Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ramamosn
I need to meet the minimum spending requirements on American Express SPG. Have anyone used SPG on Amazon payments? Will they consider as Cash Advance or Sale? Please help me.
Thanks.
not cash advance you're fine
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
not cash advance you're fine
Thank you.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by ramamosn
I need to meet the minimum spending requirements on American Express SPG. Have anyone used SPG on Amazon payments? Will they consider as Cash Advance or Sale? Please help me.
Thanks.
I've been using Amazon and Bluebird to reach my minimum spend on my SPG Amex, and both have worked great!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine-state
I've been using Amazon and Bluebird to reach my minimum spend on my SPG Amex, and both have worked great!
I can only suggest this, but most probably feel that everything you need to know has already been posted or you can PM an active member in this forum.

Flying under the radar also means not updating your successes. Better to keep this thread not as popular and only post when something goes wrong. I can't stop you from posting, but just my opinion. I'm sure you can google anything you need to know from blogs or other web forums if it's not on here.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: ALL :)
PM

Feel free to PM me directly with any questions you may have regarding this topic.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Flying under the radar also means not updating your successes. Better to keep this thread not as popular and only post when something goes wrong. I can't stop you from posting, but just my opinion. I'm sure you can google anything you need to know from blogs or other web forums if it's not on here.
This is pretty funny coming from the guy who posted step by step instructions on how to use Amex GC's at the mint so he could get BC referrals. Did you find religion?

ETA: Here is the thread that killed Amex GC's working at the mint.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-not-work.html
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: Several dozen
Lets keep the funny business to the business at hand. Why indict peers, when we have institutions to indict, like, say, Bank of America, for mortgage fraud.

Originally Posted by QL_714
This is pretty funny coming from the guy who posted step by step instructions on how to use Amex GC's at the mint so he could get BC referrals. Did you find religion?

ETA: Here is the thread that killed Amex GC's working at the mint.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-not-work.html
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Lets keep the funny business to the business at hand. Why indict peers, when we have institutions to indict, like, say, Bank of America, for mortgage fraud.
What you call “peers” have inflicted more damage on this community then any bank ever has. BOA. Citi, Chase and many others have been very good to me and would guess to you also.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
^
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:15 am
jk2

Has anybody experienced this? Tried to send money to my friend, went through all steps and press "submit". Then I was transferred to the first step (where you select to whom and how much you send). I thought I pressed "cancel" instead of "submit" and repeated this. Got the them outcome. I checked my account limits and see that "sending" limit has decreased on the amounts I "sent". But I didn't send anything, my CC is not charged.

I'm afraid to contact AP. Is it a glitch or my account is suspended?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by jk2
Has anybody experienced this? Tried to send money to my friend, went through all steps and press "submit". Then I was transferred to the first step (where you select to whom and how much you send). I thought I pressed "cancel" instead of "submit" and repeated this. Got the them outcome. I checked my account limits and see that "sending" limit has decreased on the amounts I "sent". But I didn't send anything, my CC is not charged.

I had a similar situation. Sent A>B and is failed. Seconds later I realized I put in the wrong expiration for the card. For about 10 minutes B showed lowered monthly limit. The limit went back to the correct amount quickly.

SG
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:38 am
jk2

Originally Posted by SGJazz
I had a similar situation. Sent A>B and is failed. Seconds later I realized I put in the wrong expiration for the card. For about 10 minutes B showed lowered monthly limit. The limit went back to the correct amount quickly.

SG
I checked my card and everything looks good (number, expiration date). I even tried to use CC I used before last month and got the same problem. Now my "send limit" is 0, but nothing sent. I guess I'll wait 24 hours and then contact AP, if nothing changes.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jk2
I checked my card and everything looks good (number, expiration date). I even tried to use CC I used before last month and got the same problem. Now my "send limit" is 0, but nothing sent. I guess I'll wait 24 hours and then contact AP, if nothing changes.
Happened to me. 24 hours later, all was fine.

Mike
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: Several dozen
Peers as in mileage obtainers. I do agree that there has been self destructive / deal destructive behavior. I do agree that Citi and Chase have been good us all. But I have wasted too many hours now dealing with the failed internal controls and systems at BoA (over in the credit card systems) to cut that institution any slack. They may be too big to fail, but they are not too big to burn at the stake. Got any marshmellows QL_714? Time for this cardinal to make some SMORES!

10/24

Federal prosecutors sued Bank of America for $1 billion on Wednesday, alleging that the bank's former Countrywide unit concocted a mortgage scheme it called the "Hustle" in order to sell thousands of fraudulent and otherwise defective mortgage loans to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

"In order to increase the speed at which it originated and sold loans ... Countrywide eliminated every single checkpoint on loan quality and compensated its employees solely based on the volume of loans originated," the lawsuit, filed in Manhattan federal district court, alleges.

Originally Posted by QL_714
What you call “peers” have inflicted more damage on this community then any bank ever has. BOA. Citi, Chase and many others have been very good to me and would guess to you also.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jk2

Experienced it with a payment that was attempted to be sent to me a few days ago. Both sender and receiver limits went down but there was no transaction. Waited a day and all was back to normal - processed transaction again and it went through fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.