Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Will a Visa or MC gift card from an office supply store work with AP?
Yes and use the incorrect date trick to avoid the $1 hold and send the full amount after editing it back.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
Yes and use the incorrect date trick to avoid the $1 hold and send the full amount after editing it back.
Not sure if this was just a temporary thing, but the last time i liquidated a few GCs via AP, there was no $1 hold.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:45 am

I've never had the $1 hold while using the correct date, but I suppose YMMV
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
In the past 2 months,I have used Visa gift cards from giftcardmall with AP - no $1 hold

I have also used Amex gift cards with AP - the $1 hold was taken.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:11 am

Some interesting data points there with respect to different GCs depending on the source. The incorrect date method is just a fool proof method that should work on all cards though.

I got a couple of PMs about this, but the information is in some threads, and more recently in this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-payments.html
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
can bluebird be linked to Amazon Payments as a banking account?
I suspect it could.

What could possibly be your motivation for doing this?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:45 am

I just initiated deposits from AP to BB for verification via "Manage my bank accounts". I think it will work as I compared with my other linked bank that was verified via deposits, and it looks like AP verifies via deposit only (doesn't withdraw). Instant verification is not an option for BB in AP.

I hope it works as I can see this being a very convenient option to merge AP account(s) balances to BB and use it as centralized source for CC payments.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I have a balance in my Amazon account from adding Amazon GCs. When I use AP in Jan., will it automatically use that balance first before it lets me use my CC?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:06 am

Balance from Amazon.com is not reflected on Amazon Payments, however you can purchase something on Amazon.com using your AP balance, so it is basically a one way street. Amazon to AP would have made it too lucrative and easy
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:59 am

I initiated two withdrawals yesterday, and now I see these two as "completed" on AP. However, I don't see any deposit posted to my checking account, no pending either. Does it usually take a while to show in checking accounts after the transaction has been completed?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I suspect it could.

Was going to post a near identical reply, however, you beat me to it.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I suspect it could.

AP often counts as DD, which gives you access to free ATM withdrawals with BB.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:59 am

Then what is the big deal about the VR cards? I feel like I am missing something but if you can just load a regular Visa/MC gift card into BB then why all the hype around VR and BB?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exterous
Then what is the big deal about the VR cards? I feel like I am missing something but if you can just load a regular Visa/MC gift card into BB then why all the hype around VR and BB?
You cannot load a regular Visa/MC gift card into BB. You must buy a VR with the gift card to load to BB.

The "expiration date trick" is to send money on Amazon Payments with the gift cards without an temporary authorization charge.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
You cannot load a regular Visa/MC gift card into BB. You must buy a VR with the gift card to load to BB.

The "expiration date trick" is to send money on Amazon Payments with the gift cards without an temporary authorization charge.
Yes - my apologies. I had both threads open and thought I was in the BB one and not the AP one when I typed that response. I was missing something - my wits and reading ability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.