Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
what was the result of the rearranging? that sounds consistent with the 3rd parties shipping/restocking gift cards at other stores.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:03 pm

I see the black MyVanilla card still at CVS, but it doesn't look like the picture. does anyone know if this is the same thing???
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:04 pm

not the same thing
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen
what was the result of the rearranging? that sounds consistent with the 3rd parties shipping/restocking gift cards at other stores.
All vanilla reload cards are being removed. The only thing I see there are moneypak cards and the debit cards from various different credit agencies.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kparikh
All vanilla reload cards are being removed. The only thing I see there are moneypak cards and the debit cards from various different credit agencies.
I agree, i went to 6 CVS locations and none had any. One lady said they were being discontinued
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nothing at CVS (x5) for several days here, and the usual place for VR was covered with MyVanilla cards at all but one store.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I plan to go again, they will prob go bankrupt the next day . At least now I have no reason to go to that depressing dump of a store. They don't have any worthwhile GCs that weren't Visa/MC/Amex/Amex PP/VR, Staples has a much better selection of other store gift cards.
Of course you should go to the depressing dump of a store. There's a Walmart right down the street!

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mikeef
Of course you should go to the depressing dump of a store. There's a Walmart right down the street!

Mike
That was a depressing dump too, even by Walmart standards.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:24 pm

Some data points:

Visited 4 Walgreens.

One had a $500/day limit on reloadable cards, paying by CC was okay.

Two of them had hardcoded registers for cash only, both which previously accepted CCs (about 1 month ago).

One of them had no daily limit and could pay by CC but right after I completed the transaction the person at the register said "I'm going to go ask my manager about these, they are supposed to be cash only like the GreenDot cards."

I'm expecting the WGs in my area to dry up fast, may try to load up soon.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
That was a depressing dump too, even by Walmart standards.
and those are high standards
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by tys90
One of them had no daily limit and could pay by CC but right after I completed the transaction the person at the register said "I'm going to go ask my manager about these, they are supposed to be cash only like the GreenDot cards."
(Not directed at you)

What a finker that emplyoee is.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by tys90
I'm expecting the WGs in my area to dry up fast, may try to load up soon.
Why do you expect that?

Nothing in your post suggests that to me - your experience looks like it falls squarely within what I think are typical WG experiences (which vary from store to store, from day to day, and from cashier to cashier).
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:56 pm

Had no problems buying more at my usual 2 CVS stores today in Eastern PA.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Why do you expect that?

Nothing in your post suggests that to me - your experience looks like it falls squarely within what I think are typical WG experiences (which vary from store to store, from day to day, and from cashier to cashier).
Drying up may be the wrong term. There is tons of availability but it's the change from non-hardcoded registers to hardcoded cash only registers for 2 different stores. I understand the other variations and will continue to visit those stores.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I just got back from my lunch break stop at cvs, the rack was full, bought two, and they thanked me for my bussiness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.