First, a big thanks to everyone here. There's so many helpful members giving good instructions, links, and ideas on getting and using miles.
I just picked up some of the good cards that people have been advocating, but I'm not going to be hitting the spending limit on a couple even though there's really lucrative bonuses. My daily spending is low and I don't have much that makes sense for me to prepay on - definitely not enough to earn out all the bonuses that are possible right now.
The Mint and gift cards are a no-go for me, and likewise I don't have many expenses to prepay. I do have some spare cash in the bank, though. Here's what I'd like to do if possible, in order of preference:
1. Funding online bank accounts, brokerage accounts, or certificates of deposits via credit card and also getting a significant bonus for it
2. Funding online bank accounts, brokerage accounts, or CD via credit card without getting hit with a fee
3. I'm willing to eat a low fee on something to transfer the money between two accounts I have and back into the bank if nothing else is available
I found a lot of threads from 2009 and earlier on bank accounts that work, but there's some warnings about places no longer taking credit cards or getting labeled as a cash advance. All guidance here is very welcome and appreciated - first question, are there any online bank accounts I can fund via CC with no fee and get a bonus? Second, if no bonus, anywhere I can fund without a fee? Third, best service for transferring money between two accounts I own both while minimizing fees, not getting labeled as a cash advance, and not getting banned/frozen on that service?
I'm outside of the USA right now, so can't do the Mint. I could do a bit on gift cards if I was close and had nothing else, but nowhere near enough to get all the spending bonuses. And then, my expenses are pretty low. I just... don't spend much for my life right now.
So yeah, I know it's tricky. I figure only need to find 1-2 good options, though, and that should be enough.
If you're not going to hit the spend, then getting those cards was a waste!!!! Dings on your credit inquiries, and the credit card company basically is able to take advantage of you by not having to give you the bonuses!!
I feel like you're breaking FT rules by not hitting the spending requirements for the bonuses.
Have any friends buying something expensive soon? Maybe they'll put it on your card and pay you?
How far off, in general, are you going to be? Just wondered if we're talking a need to get $5,000 or $500.
- Perhaps there is a trip you need to take later one. Buy the tickets now - get a changeable/refundable fare and just refund or reticket later
- Buy all your Christmas and other gifts now. Plus you'll be done shopping for the year.
- Maybe your daily needs aren't so great but there still may be things that you will need, that you could stock up on (nonperishables, batteries, ). Especially if you grab stuff on sale.
- I also like the suggestion of seeing if a friend has a big purchase coming up, paying you back and using your card. Even aside from large purchases - depending on how much time you have to meet the spend requirement, add a very trusted friend/family member as an authorized user...just work out them sending you payment on time each month.
*Ask your doctor if 84fiero is right for you