Getting spending up without the Mint

Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Several dozen
Color inside the lines. Just because we practice the dark arts that doesn't give us a license to join the dark side. As folks have noted, the Cardinals are likely to come calling if you play this game.

Originally Posted by timljh
Hi all,

I have an idea on hitting the spending requirement. As we all know, the airline companys are selling some refundable ticket which cost at least 5000. If I buy an advanced refundable ticket, say 6 months prior to departure, and then make it charged on my new-opened card. Keep the ticket for 3 months and then cancel it, then the total cost will be refunded to the card. And during this period, transfer all the bonus points or miles, even run out of them. I am not sure what will happen to the card issuer and whether they will claim back the points or not. But I will definitely do the experiment and report back after I succeed.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Perhaps.
Explain the difference in disclosing deal details in code (that you and many others do) and not disclosing any details at all? I will even go one better. How about only disclosing deal details after you are shut down or the deal is no longer valuable to you. How does that make one look?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
Explain the difference in disclosing deal details in code (that you and many others do) and not disclosing any details at all? I will even go one better. How about only disclosing deal details after you are shut down or the deal is no longer valuable to you. How does that make one look?
many here talk in code.
yup

but I can tell you that when people PM with me and seem like decent folk--newbies and old, I tend to help and provide info on things that work. Some things are old ones like say starbucks, nordies, eddie bauer or buying BC for GCs, clarifications on the tweakings of WF, etc. But sometimes I collaborate with known persons of girth to figure out greater things. We both do this I think. And that's fine. But I am just saying that your method of posting in this thread appears to be more... well, "I know X but you do not, and you cannot so there" than others' do.

I'm not saying my methods are the best or the only way, but many here may wish that you would be a bit more, well, open sounding. Even if you are NOT going to give up the good or even have any to give up, you could at least appear that way. To me right now you do not. To me you often criticize people and tend to give them the bad news but not much good news. Maybe in private you are all sunshine but on here your one line blurbs, although often brutally honest or true about XYZ deal, are often only just that: brutal.

For example, the reason I did not previously bring up NS is because I figured it was still working nicely for enough people. but after some 25+ PMs on the subject and emails between people I have known for a while, it came clear to me that this gig is faltered and we all ought to try and ban together to counter their world. After all you have seen posts on here from people who STILL have thousands of dollars out there with NS, and while we all should and do go into this being able to float such funds, the sheer fact is that we still want it back. I offered a means through which we could, as a group, try to get it back. Was it perfect? No. Am I trying to tout myself as the savior? No. But my suggestion offered up a nugget of something to some people... whereas your posts on the subject, in the opinion of not just me, merely told us all how wrong we were to do something--and you wont even tell us what that is. You are a lot like a bank in that way.

If I have missed anything, let me know.
I think we both have things to offer to people here and we both have methods that work for us, but I think I am attempting to work WITH people openly and you are appearing to do the very opposite of that.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Color inside the lines. Just because we practice the dark arts that doesn't give us a license to join the dark side. As folks have noted, the Cardinals are likely to come calling if you play this game.
Agreed, there are ways to get your spend up that are much safer than this.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:32 am

I think we both have things to offer to people here and we both have methods that work for us, but I think I am attempting to work WITH people openly and you are appearing to do the very opposite of that.
Lets set the record straight. I am not open about these deals and dont pretend to be. One thing I am is consistent.

As far as NS goes anyone that has their account closed should receive their money in 2-4 weeks. If you cant wait that long you should not play this game. This is the big problem with many here and bloggers, that dont mention this important part of the game.

As far as brutal you are spot on. Was it brutal when I posted that the info in the WFs OP was wrong, sure. I would suggest that non-info was very helpful. Others dug around and found out what the true limits were.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever."
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems we have run into a few instances where those with power have decided to just 'do things' without explanation. Further proof that the miles and points game is rarely just
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lets set the record straight. I am not open about these deals and dont pretend to be. One thing I am is consistent.

As far as NS goes anyone that has their account closed should receive their money in 2-4 weeks. If you cant wait that long you should not play this game. This is the big problem with many here and bloggers, that dont mention this important part of the game.

As far as brutal you are spot on. Was it brutal when I posted that the info in the WFs OP was wrong, sure. I would suggest that non-info was very helpful. Others dug around and found out what the true limits were.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever."
well ok fine. be brutal. But like I said, you need not sit there and toss lightning bolts at others who have yet to achieve your level of grandeur. It doesnt sit well. And if you dont care about that, why are you even on here commenting at all?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:44 am
Suspended

[/B]
To expand on this for those still using the card:

Your account may/will be closed w/o warning it simply goes away and you are (obviously) unable to use the card AND you will be unable to access your online account this means no access to records of transactions.

