FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   VENMO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144722-venmo.html)

Ben Linus Nov 5, 2010 8:48 pm

Newbie Question

DELETED

Stoughton Nov 5, 2010 8:57 pm

I've been looking into it and found a cpl things I don't like - they reserve the right to voice/sms spam your phone with ads and they may do a hard pull

If it does work as claimed, I've been considering getting a pair of burner phones and givingit a shot. No way I'm giving them my real #

mahasamatman Nov 5, 2010 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 15084545)
I've been considering getting a pair of burner phones and givingit a shot.

Get a Google Voice number.

Max M Nov 6, 2010 4:51 am

The rhetorical question is, will individual banks treat "Venmo Payments" as a cash advance rather than a charge?

I'm guessing people that have set their CA limit to $0 on their credit cards have little to lose?

iluvthsgam Nov 9, 2010 2:42 pm

I have a venmo account and in the process of getting a new card - but i'll give this a try and report back and let you know what it comes out as.

daringtofly Nov 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks, iluvthsgam, and welcome to FlyerTalk! I eagerly await your report :)

ddutil Nov 10, 2010 6:32 pm

this requires an invite code. If somebody sends me one, I will be the guinea pig.

pWei Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Their faq states that the max withdrawal per month is $500. Churners would best stick to shiny golden pieces.

However, I'm quite taken with this service. If you have an iphone or android phone, I encourage you to download the app. It's very useful, even if you don't already have an account.

gobears1993 Jan 2, 2011 12:39 pm

invitation code

If anyone has an extra invitation code, please send me a PM. I'd love to sign up for Venmo.

QL_714 Jan 2, 2011 1:17 pm

Be careful your account is not FDIC insured. Here today gone tomorrow!!! You might want to do a little research first.

dweick Jan 2, 2011 3:40 pm

Great, just one more deal that some have already been using PRUDENTLY that will now be destroyed within a month by hordes of moochers.

There is a reason it hasn't shown up before on FT Ben, this is the wrong forum to publicize a very fragile deal.

What's the over/under on when Venmo shuts off the spigot?

I'll take by Jan 7th.

dweick Jan 2, 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by gobears1993 (Post 15566910)
If anyone has an extra invitation code, please send me a PM. I'd love to sign up for Venmo.

A great example of mooching in action. One post, asking for a freebie.

dweick Jan 2, 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Max M (Post 15085709)
The rhetorical question is, will individual banks treat "Venmo Payments" as a cash advance rather than a charge?

I'm guessing people that have set their CA limit to $0 on their credit cards have little to lose?

It doesn't matter what you set your cash advance limit to. Banks aren't obligated to not process a cash advance if your limit is zero and credit card charges can and are recategorized by your bank without regard to your cash advance limit.

It's been discussed many times.

dweick Jan 2, 2011 3:51 pm

But since this is going to die a quick death, PM your email address to me and I'll send you an invite.

xp0 Jan 2, 2011 4:01 pm

With such a small monthly limit ... Not sure it will die that quickly.