Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by augustus21
To answer your question, yes. CVS does not lose money selling these things.

Remember that CVS is not charged by your credit card company to process credit card payment; the merchant's acquiring bank handles that, and passes that down, along with interchange fees, to the merchant. Thus, fees vary merchant to merchant, depending on the deal struck with their bank. However, CVS is likely paying less than 1.7% in total credit card processing fees. I mention this only to demonstrate that the fees to process the transaction are not that high.

CVS is given the "loading fee" + at least 1% of card value. Thus, they always come out ahead when you buy these cards, but they naturally do not want them to be bought with credit cards for the simple fact that it cuts into their profits (and the less obvious problems of their shadier uses).
I've long suspected that CVS pays less than face for these loads. Whilst losses from chargebacks would quickly erode any profit, this is far better than a $3.95, less CC fees, event for CVS when their discount is factored in.

The party losing in the equation is some combination of Vanilla or Amex (Amex in the case of BB users who do not use their card for purchases). Vanilla is willing to sell cash at a discount to the likes of CVS because for many customers (not FT'ers), Vanilla can collect rather absurd fees.

The unanswered question is what proportion of VRs are used in the FT way, versus the way Vanilla hopes. From reading the market commentary on the growth of prepaid cards, I'm optimistic we have some room to run.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Sent my wife to buy 2 VRs today. She did and in front of her there was another Asian lady doing the same thing (2 VRs). I think it may be getting a little, just a little out of hand?
Originally Posted by Happy
How so? You dont think Asian or ethnic groups should partake in amassing miles and points?
I don't think gpapadop was suggesting people of Asian descent should not participate or were somehow ruining the program for others.

The Greeks, on the other hand...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:17 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I haven't checked my stash in months. I hope cardinal fang hasn't confiscated them yet.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:25 am

how long did it take for BlueBird to come in the mail? been a little more than a week now...i've got student loans to funnel thru BB!!!!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
It sounds like that level of spend is inconsistent with your usual card usage.

Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:38 am

For those paying student loans I think it is important to know if your loan provider is giving you an interest rate incentive for auto-debit (most federal loans have a 0.5% deduction in interest rate if you use auto-debit). Depending on your loan balance and monthly payment using bluebird may or may not make sense for you (that is an individualized decision). As an example if I have 90K in loans and monthly payment is around $500 a month, the 0.5% lower interest rate saves $450 a year (at least the first year, this number would go down yearly based on loan balance) if you use auto-debit. If you use bluebird and are able to get 5x points, the best you could hope for would be 30000 points or miles ($6000 in loan payments a year x5) + fees of a little under $50 for 12 vanilla reloads. So if 30K points/miles +$50 is not worth $450 to you then paying student loans with bluebird doesn't make sense.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
This is a scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm.
it so totally is! and I am Kramer from Seinfeld - or George
but I think I am Jerry

Originally Posted by SnoopDaddy
I don't see how the lady being Asian is relevant to the whole deal getting out of hand. The poster never said so directly but it's implied, otherwise they never would have mentioned it to begin with.
Maybe some here think Sarah must be Asian too!

[QUOTE=NYBanker;19973011]

I was thinking more along these lines, Dr....

20120215132131_74325 by ltlizard0902, on Flickr

PP = prepaid vehicle
M/P/S = miles/points/status
FR/F = Financial review or Fraud team (potential occurrences signified by dotted line in artwork)
R/L/R = rinse/lather/repeat
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:47 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by rst113
For those paying student loans I think it is important to know if your loan provider is giving you an interest rate incentive for auto-debit (most federal loans have a 0.5% deduction in interest rate if you use auto-debit).
Can you have it auto-debited from BB?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
Sent my wife to buy 2 VRs today. She did and in front of her there was another Asian lady doing the same thing (2 VRs). I think it may be getting a little, just a little out of hand?
Similar thing happened to me. Brought 2 VR yesterday. Cashier and store manager (he was nearby) were puzzled why 5 different people brought 2 VR each in the last 2 days. They didn't have any problem selling the VR and accepting credit card for it. Looks like VR at CVS is catching up to attract attention.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by rst113
For those paying student loans I think it is important to know if your loan provider is giving you an interest rate incentive for auto-debit (most federal loans have a 0.5% deduction in interest rate if you use auto-debit). Depending on your loan balance and monthly payment using bluebird may or may not make sense for you (that is an individualized decision). As an example if I have 90K in loans and monthly payment is around $500 a month, the 0.5% lower interest rate saves $450 a year (at least the first year, this number would go down yearly based on loan balance) if you use auto-debit. If you use bluebird and are able to get 5x points, the best you could hope for would be 30000 points or miles ($6000 in loan payments a year x5) + fees of a little under $50 for 12 vanilla reloads. So if 30K points/miles +$50 is not worth $450 to you then paying student loans with bluebird doesn't make sense.
thanks. i have not yet calculated it as in depth as i should have. if push comes to shove, i'll just use BB to pay off my CC instead
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by saranyc
Can you have it auto-debited from BB?
I did not try it with bluebird but did previously with the amex prepaid when it first came out (tried a very small pull from chase using the routing and account number of the prepaid card) and it failed. Bluebird can push payments to other accounts but other accounts cannot pull payments.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>How so? You dont think Asian or ethnic groups should partake in amassing miles and points?

Happy: Yes, my wife is Asian. Someone has been emailing me to start posting pictures of her on my blog holding VR cards like some other bloggers do, lol.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ayya
Similar thing happened to me. Brought 2 VR yesterday. Cashier and store manager (he was nearby) were puzzled why 5 different people brought 2 VR each in the last 2 days. They didn't have any problem selling the VR and accepting credit card for it. Looks like VR at CVS is catching up to attract attention.
you should've asked the manager if they were asian. THAT of course would be the tell all sign that it's really starting to get out of hand.

fwiw, during my VR runs, i've witnessed a jewish man and a black woman purchasing VR @ CVS. "I think it may be getting a little, just a little out of hand?"
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:09 am

>>>>>>>>>>>How so? You dont think Asian or ethnic groups should partake in amassing miles and points?

Happy: Yes, my wife is Asian. Someone has been emailing me to start posting pictures of her on my blog holding VR cards like some other bloggers do, lol.
Actually I think I spotted her on one of your twitpics. Damn, does this count as cyber stalking?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok, just caught up with all posts. I can't believe an innocent observation almost became a racial "episode" here. To reiterate: Wife was told to stop at our local (neverturneddown) CVS store to buy 2 VRs. It was late at night (that store is open 24/7!!!). Only two customers in the store, both Asian ladies buying 2 VRs! I thought it was worth posting here that we aer getting nearer to the point of CVSManagement taking notice. Nothing more, nothing less.

Actually, I was shocked the person in front was not an Indian male in his 30s!

Call me Whitey.

Now when is that darn permanent myvanilladebit card going to make it to my house, come on!!!!

Last edited by gpapadop; Jan 4, 2013 at 9:18 am Reason: typos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.