Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by nowstime
Is everybody's AP going through ok? I'm getting an error since last week. After inputing my card info the system goes to error and telling they are trying to fix it.
No error for me...

But, the last payment on one account went to 'pending' and has been stuck there for a while.

Last time this happened my entire 'loop' of accounts eventually got nuked soon after. Really 'hoping' that this is just a delay this time (as it is reported that it can happen), but, 'preparing' for the fact that this loop is likely nuked now. This is a nice well aged loop of near 3 years... would hate to see it go.

UPDATE: 'x' hours later payment completed.

Not going to do any thing with any of the other accounts in this loop for a weeks or so.

Last edited by thehawk75; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:43 pm

no problems doing mine on the 1st.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Being doing AP for some time and got permission to add Mom in-law to the chain. Setup and verified her account for her. 1st transfer was with a CGC I had left over. Payment went in to 'Pending'. Nuts - the CGC have my zip not hers. 24hrs later She gets this email:
--
Greetings from Amazon Payments.

We are writing because it has come to our attention that you have opened multiple accounts.

Amazon WebPay has a combined sending and receiving limit of $1000 per month per user. Multiple accounts opened to potentially enhance this limit will be closed.

All pending transactions have been canceled and your Amazon Payments accounts closed.

We appreciate your compliance with this matter and thank you for your interest in Amazon Payments.

Best regards,
Thank you.
Amazon.com
-----
There are no multiple accounts under her SSN (that I know of!). Odd they use this response to close the account.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
I got the same message today, but was able to add the new credit card to my regular Amazon account, and then use it on AP.
Bingo! this worked perfectly - thanks, MarkMColo.

My original post:

Originally Posted by Biblioman1
"We're very sorry, but we're having trouble doing what you just asked us to do" I've been getting this message for the past two days when I try to add funding from a new credit card. Has anyone successfully added a new card in the last few days? Seems like a long IT outage for someone like Amazon.

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by rdover1
Being doing AP for some time and got permission to add Mom in-law to the chain. Setup and verified her account for her. 1st transfer was with a CGC I had left over. Payment went in to 'Pending'. Nuts - the CGC have my zip not hers. 24hrs later She gets this email:
--
Greetings from Amazon Payments.

We are writing because it has come to our attention that you have opened multiple accounts.

Amazon WebPay has a combined sending and receiving limit of $1000 per month per user. Multiple accounts opened to potentially enhance this limit will be closed.

All pending transactions have been canceled and your Amazon Payments accounts closed.

We appreciate your compliance with this matter and thank you for your interest in Amazon Payments.

Best regards,
Thank you.
Amazon.com
-----
There are no multiple accounts under her SSN (that I know of!). Odd they use this response to close the account.
When it comes to an 'established' chain/loop (i.e one that has been working well for 'some time'), I'd advise the zen philosophy:

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by thehawk75
When it comes to an 'established' chain/loop (i.e one that has been working well for 'some time'), I'd advise the zen philosophy:

If it ain't broke don't fix it
I like it. I have been doing A->B->A for some time now and don't plan to change it. Hopefully it will be fine.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
I like it. I have been doing A->B->A for some time now and don't plan to change it. Hopefully it will be fine.
Samesies.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by JerMah
Samesies.
+1, working beautifully for last 2+ years.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:37 pm

I just signed up and it siad ONLINE PURCHASES. We maybe okay again this year with AP.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:33 pm

Amazon Payments

Delete

Last edited by oracles4444; Oct 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:36 pm

Delete
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by sharka
Quote:

Originally Posted by oracles4444

Sorry if this has been answered. i have read the entire thread however it has been awhile now.

Just want to make sure that this method will be OK.

I am sending 1k to my best friend via amazon payments. He then receives it and deposit it into my bank. He then sends me 1k from his credit card to my account. I then deposit it. Will amazon say anything because they see me giving him 1k and he is giving me 1k back?

Thanks for your input

Surprised you missed this If you read back already,as the answer would be there many times.
The general concensus here is never do back and forth transactions (A-B/B-A) as this "may" raise red flags with Amz. and possible shut down.
You will see many (including myself) who will advise A to B and B to C. Then C can send money back to A.

Cheers
As I said before, I did read the entire post however it HAS BEEN AWHILE, again thanks for the input and all that answered without the extra useless comments
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:41 pm

Amazon Payments

Is something wrong with amazon, I used my credit card to send 1k to my friend and after the transaction, it doesn't show anything. When I do it again, it states I have exceeded my limit however my friend didn't receive anything and my credit card does not show any transaction, will it show up soon? If not will the exceed limit disappear and will I be able to do it again or must I wait until next month to try again? Thanks again for the input
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I see exclusions for Travel, Government Services, Utilities, and Education. But PayPal is specifically on the list as approved for 5% so gives hope that AP will be eligible as well.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by oracles4444
As I said before, I did read the entire post however it HAS BEEN AWHILE, again thanks for the input and all that answered without the extra useless comments
Well, I would suggest in the future if you wanted some help with questions not to be too critical for someone trying to explain in all trying to help you. As comments that are "extra useless" to you might be helpful to others.

Just as a data: my brothers Amz acct was shut down about 1.5 yrs ago along with his wife for transfers A>B>A. So shutdowns do happen.
Which was why I advise against it and adding an additional member (C) into the mix. But then guess this is "useless" info.
Yes, its very YMMV but better to be on the safe side, but to each their own.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.