Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Beanies are also associated with Cecils.

Originally Posted by Bttc
I'm surprised more people don't know about them. 'Beanie' is a common name for the close-fitting knitted caps popular in winter. They are a common item of clothing purchased to try and meet minimum spend requirements because of their wide variety of uses--although they are normally hats, you can also use them as gloves, socks, a ski-mask, you name it.
Unfortunately, because these hats are so useful, it's a popular choice for scammers, which led to Office Depot not selling them any more. You can still get them at other stores, but many CVS/Walgreens are selling them at cash only.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Mighty uncool, captain! We don't want those in the lesser 49 flocking down here to lay their unclean hands on our fine Texas gift cards. Go away! Shooo! There is a better sale in Oklahoma!

[QUOTE=captaincool;19770296]A couple actual contributions to this thread (it seems so few & far between):

1. For those of you in TX, HEB has a sale for $50 off $300 gift cards. Ends 12/4 **Just an Urban Legend**

2. Not as lucrative but nationwide, Toys 'R Us has 10% a few gift cards including amazon starting 12/2. YMMV on upgrading gift cards
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I really wish this thread would talk about getting up spending (i.e. specific examples, and Q&A related to those examples), instead of random, unhelpful commentary.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Mighty uncool, captain! We don't want those in the lesser 49 flocking down here to lay their unclean hands on our fine Texas gift cards. Go away! Shooo! There is a better sale in Oklahoma!
Too bad, we shall come anyway! There's nothing in Oklahoma anyway, unless someone can help Cushing clear their oil glut and make some spend from it
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I really wish this thread would talk about getting up spending (i.e. specific examples, and Q&A related to those examples), instead of random, unhelpful commentary.
Oh, the irony.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:14 pm

Posts #4452, #4454 and #4455 all have good specific examples on how to get spending up.

Post #4455 had an example of getting $500+ in spending and making $88 or so in doing it as well. Your comment ignores the fact that there is good information in this thread. Yes there is a good amount of noise, but you need to read through that--we're talking about ways you can make money here; I don't think it is out of line to expect you to do some of the hard work.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:59 pm

I wish Santa Claus was real.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smedleyb
Oh, the irony.

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Posts #4452, #4454 and #4455 all have good specific examples on how to get spending up.

Post #4455 had an example of getting $500+ in spending and making $88 or so in doing it as well. Your comment ignores the fact that there is good information in this thread. Yes there is a good amount of noise, but you need to read through that--we're talking about ways you can make money here; I don't think it is out of line to expect you to do some of the hard work.
I guess you missed the fact that I posted #4455 :P

I'm not averse to reading through long threads to get gems of information, I'm even happy to contribute when I can (as in the aforementioned post) - but I think the SNR in this thread is particularly low.

Last edited by nabeelj; Nov 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dawgs
Just got back from my CVS. They would not let me use my Hilton Amex or an card to buy Vanilla cards.

Got my BlueBird card last night and am not able to fund it.

Should I just try Walgreens and other CVS's in the area or has Vanilla gone all cash?
My local cvs has a corporate made sticker on each register saying credit cards can be used for gift and reloadable cards.

Where are you?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:13 pm

I guess you missed the fact that I posted #4455 :P

I'm not averse to reading through long threads to get gems of information, I'm even happy to contribute when I can (as in the aforementioned post) - but I think the SNR in this thread is particularly low.
It did slip by me that you authored it; it was a great post. Ideas such as those are exactly how best to meet spending, and make a little money to cover some of the money-losing deals discussed here (giftcards, etc).

However the noise covers up the good stuff and confuses those who don't want to do the hard work. If this thread was nonstop good info things would be closed down 2x as fast as they already do.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Beanies are also associated with Cecils.
Beanie my boy! LOL

I loved that cartoon. OK, I just aged myself.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: HH, SPG, IHG, Club Carlson, Hyatt, AA, DL, AmEx, UR
Found a bean supply at a local CVS. Allowed to purchase with card, but one AmEx won't go through. It is the same AmEx (AA) as another that did go through at the same time. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by modgepodgetea
Found a bean supply at a local CVS. Allowed to purchase with card, but one AmEx won't go through. It is the same AmEx (AA) as another that did go through at the same time. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Inconsistent with your broader spending patterns on the card?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
I wish Santa Claus was real.
He's not?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by diogenes2011
He's not?
Great. Thanks for ruining my xmas. I had a huge wishlist and no way wife was gonna get me all of it...he was my only hope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.