Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Not directly. Indirectly is another story. And that story involves durians, alligator repellant, Mexican jumping beans, rotary snowplows and a bunch of silver Stars of David sent to China to ward off the Jewish undead.

It still amazes me to this day that the bloggers never caught on to that racket.

PM me Mr. Doe if you are looking for size seven soleless shoes.

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Do any bank accounts allow Amex funding? Would love to knock out my SPG spend requirement.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by whistler814
Note: This will only work if you have an Android smartphone with NFC capability.

The Google Wallet App features a virtual prepaid card that you can load with any debit or credit card. This Google prepaid card will be discontinued soon, and remaining funds can be requested in the form of balance refund check ($5 fee).

Last day to reload GPC: (Before?) September 17, 2012
GPC discontinued: On October 17, 2012

Important numbers:
$2 monthly maintenance (after 30 days without any transactions)
$5 balance refund check
$2999 max per POS transaction and per day
$8000 card max balance
May take up to 8 weeks to receive refund (as per FAQ)

GPC Termination
GPC Refund FAQ
Updated ToS

Personal experience:
-Found $10 in Google wallet funds just for signing up
-Able to purchase other prepaid cards using GPC
-Unlike debit transactions, not able to receive cash back using GPC

Bottom line:
Easy, low risk method to get $8000 spend if you can float the amount for up to 3 months. Hope someone can use this.
good info and thanks for posting. Wish I could partake... I have an ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 but sadly I find there is no NFC built into any tablet. I used to have a HTC Inc2 but when it died I got the iphone4s.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Not directly. Indirectly is another story. And that story involves durians, alligator repellant, Mexican jumping beans, rotary snowplows and a bunch of silver Stars of David sent to China to ward off the Jewish undead.

It still amazes me to this day that the bloggers never caught on to that racket.

PM me Mr. Doe if you are looking for size seven soleless shoes.
I have lost my sole to the god of miles... somewhere in china with the undead jews
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
So how about an NFC Android device that isn't a phone? I looked around but couldn't find one. Should be cheaper, wouldn't require a contract, and could be resold after the Google Wallet account is closed out.

It might not be technically possible - the device may require full-time communication via cell data service. But if there's a Wifi one out there, I might be in.
Thanks for reminding me. Android tablets with NFC (Google Nexus 7, for example) should work. NFC does not require wi-fi or cell service (think contactless payments - Paywave/Paypass).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:57 am

Thanks for reminding me. Android tablets with NFC (Google Nexus 7, for example) should work. NFC does not require wi-fi or cell service (think contactless payments - Paywave/Paypass).
Or everyone could go to the google wallet page and see the devices eligible...took two seconds to see nexux 7 as being marketed for google wallet.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing looking too cheap there:

http://support.google.com/wallet/bin...&answer=134793
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Or everyone could go to the google wallet page and see the devices eligible...took two seconds to see nexux 7 as being marketed for google wallet.
•Samsung Nexus S on Sprint
•Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sprint
•Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+ (available for purchase on Google Play)
•Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint
•LG Viper™ 4G LTE on Sprint
•LG Optimus Elite™ on Sprint and Virgin Mobile
•HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint
•Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (WiFi only) (available for purchase on Google Play)
Short list. No joy for me.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:21 am
Suspended

@ $99 at Best Buy, this seems to be cheapest device I can find.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:26 am

What about buying a certain item that doesn't require a contract and then leveraging the consumer friendly store's return policy that has no questions asked 14 day policy?

Get device, get app, load monies, let it sit/request refund, return item...profit?!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
What about buying a certain item that doesn't require a contract and then leveraging the consumer friendly store's return policy that has no questions asked 14 day policy?
Get device, get app, load monies, let it sit/request refund, return item...profit?!
That's where this would come in:
Originally Posted by Stoughton
@ $99 at Best Buy, this seems to be cheapest device I can find.
$99 to Best Buy. $25 top up card at Target (BB?) for one month's service to VM. Return phone - $25.
Is it one ppc per device?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
so will this loading on google wallet really work? I'm assuming it only works now since they are discontinuing the card and will send a check when i request it in oct?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
That's where this would come in:

$99 to Best Buy. $25 top up card at Target (BB?) for one month's service to VM. Return phone - $25.
Is it one ppc per device?
Why even load up for service? Why not get a device that doesn't need a contract or load? Seems like I was referencing the Nexus 7 tablet. Return for free and no charge to load because you don't have to load or pay for contract.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
ADK, YDGPM.

Mike
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Why even load up for service? Why not get a device that doesn't need a contract or load? Seems like I was referencing the Nexus 7 tablet. Return for free and no charge to load because you don't have to load or pay for contract.
From which B&M store can you buy one? Given that you have to complete all the loading to your PPC (at only $3K per day) by the 17th, time would be of the essence as there's only 6 days left.

I certainly wouldn't count on having the Nexus 7 being shipped and delivered before that time.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:10 am

Easy, low risk method to get $8000 spend if you can float the amount for up to 3 months. Hope someone can use this.
Do you suppose you can load the google prepaid with other prepaids? It would nice to draw them down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.