Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
I seldomly need to get money orders, but I find I need a couple. Can I use BB at wallyworld to get a MO? Will post office give MO for CC?

I have a feeling the answer is no or else people would be exploiting the hell out of it, but with the BB and TargetamexPP they have pin numbers, are they only good for atm withdrawals? Wondering if you could use PIN and run it as debit?
been reported upthread this is a no-go.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:13 pm

Now obviously doing this isn't very ethical but has anyone tried to take a VR from a place like Walgreens and then bring to to a store that allows to load with CC. I'm with the crowd that thinks taking a nonloaded VR from stores is stealing as they do make the $3.95 off of it.

I'm not sure how the inventory of these cards work, if each store knows the barcode number of each VR card they have in stock.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kannon99
Now obviously doing this isn't very ethical but has anyone tried to take a VR from a place like Walgreens and then bring to to a store that allows to load with CC. I'm with the crowd that thinks taking a nonloaded VR from stores is stealing as they do make the $3.95 off of it.

I'm not sure how the inventory of these cards work, if each store knows the barcode number of each VR card they have in stock.
Not all VR's are the same. Some have mag strips, some have barcodes, and the cards of each style are often different in other respects. Doing so will likely fail and cause suspicion.

I can tell you that the cards from OD /= WG /= CVS. They're all different in some respect.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:37 pm

Time for a paper check to be actually delivered

How long does it take for a paper check sent by Bluebird to be actually delivered? I sent a payment to my own address on Sunday and am still waiting for it. When I submitted the payment it said the delivery date would be 11/29.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:53 pm

Is Bluebird system down?

I have been trying to send out a payment all morning. I tried it around 10AM MST and again at 1:45PM MST and it keep erroring out. Anyone else having the same problem? Just want to make it is a system wide problem and not just for me. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1
How long does it take for a paper check sent by Bluebird to be actually delivered? I sent a payment to my own address on Sunday and am still waiting for it. When I submitted the payment it said the delivery date would be 11/29.
I have only done 1 bill pay via BB to pay my mortgage, it went smoothly and quickly.
I think it is electronically, so it went through faster than paper check.

However, I dont know why you want to do bill pay to your own address, i would thing this will trigger red flag all over....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Color inside the lines, kiddies!

Originally Posted by kannon99

Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clevername
POS systems appear hard-coded to deny bean purchase with store GC. Many clerks have told me so, but did accept other wide-accepted payments.
I believe some registers coded that the clerk has to enter the CVC in the system though I am not 100% sure because at each store in my area even after card swipe the clerk asked my card and then entered something in the system.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
They have to check the card you swipe to verify identity. IME, if it doesn't have your name on it, they balk.
Yup. I did one with husband's HHonor and they balked. I showed them our car insurance card which has both our names on it and my driver license. That pacified the cashier. (husband was in grocery store next door if needed I could go find him but I rather first convinced the cashier to run the CC thru.)

I did one with a TYP card that was not signed at the back. They balked also.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
5K Monthly Limit

How is the 5k monthly limit enforced when using any combination of Vanilla reloads/Debit cards? Is it by calendar month, by each statement or something else?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wise2u
I seldomly need to get money orders, but I find I need a couple. Can I use BB at wallyworld to get a MO? Will post office give MO for CC?

I have a feeling the answer is no or else people would be exploiting the hell out of it, but with the BB and TargetamexPP they have pin numbers, are they only good for atm withdrawals? Wondering if you could use PIN and run it as debit?
It does not hurt to try.

However I dont see what advantage you see, buying MOs with your BB? pay 0.70 per pop when you could withdraw money for free, either from ATM or to your linked bank?

What exploitation you talk about?

The earning is done at the loading process of BB, not at the withdrawal process of BB.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:31 pm

Saw the new VR cards at my local CeeVeeEss today. Packed in a sealed container. Unfortunately, they don't take CC, cash only.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by mizzou1
I too sent a check for rent to my address and it arrived the day BB said it would arrive.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b
Saw the new VR cards at my local CeeVeeEss today. Packed in a sealed container. Unfortunately, they don't take CC, cash only.

Important question: Had they taken CC for "old" VRs at this same CVS previously?

If so, what has changed: policy, cashier, the VRs, or the cash register's programming?

Lots of places don't sell them with CC, so if you have never had success previously in this location, I'd be hesitant to conclude that something fundamental has changed.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
NorCal SchmoreCal

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
I agree. I'm in NorCal and many stores have empty racks with the beans designation, but I don't know if each store has gotten their shipments yet. That, or they're selling out incredibly quickly.
Originally Posted by particlemn
just ask one of the clerks if they have sen them or if they have not arrived yet, every where on the news all the talk is about how many people are buying gift cards this christmas, they will most likely think you are looking for a chirstmas gift, i have found if you ask nicely most are very helpful.
Good point particlemn...

Cardinalkid1891 i haven't even seen SLOTS so I'm not convinced they are sold out, just not out yet. I should have asked the gift card employee when I saw her. **note to self**

Dear Kind an Lovely see vee ess clerk person,
I really like Root Beer Jelly Bellies. But Vanilla is tasty too.
Could you share? Please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.