomplish an ACH push to the BB by "making a payment" to a "credit card"? Even if we were to go the legit route with payroll DD, how would the employer DD into basically an AMEX account?
Actually, the BB does have a routing number and an account number. Once you've logged into your BB account, just play around a bit and you'll find them. I've already set up AP for DD on my BB.
Quote: Actually, the BB does have a routing number and an account number. Once you've logged into your BB account, just play around a bit and you'll find them. I've already set up AP for DD on my BB.
Oh, thanks! Wouldn't have found it otherwise!

Does anybody know if Paypal or ACH pushes will count as DD for BB?
Quote: Actually, the BB does have a routing number and an account number. Once you've logged into your BB account, just play around a bit and you'll find them. I've already set up AP for DD on my BB.
+1. My employer is all online for DD and changing accounts, I'll be doing it today as it takes maybe a minute total for me to change anything.
Quote: Has anyone used bluebird to pay mortgage through citi or Wells Fargo? Or ally auto?
Works with Citi. I did that. You have to add the payee as if they will be sending check by mail. In reality it gets paid same day electronically. Make sure you name the payee as "CITIMORTGAGE".
Quote: +1. My employer is all online for DD and changing accounts, I'll be doing it today as it takes maybe a minute total for me to change anything.
I wish my employer's DD system was that easy. They do allow me to split it in up to 3 accounts, but I have to fill out a form, and then for the next paycheck they have to cut a live check while they "test" my new DD options So I have to wait until the second paycheck after I fill out the new form before they actually deposit in my accounts.
Quote: Works with Citi. I did that. You have to add the payee as if they will be sending check by mail. In reality it gets paid same day electronically. Make sure you name the payee as "CITIMORTGAGE".
Citi Mortgage isn't on BB's list?
Quote:
Quote: +1. My employer is all online for DD and changing accounts, I'll be doing it today as it takes maybe a minute total for me to change anything.
I wish my employer's DD system was that easy. They do allow me to split it in up to 3 accounts, but I have to fill out a form, and then for the next paycheck they have to cut a live check while they "test" my new DD options So I have to wait until the second paycheck after I fill out the new form before they actually deposit in my accounts.
I can split it 8 ways. I used to work at a place that paid weekly but would not do direct deposit at all , I feel your pain.
As far I can see from BB bill pay, there is no indication whether the check is cashed or not, most bank ebillpay works this way though, only Citibank's let you know when the check is not cashed after certain days.

No image of the check either.

Quote: Interested to hear (from tonyflyer or anyone else) if there is some feedback on the BB site that shows which checks have actually been cashed, perhaps with a scan of each check.

(For comparison, I had a bank account in the past that gave no feedback at all. Withdrew funds when the check was sent and there was no way to know if it ever got there.)
Funny, my experience was exactly the opposite.

My BB account was suspended/locked yesterday due to two VR reloads within 24-hours, at least that was I was told by an Amex BB CSR, she unlocked my account but advised me to wait for at least 24 hours to do another reload. My two reloads worked again today

Quote: Some data points:

I loaded $1000 via Van Reload at 3pm today.
I loaded another $1000 via Van Reload at 1215am (just past midnight). In both instances, I went ahead and tried to load an additional $500 (to go over the $1000 daily limit), and the error message kicked in.

So...unlike the Amex Prepaid card, which won't allow you to load again in less than 24 hours, the Bluebird max load of $1000/day is based on a calendar day, not 24 hours.

Also, I loaded a mixture of OD reload cards and Walgreen's reload cards. The reload cards are slightly different - OD cards have a bar code on the bottom, and Walgreen's reload cards have a magnetic strip, as well as a green background where the 10 digit secret code is printed. Both cards reloaded without a problem.
Any one happen to know which OD in New York (preferably in NYC) that sell vanilla reloads?
Quote: Funny, my experience was exactly the opposite.

My BB account was suspended/locked yesterday due to two VR reloads within 24-hours, at least that was I was told by an Amex BB CSR, she unlocked my account but advised me to wait for at least 24 hours to do another reload. My two reloads worked again today
Uh-oh. First locked account report (that I've seen, anyway).

Can't be just the two VR reloads. Tons of us have done that.

Can you give us a hint of what else may have transpired?
Quote: Any one happen to know which OD in New York (preferably in NYC) that sell vanilla reloads?
Doesn't look like the times square OD sells them based on reports in this thread. The one in Hoboken didn't have any either when I checked last week.
The reason given to me by the CSR was repeated (two) failed VR reloads (due to less than 24-hours from the one before), but she was able to unlock the account right away though.

I have done only some bill pays and VR reloads, one bill pay was $200 to my CC bill (only thing I can think of that might be out of line).

Quote: Uh-oh. First locked account report (that I've seen, anyway).

Can't be just the two VR reloads. Tons of us have done that.

Can you give us a hint of what else may have transpired?
37  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  57  97  147