Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
You make a point up to "friendly notice." Beware when Cardinal Fang gets friendly, his eyes roll up, and he smiles like a shark.

The bottom line is AP has been up to no good. My evil twin has been improving internal controls.

Originally Posted by shoreline
Why should this email mean they are monitoring IP addy's? I think it means nothing more than a friendly notice to let you know activity on your account has occured and if it's not you (meaning fraud) you should let them know ASAP.

I received this same email for very different computers in very different locations for the spouse's account. They were simply trying to verify the primary address on the account. Why is it wrong for 2 different people within the same household to have an AP account?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen
That doesn't mean different IPs unless you're using a different internet connection for each of those computers. Once you get past your router, it all looks like its coming from the same IP.
Thanks for mentioning this. I was ~75% sure two computers on the same router would have the same IP addy. Your post saved me searching the interwebs for the answer!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
You make a point up to "friendly notice." Beware when Cardinal Fang gets friendly, his eyes roll up, and he smiles like a shark.

The bottom line is AP has been up to no good. My evil twin has been improving internal controls.
I had made a few transfers and was awaiting for them to post when these emails starting coming in. I had verified the bank account and thought all was well until that point.

Sure hope CF isn't out to get me already. If following their T&C I don't see what the problem should be.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:39 pm

Vanilla Beans were T&C compliant, but Fang killed the beanery at OD. Gotta remember Fang loves to use fear and surprize to keep the faithful guessing.

I had made a few transfers and was awaiting for them to post when these emails starting coming in. I had verified the bank account and thought all was well until that point.

Sure hope CF isn't out to get me already. If following their T&C I don't see what the problem should be.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
great feedback, all, and you're absolutely right that i can't be sure it was using the same account in two different locations that flagged me for this message, but i do follow many of the same practices that you've all mentioned.

i had also opened another unrelated AP account within a few days of that one and hadn't accessed the account from multiple locations as with the others, so i assumed IP was the distinguishing factor. but i can't be sure and it could certainly be an address verification flag or any number of other things.

so it's purely anecdotal, but also not a positive development.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:46 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with Amazon Payments?

Whoever I try to pay it says "We're sorry but this transaction could not be completed because the recipient cannot receive this payment." I tried this with a few recipients. I'm well below the $1k limit as well so that's not the problem.

If I try and use a bank account it looks like it will work, just not on a CCard as the payment method.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Vanilla Beans were T&C compliant, but Fang killed the beanery at OD. Gotta remember Fang loves to use fear and surprize to keep the faithful guessing.

This may be true, but I think it's for purely different reasons.

Apparently there was rampid theft & abuse of the VR's.

So, I really think the over excitement, theft and abuse led to an abrupt Goodbye.

There is no doubt they will continue to tighten internal controls to catch those wishing to have many multiple accounts for abuse of the system.

Personally, from just reading around here for a bit, has led me to believe that there are so many routes to take, there should be no reason to exploit any one system. For those who do, they deserve to get caught with a quick Goodbye.

Greed and laziness get the best of many. That's why all good things must come to an end (because there will always be a small percentage of these folks that exists).

Unfortunately, some of the easy go'ers will get caught in the cross hairs (even though they may be using as intended, leaving a balance, and making purchase). I just hope I am not one of those.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:03 pm

So, I really think the over excitement, theft and abuse led to an abrupt Goodbye.

There is no doubt they will continue to tighten internal controls to catch those wishing to have many multiple accounts for abuse of the system.

Personally, from just reading around here for a bit, has led me to believe that there are so many routes to take, there should be no reason to exploit any one system. For those who do, they deserve to get caught with a quick Goodbye.

Greed and laziness get the best of many. That's why all good things must come to an end (because there will always be a small percentage of these folks that exists).

Unfortunately, some of the easy go'ers will get caught in the cross hairs (even though they may be using as intended, leaving a balance, and making purchase). I just hope I am not one of those.
Do you mean leaving a balance in the jungle prior to "sending" it to someone? And do you mean making a purchase via the jungle with the same card?

I definitely want to roam the jungle as intended Any deep insights you'd like to share would be great! Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
Do you mean leaving a balance in the jungle prior to "sending" it to someone? And do you mean making a purchase via the jungle with the same card?

I definitely want to roam the jungle as intended Any deep insights you'd like to share would be great! Thanks!

Balance---- I just mean leaving a small balance in the account. I don't think the amount is important (just my opinion). But only sending money directly through would appear to be a large red flag. Especially with no other history
or sending A-->B and B-->A (terrible idea).

Not necessarily making a purchase with the same card, only from the same account. Using amazon to make a purchase every once in a while should def. help with the account history. I have used my amazon account for years for purchases; so losing my account and/or relationship with them is not something I wish to endure.

However, you should note, I am very new to AP, but not to amazon.
I am not an educated CC churner here (mostly have been around the hotel, airlines, and car rental threads). Considering those options, but for now, just make an addition to earn a few more miles/ points.

Also, from all the detailed info. here, on blogs, and the AP T&C, leads me to an educated opinion.

I think using various methods would be much better than taking the lazy route and exploiting one system.^ I think it takes time to read and educate yourself, and then carefully plan and follow through to be successful long-term. (again, this is just my opinion).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:47 pm

Seen this before. Not good - I deep six the account and generate a new one with a different card.

Originally Posted by LivninSC
Is anyone else having a problem with Amazon Payments?

Whoever I try to pay it says "We're sorry but this transaction could not be completed because the recipient cannot receive this payment." I tried this with a few recipients. I'm well below the $1k limit as well so that's not the problem.

If I try and use a bank account it looks like it will work, just not on a CCard as the payment method.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:52 pm

Many, many routes - I always run 7 diferent operations at the same time.

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:55 pm

I never zero jungle accounts. I do like to throw junk transactions in the mix to throw Fang some curve balls.

Originally Posted by MilesGator

Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:50 pm

I have the gist of AP, but can someone confirm that AMEX gift cards (such as from BigCrumbs, withOUT the raised numbers) can be used to load Amazon Payments at $1000/month? Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I have the gist of AP, but can someone confirm that AMEX gift cards (such as from BigCrumbs, withOUT the raised numbers) can be used to load Amazon Payments at $1000/month? Thanks
PM active users in the thread. If you have questions I will try and answer to the best of my ability. Send specific questions though, everything else has been pretty laid out by members on here and on blogs.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
The points addiction is like a drug. You could end up dead in a ditch...
This made me LMAO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.