Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New Possibility with Square for the VERY Aggressive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Possibility with Square for the VERY Aggressive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:27 pm

Anyone using a swiper will also get a 1099-K form even for $1. It falls under the "accept CC for a service" tag. So there will be that to deal with come tax time.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
Anyone using a swiper will also get a 1099-K form even for $1. It falls under the "accept CC for a service" tag. So there will be that to deal with come tax time.
I guess they forgot the send mine
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I guess they forgot the send mine
And mine, too. If I remember, you can select whether or not the swiping is for "business" related purposes. Square is not a good idea for those looking to move many thousands (at least those not willing to take on a substantial risk). However, it's not as risky as some try to make it out to be if you use it reasonably.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
I've gotten shut down and they won't reopen. I only did about $2,000 of gift cards (in $100 increments) that I purchased separately (with wife's name on them) and that was the end of it. Email, phone call, "sir, we don't like what you are doing even though it's not against policy. we've cancelled your account".

Good luck making it pay...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
I've gotten shut down and they won't reopen. I only did about $2,000 of gift cards (in $100 increments) that I purchased separately (with wife's name on them) and that was the end of it. Email, phone call, "sir, we don't like what you are doing even though it's not against policy. we've cancelled your account".

Good luck making it pay...
If that's the way they shut down accounts ..."even though its not against policy" I can't see this working.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:53 pm

Square

I tried to get an invitation for this yesterday but the text message never came. Anyone using this? What are the limits? Is it just debit?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:17 am

Please PM Me if You're Using Square

Thank you.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
IME, Square doesn't hesitate to cancel you for "not using the service as intended." I used a year or so ago to cash out some Amex giftcards and Square gave me the axe after a little over $10K in 2 months. They held onto my balance for about 8 weeks after account closure.

Andyandy
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
IME, Square doesn't hesitate to cancel you for "not using the service as intended." I used a year or so ago to cash out some Amex giftcards and Square gave me the axe after a little over $10K in 2 months. They held onto my balance for about 8 weeks after account closure.
Same here. The above is the normal progression of events. There is a Square thread somewhere around here, but that is the gist of it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:59 pm

Yep, stay away.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:41 pm

Thanks much.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Happened to me too, and it triggered a FR from AMEX
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Happened to me too, and it triggered a FR from AMEX
Oh the humanity! Was it grueling?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
Not exactly. The Square Seller Agreement states:

If in a given calendar year you receive (i) more than $20,000 in gross amount of payments and (ii) more than 200 payments, Square will report annually to the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”), as required by law, your name, address, Tax Identification Number (such as a Social Security Number (SSN), or Employer Identification Number (EIN)), the total dollar amount of the payments you receive in a calendar year, and the total dollar amount of the payments you receive for each month in a calendar year. Whether you reach $20,000 in payments or more than 200 payments will be determined by looking at the SSN associated with your Square Account.

However, you cannot pay yourself using Square. It is to be used strictly for business transactions. If you violate that part of the Seller Agreement, you're committing fraud.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by thorax
Oh the humanity! Was it grueling?
Oddly enough, it was much different than the FR's I've heard about in the past. After answering some questions, I was required to have two of my bank accounts fax forms to AMEX stating the current balance as well as the a average balance for the last 6 months, which AMEX called to verify the authenticity of later. Never asked for any tax docs, but they did slap a 5K limit on the personal platinum and a 3K limit on the biz Gold.

The lady I was conversing with wasn't particularly pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.