Keep track of your expenditures as once they close it, it's your word against theirs in terms of balance.

If you call the CSR, you will get someone with marginal communication skills who will tell you nothing other than it has been closed. You will not get a reason. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, youll be told none are available and they will call you back

They will not call you back

You will be told it will take up to 20 days to get a refund check. They likely wont tell you this is 20 business days.

They will most likely take the entire period of time to get you your money. My account was closed on August 13th. Im still waiting for my funds.

If you cant float the balance for a month, do not do this. They can, and they probably will, shut you down for unexplained reasons. Even if youre doing everything by the rules, they still have the right to close your account. While I know what probably got mine closed, its really a crap shoot on what might trigger it for anyone else.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:48 am

well ok fine. be brutal. But like I said, you need not sit there and toss lightning bolts at others who have yet to achieve your level of grandeur. It doesnt sit well. And if you dont care about that, why are you even on here commenting at all?
You just continue taking shots.

I am here because I enjoy collaborating with members who know how to use discretion and are willing to try things instead of just being spoon feed.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
You need to call the AML/compliance dept.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To expand on this for those still using the card:

Your account may/will be closed w/o warning it simply goes away and you are (obviously) unable to use the card AND you will be unable to access your online account this means no access to records of transactions.

Keep track of your expenditures as once they close it, it's your word against theirs in terms of balance.

If you call the CSR, you will get someone with marginal communication skills who will tell you nothing other than it has been closed. You will not get a reason. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, youll be told none are available and they will call you back

You will be told it will take up to 20 days to get a refund check. They likely wont tell you this is 20 business days.

They will most likely take the entire period of time to get you your money. My account was closed on August 13th. Im still waiting for my funds.

If you cant float the balance for a month, do not do this. They can, and they probably will, shut you down for unexplained reasons. Even if youre doing everything by the rules, they still have the right to close your account. While I know what probably got mine closed, its really a crap shoot on what might trigger it for anyone else.
exactly my experience.
And I had one other step in the middle... at one point my acct was restricted but a call to CS led me to fraud who, after a long hold time did allow me to send in my IDs (scans) and this eventually turned my acct back on. I was then able to go a bit over the $15k we all have now found to be a high limit with NS. With that, and the fact i was now being offered other NS products, AND got the chance to do the referral, I figured I was somehow OK'd by NS. Like I said a good month of no use at all resulted in them just shutting me down anyway and all i was on the hook for was the $20 for that referral.

So for me it was hardly about the money (but I wanted it) but more about WHY, HOW and principle. Yeah whatever these banks or GCs can shut people down for whatever reason they may wish to attach but when pressed they ultimately do have to have one. And they would, if brought to court, etc, ultimately would send your money. They just figure they can make us suffer for a bit first.

I am moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee than prepared to have several thousand on play on deals like this if need be. It aint pretty but I can and will do it. Like Pickles had reported with Square holding his funds for a long time, I had the same thing happen with intuit. They threatened 270 days! But based on QL's thinking, I just just allow that and suck it up as part of the game and not fight to get it back. NO. I fought and did get it back in about 35 days. And so my reasoning--once again--for sharing this NS issue was to enlighten others so that they too can find the means individually or collectively to get back their funds! If that action is seen as horridly wrong by this place, then I'll quit Ft here and now.

We used NS as a tool and hopefully it worked as a vehicle more than it hurt. For many it did. For some maybe it still does. And as Stoughton says above, we followed the T&Cs as we saw them in print. But it seems NS decided to play hardball and so that's why I suggested we ban together to try and get THEM on the run here. or to at the very least get them to pay up.

no one could have known (QL included) that they would want to hold funds for 20+ business days unless it happened to him too. It angers me that they should both do that AND lie about calling us back and not providing more info, which is why I call them the scammers. Again, we followed the T&Cs. And while are actions could be 'not what the program was intended for' my thinking here is: They should have designed a better product with clearer terms.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had. no reply
I called a few times.
Oh btw... I got put through to them. Just got a voicemail and left some. Do YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU have the actual number to someone in compliance or?...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:58 am
Suspended

Don't have the number.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't have the number.
neither does Ql, I bet. then again if he did, he would not want to provide it because that would be feeding. (but that would be dumb in this case, cuz providing a number stave off troubles is different than providing some nugget that makes miles that people should learn how to do on their own)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:08 am

neither does Ql, I bet.
Lets make this real simple. If I cant produce the number I will leave FT and not return if I do produce the number do you agree to leave and not return. Here is your chance to do the whole FT community a great service but like always you will just talk out of both sides of your mouth!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.