Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:45 pm

Can i load more than $1000 in a calendar month?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by bobby21
Can i load more than $1000 in a calendar month?
yeah .. you can load up to $1000 a day

but seriously .. if you just read one post above yours ..
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:52 am

I'm using Amazon payments to cash out gift cards from FAR software deals. Will adding too many cards in a short time (e.g. 20 added cards in a month) raise a flag? Has anyone had situations whereby they got shutdown for adding too many cards?

I'm still keeping below the limit of $1k and spend about $700-800 each month.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I'm using Amazon payments to cash out gift cards from FAR software deals. Will adding too many cards in a short time (e.g. 20 added cards in a month) raise a flag? Has anyone had situations whereby they got shutdown for adding too many cards?

I'm still keeping below the limit of $1k and spend about $700-800 each month.
Just how many cards do you have? Are they all the same value? What is the value of each card, assuming answer to 2nd question is 'yes'
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:18 am

Purchasing MO

Could anyone please help me out with the wheres and hows that you are buying MO with miles earning cards. I am willing to research and read threads if you could steer me on the right direction.

thanks
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishjames23
Could anyone please help me out with the wheres and hows that you are buying MO with miles earning cards. I am willing to research and read threads if you could steer me on the right direction.

thanks
You can't buy MO's with a credit card, only a debit card or other card that has a PIN. MO's are available pretty much anywhere.

Honestly, that's the extent of it.

For further details I suggest you read the following:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ebit-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...hout-mint.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-citicash.html
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:28 am

Thanks for the answer. I have been reading the Blubird thread but can not figure how to load it with CC.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by WOXOF
Just how many cards do you have? Are they all the same value? What is the value of each card, assuming answer to 2nd question is 'yes'
I will probably have about 40 prepaid cards, and their value range from $10 to $70 (not all the same but always in multiples of $10 or $5). I am thinking of spreading them out over 2-3 mths... do you think that would be ok?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I will probably have about 40 prepaid cards, and their value range from $10 to $70 (not all the same but always in multiples of $10 or $5). I am thinking of spreading them out over 2-3 mths... do you think that would be ok?
Just go to a gas station with them. Go inside and tell the cashier to give you $12 on pump 2, swipe a $12 card, then come back later, $36 on pump 4...etc. You'll be through them in 2-3 months and not need to use your AP.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Stubtify
Just go to a gas station with them. Go inside and tell the cashier to give you $12 on pump 2, swipe a $12 card, then come back later, $36 on pump 4...etc. You'll be through them in 2-3 months and not need to use your AP.
yeah, i would not use AP like this...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Or use the self checkout at the grocery. Ours will use the available funds and then it'll just ask for another form of payment if there's more to pay for. Great way to burn off misc remaining balances on gift cards. Near as I can tell, it'll let you use as many cards as you have until the total is paid
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Or go to the branch of the bank that issues the card(s) and see if they'll cash-advance all the funds out for you. Citi for example is particularly good about this for their gift cards. General rule is the card should have your name on it, and the card should be of the type where the numbers are embossed (raised, rather than flat on the card).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:29 am

You can also use your gift cards to do several partial payments to your utility bills like water and phone/internet, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Or use the self checkout at the grocery. Ours will use the available funds and then it'll just ask for another form of payment if there's more to pay for. Great way to burn off misc remaining balances on gift cards. Near as I can tell, it'll let you use as many cards as you have until the total is paid
Yep, this works for me too.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by stormy16
You can also use your gift cards to do several partial payments to your utility bills like water and phone/internet, etc.
Some will charge a per transaction fee though, which makes this moot (like my city utils).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.