Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VENMO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
So I plan on just sending money to my parents to meet minimum spend. As long as I don't care about the 3% fee its OK to send $3000 a month?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
So I plan on just sending money to my parents to meet minimum spend. As long as I don't care about the 3% fee its OK to send $3000 a month?
I suggest you acquaint yourself with taxation laws. Greater than 14k an year you may have tax liability on the gifts and the IRS would come knocking.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
You might as well use Google Wallet at that point. At least then it's. 1% better. I know it's not a lot, but it's just as easy, and it could add up if you're sending a lot of money.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by seahawksunite
I suggest you acquaint yourself with taxation laws. Greater than 14k an year you may have tax liability on the gifts and the IRS would come knocking.
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I will limit it to 13k for now. I put 3k in kiva for my last ms, but locking up money for 6 months is not ideal.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seahawksunite
May and could are the operative words - I've already taken this process through an audit and provided the money is transferred to the second part for them to pay a bill or settle an expense incurred by the second party, or to pay the second party for an expense already incurred by the first party, there is no problem.

The money is not taxable, but yes, it's possible the flow may need an explanation *if* either party is audited on another matter and the flow is discovered - the movement of the money in of itself won't trigger an audit.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Phantom707
You might as well use Google Wallet at that point. At least then it's. 1% better. I know it's not a lot, but it's just as easy, and it could add up if you're sending a lot of money.
Did you mean GW is 2% or 2.9%?

From the Google Wallet FAQ

Will I be charged a fee to send money?

It's free to send money directly from your bank account or from your Google Wallet Balance. To send money using a credit card or debit card, there will be a flat fee of 2.9% per transaction (minimum $0.30).
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you mean GW is 2% or 2.9%?

From the Google Wallet FAQ
Sorry. Autocorrect on my phone changed it. Yeah, it's 2.9%. From my own research, that's the best rate out there in terms of sending money to friends using a credit card, but it may be worth looking into yourself.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:29 am

Has anyone ever gotten Venmo to clear out your old cards so you can try new ones?

The cards in my account are long gone and I can't re-add.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
In your experiences, how safe is Venom these days? Read reports last year that there were several security breaches.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
In your experiences, how safe is Venom these days? Read reports last year that there were several security breaches.
In my experiences, venom is really dangerous. Especially if it's from a snake or scorpion. The Spider-Man villain is kind of lame, though.

Venmo, on the other, hand...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Phantom707
In my experiences, venom is really dangerous. Especially if it's from a snake or scorpion. The Spider-Man villain is kind of lame, though.

Venmo, on the other, hand...
LOL

That was auto-correct that I didn't catch! I've got my point earning debit with ST for another 4 weeks and want to do as much as I can to earn points. I'll proceed with Venmo.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:31 am

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but is there any tax implications regarding the amount you receive on venmo? I was congratulated by Venmo last year for being in the top 1% in receiving venmo payments lol (about $60,000). I literally pay for every bill for my family and friends (racking up them miles). TIA.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:40 am

Has anyone tried simon GC with Venmo? Does it count as a prepaid card and thus qualify for 0% fee?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by iskwee
You can register your card but it doesn't recognize it as a debit card. It'll charge 3% transaction fee for Simon VGC.
qazwsx

A quick search of the thread found the answer you were looking for. there is a lot of information out there from the FT community if you just take the time to look for it.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jnb_tx
qazwsx

A quick search of the thread found the answer you were looking for. there is a lot of information out there from the FT community if you just take the time to look for it.
Good point. That said, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this forum/thread regarding Venmo's treatment of AmEx gift cards (it sees them as a debit card and thus charges no fees to send money from them). Subject to Venmo's 6 cards per 6 months and $2999.99/week sending limit. Still probably the cheapest/easiest way to knock out minimum spend for many people. Recently ordered a 3k AGC for a new (no 24 month language) Citi AA card and sent 2999.99 to my brother. He cashed out to bank and reimbursed me via Google Wallet. Total cost was $3.95 AGC purchase fee (used a free shipping promo code). Definitely cheaper/easier than MSing the 3k with Simon VGCs which is my normal method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.