FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

Preacher7 Nov 15, 2012 6:45 am

Whew, that's a relief...

modgepodgetea Nov 15, 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 19687295)
So is AP down for everyone, or just me?

Down for me, too. :-(

AlohaDaveKennedy Nov 15, 2012 6:49 am

Down over here. Observed some processing anomalies in the system yesterday (the old dog wasn't playing old tricks). IMHO there is a very high probability over there that a redbird is hunting for prey.

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 19687295)
So is AP down for everyone, or just me?

mrp20 Nov 15, 2012 8:25 am

For the first time, I was repeatedly locked out of a recently created account

AlohaDaveKennedy Nov 15, 2012 8:31 am

AP is up for me, but I whiff the scent of mint and beans.

djrez4 Nov 15, 2012 8:55 am

Still down for me.

aresay Nov 15, 2012 10:10 am

Up and running again for me

djrez4 Nov 15, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah - back now.

And finally appears to be working. Yesterday was a cluster and the CS reps are relatively useless. I was unable to claim payments yesterday despite having my Ink registered and, as far as I could tell, verified. AP CS could see that the verification transaction had gone through. I could see it as a temporary authorization on my end, but AP didn't consider it verified.

I added a personal card today and everything worked fine. I guess AP doesn't accept business credit cards.

AlohaDaveKennedy Nov 15, 2012 10:58 am

There were also identity checking issues which, to paraphrase Cobain, smelled like Fang spirit.

Originally Posted by djrez4 (Post 19688717)
Yeah - back now.

And finally appears to be working. Yesterday was a cluster and the CS reps are relatively useless. I was unable to claim payments yesterday despite having my Ink registered and, as far as I could tell, verified. AP CS could see that the verification transaction had gone through. I could see it as a temporary authorization on my end, but AP didn't consider it verified.

I added a personal card today and everything worked fine. I guess AP doesn't accept business credit cards.

djrez4 Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 19688989)
There were also identity checking issues which, to paraphrase Cobain, smelled like Fang spirit.

You know, I had to do two searches to figure out what the heck you're talking about with this Cardinal/redbird/Fang stuff. I doubt I'll ever figure out what's going on in the "trick it!" thread.

kilton Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by djrez4 (Post 19689045)
You know, I had to do two searches to figure out what the heck you're talking about with this Cardinal/redbird/Fang stuff. I doubt I'll ever figure out what's going on in the "trick it!" thread.

Trust me you're not missing anything. It's like pig latin -- you're better off just ignoring anyone who uses it.

fet Nov 15, 2012 12:05 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spa...onty_Python%29

Originally Posted by djrez4 (Post 19689045)

peachfront Nov 15, 2012 12:24 pm

how amazon payments helps amazon make money

A lot of hobbyists and small business owners are now writing books for Kindle that once would have been PDFs or blogs. Amazon gets a cut of each sale and then pays the writers (such as myself, she said modestly) fee-free using Amazon Payments. We sellers also sell old books and other used "stuff" and again we get a fee-free payment through Amazon Payments. Other hobbyists have blogs set up where they have te affiliate links to books or hobby items for sale on Amazon. People buy the stuff on Amazon, the affiliate gets a tiny percentage for making the sale, and again Amazon pays the affiliate through Amazon Payments. In other words, Amazon Payments is a payment method but it is also a way to encourage small hobbyists etc. to get their fellow hobbyists to buy books and other items on Amazon. Otherwise, people sell off-Amazon items on sites like eBay, our own blogs, or other hobby sites, and we get paid by Paypal. However, Paypal charges me a fee and Amazon payments is free. So I now put a little more business Amazon's way where I never used to think of selling anything at Amazon or as an Amazon affiliate. See?

That's where Amazon Payments is helping Amazon make more money...they are attracting small hobbyists they wouldn't have previously attracted.

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 19666577)
I don't pretend to know Amazon's view of this particular product, but I will observe that Amazon's business model involves making huge investments to become everything to every consumer. Remember how one time they were just a purveyor of mail-order books? Then books and movies? Now, everything, to the point where they have big-box stores shaking in their boots.

There are plenty of market segments where Amazon is investing big-time in becoming the market leader, even at the expense of short-run profits. I don't know what synergies they see between the payments business and the retailing business, but I know this, Jeff Bezos is a hell of a lot richer than I am, and he didn't get that way (at least so far) except by having more products work out well than badly.

lilpooh108 Nov 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt (Post 19674323)
Citi AA Visa...

Wow that sucks.

I have a Citi AA Visa Business and I did a $1000 charge on 11/12. Posted w/no fee.

Wonder if this is a new thing?

Astrophsx Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by kilton (Post 19689351)
Trust me you're not missing anything. It's like pig latin -- you're better off just ignoring anyone who uses it.

^