Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by johndoe123
I just got back from my local OD.

20 there yesterday.

0 there today.

The placeholders are there for them -- just no cards.
That could (hopefully) just mean someone bought them.

Who knows... if they really are pulled, I wonder if Chase had anything to do with it, maybe negotiated that somehow with OD.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
They are not on the rack this morning from the OD where I purchased them last night. They must have had 10 on the shelf last night at 8 P.M. Didn't inquire with a manager but I think the rumors may be true....

I'll be in GSO and BTR this upcoming week so I will investigate further.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by sunshine-state
... manager comes over and says "We got a memo about these to pull them off the shelves" and he had to walk over to get the memo. After he studied it for a bit, he said it was effective today but he said he thought it meant AFTER today so he let me buy the 2x $500.
That's the first report of reload cards on the rack today, but also another report of a memo saying to pull them. Still might be an opportunity to get purchases in today. Probably not all OD managers read their email this morning.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by ddallas
That's the first report of reload cards on the rack today, but also another report of a memo saying to pull them. Still might be an opportunity to get purchases in today. Probably not all OD managers read their email this morning.
Agreed - there still might be some out there, but it's getting less and less likely. He clearly didn't really understand the whole game, but he took a long hard look at the credit card I was using (not an Ink), but I'd imagine that the memo said something specifically about Ink cards because of how carefully he studied the card I was using (any of us could easily identify an Ink card, but this guy probably couldn't really tell except if it actually said "Ink" on it, but he may have thought that my SPG Amex was related).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:29 am

Well there you go. Greed ruins another good deal for the reasonable. After this ordeal, I doubt someone who discovers a good deal will be willing to share. Its very unfortunate how people are unable to control themselves.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
I just got back from my friendly local OD where I purchased some beans. As I was checking out I overheard two OD associates talking how they just ordered 200 more VRs since they keep running out. Doesn't look like they got any sort of memo about taking them off the shelves. That's as of 1 hour ago.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:36 am

No longer sold at OD

I have called about a dozen ODs in the area and I have been told that they are no longer carrying that. What the hell?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by julp
I just got back from my friendly local OD where I purchased some beans. As I was checking out I overheard two OD associates talking how they just ordered 200 more VRs since they keep running out. Doesn't look like they got any sort of memo about taking them off the shelves. That's as of 1 hour ago.
Sweet, this is in Portland?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:44 am

Anyone having trouble loading their bluebird card this morning? I found 3 vanilla last night at OD and loaded 2 of them last night. Tried the 3rd this morning and I get an error. Is the load limit $5,000 for a 30 day period or per calendar month? I have loaded 5,000 in the last 2 weeks, but 2,000 of it was in October. Anyone have an idea? Waiting for my fiance's card to show up so I can try loading to her new card. Here is the error I keep getting:

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

ERROR PROCESSING TRANSACTION

We have NOT reloaded your card. The description of the error can be found below. Please print this screen for your records and contact Customer Service at: 1-877-429-8141

An error has occurred during this transaction. Please verify all the information is correct and try again. If you continue to receive this message contact a service representative for assistance. (180)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by iminsandiego
Anyone having trouble loading their bluebird card this morning? I found 3 vanilla last night at OD and loaded 2 of them last night. Tried the 3rd this morning and I get an error. Is the load limit $5,000 for a 30 day period or per calendar month? I have loaded 5,000 in the last 2 weeks, but 2,000 of it was in October. Anyone have an idea? Waiting for my fiance's card to show up so I can try loading to her new card. Here is the error I keep getting:

We have NOT reloaded your card. The description of the error can be found below. Please print this screen for your records and contact Customer Service at: 1-877-429-8141

An error has occurred during this transaction. Please verify all the information is correct and try again. If you continue to receive this message contact a service representative for assistance. (180)
I got that error and tried again and it worked. I wasn't close to the 5k limit though.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by iminsandiego

I just loaded 2 x $500 about 15 minutes ago (1:30ish Eastern), purchased at 12:53 pm today - both loaded successfully.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by setho212
I got that error and tried again and it worked. I wasn't close to the 5k limit though.
Thanks. I saw that someone else got a similar error (90), but haven't seen this being common. I made a payment with Bluebird this morning, so there is nothing wrong with my account as far as I know. I'll try loading tomorrow and see what happens.

Now that I think about it, it's possible that I loaded the $1,000 last night past midnight east coast time. Probably about 9:30 my time. Hoping that's it.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Just returned from my local OD in Boise and all the Vanillas have been pulled. DEAD!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
RIP. It was fun while it lasted! I wonder where MMS will get new material to write about.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Guess we finally know who wasn't making money on the deal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.