Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:48 pm

I love seeing how people are involving their girlfriend/boyfriend/cousin/homeless guy from the street. The whole process is very easy. Almost every question has been answered in this 81+ page thread. What has not been answered are the questions from people who are getting too greedy.

I encourage anyone not to respond to posts or messages on this thread that involve other members trying to incorporate other people so they can gain points. There is absolutely no reason you should need to try and get other people like your girlfriend/boyfriend or family members to send/receive money.

I would just like to remind people that this is no different from the mint. These are real transactions that involve large sums of money. You should really think hard before going overboard or jumping in feet first at the start. There are risks involved just like with any other deal.

Also, you should be fully aware that Amazon most likely knows everything that is going on. Companies keep a very close eye on the internet to see what is being said about their company. Not only that, but don't be naive! Amazon tracks your IP address and all your contact information is probably shared by your credit card company. So Amazon knows how many accounts you are opening and track who you send and receive payments from.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:57 pm

AP requires my SSN in order for me to send/receive payments. Is it just me or everybody now? thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:09 pm
umc

Originally Posted by sbbi
AP requires my SSN in order for me to send/receive payments. Is it just me or everybody now? thanks.
Everybody.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by sk8uno
If you send your bf $1000 every month and he sends you $1000 every month, you will likely get shut down.
A lot of us are doing that now and it seems to work OK. Personally, I use odd amounts less than $1000.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by emptiness
What's the limit to avoid IRS tax form? 20 transactions a year( send or receive) regardless of the amount? or 20k a year regardless of the number of transaction?
I know the send, receive without fee is 1k a month.

thanks
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdu...al-Regulations

Gives you the exact information you are looking for.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Yeap, had to enter SSN to receive a payment just now. Won't be hitting $20K in 2013, so 'sall good.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
i just checked and surprisingly it went through. gave me a small scare when it said pending. now i need to fly even lower under the radar.
ok, i just checked and it only says Pending immediately after the payment. if you check about 15 seonds later, it says Success.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbbi
Just you.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Yipee! You got one of Cardinal Fang's 2012 Christmas cards. If it were not for email, he would have sent it postage due with a nice lump of coal.

Originally Posted by IAkH

Be warned guys, just got this today:

Quote:

Greetings from Amazon Payments.

We are writing because it has come to our attention that you have opened multiple accounts.

Amazon WebPay has a combined sending and receiving limit of $1000 per month per user. Multiple accounts opened to potentially enhance this limit will be closed.

All pending transactions have been canceled and your Amazon Payments accounts closed.

We appreciate your compliance with this matter and thank you for your interest in Amazon Payments.

Sincerely,

I didn't do anything new. Been doing the same transactions for over a year now and its been a week since I used this account, so it doesn't seem like anything in particular triggered this action.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Well, as all predicted, send/receive has been disabled for accounts that did not provide SSN.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Well, as all predicted, send/receive has been disabled for accounts that did not provide SSN.
same thing happened to my account
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: No preference
I also
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
it asked the same question about my spouse's account even though we had submitted all that information during account opening, but we put in the info again. Oddly enough, it failed to verify first time around. Second time, it asked us to key in our address, etc along with SSN. After keying in everything, their automated system still couldn't verify and ended up locking her account. Now to call AP and figure out what's going on..
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar
it asked the same question about my spouse's account even though we had submitted all that information during account opening, but we put in the info again. Oddly enough, it failed to verify first time around. Second time, it asked us to key in our address, etc along with SSN. After keying in everything, their automated system still couldn't verify and ended up locking her account. Now to call AP and figure out what's going on..
It asked me for a second time as well, which I did not enter since I already did. Hopefully this is not an issue. Please keep us updated.

Curious minds will wanna know.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
YAY! ^

Now people can use it more like it was intended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.