FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

ZontarTheThingFromVenus Oct 3, 2012 9:16 am

I have read this thread from start to finish and have yet to see this answered - is the "$1000 no fee" window set by the calendar month or is it based on some 30 day running total? For example, if I sent $400 to someone on the 10th of the month and another $600 on the 20th, what would be the earliest date that I could send another single $1000 payment fee free? Thanks!

SGJazz Oct 3, 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus (Post 19429608)
I have read this thread from start to finish and have yet to see this answered - is the "$1000 no fee" window set by the calendar month or is it based on some 30 day running total? For example, if I sent $400 to someone on the 10th of the month and another $600 on the 20th, what would be the earliest date that I could send another single $1000 payment fee free? Thanks!

My monthly limits reset on the 1st.

saranyc Oct 3, 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus (Post 19429608)

The 1st.

ronocnikral Oct 3, 2012 1:00 pm

I had my SIL setup an AP account. We verified everything, but it still won't let her send money. So, I tried to send her a payment yesterday and it went through, but it won't let her claim it. Truly odd....

jperiod Oct 3, 2012 1:41 pm

The decline turned out to be a fraud alert on my card, which has been released. But my account says I can't send anymore payments this month since I reached the $1000 limit (even though it never went through!). Thoughts?

AlohaDaveKennedy Oct 3, 2012 1:50 pm

Internal control failure. Works both ways. Over 1k is also possible as is the type of lock out you got. Open another account - use card from another bank. Was yours US Bank or the First Bank of Gaming Libor?

Still offshore...

Originally Posted by jperiod (Post 19431313)
The decline turned out to be a fraud alert on my card, which has been released. But my account says I can't send anymore payments this month since I reached the $1000 limit (even though it never went through!). Thoughts?

CalGuy Oct 3, 2012 1:53 pm

Seen a few people shying away from AP because of potential tax ramifications.

Been sending $1000 to my gf for months now (and then she turns around and pays my credit card). You can send $13,000/yr to someone untaxed, correct? Or is that changed, because I click the "goods/services" button instead of "cash advance"?

AlohaDaveKennedy Oct 3, 2012 1:57 pm

Keep in mind alot of the cardinals are not using continuous monitoring and rely on manual alerts (ala the new teller at BoA who flagged a transaction of mine blessed by all my regular tellers).:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by econjon (Post 19419372)
Keep in mind as clever/difficult as we might think multi party engagements can be, a computer algorithm can identify 3, 4, 5, n party loops very quickly. I think it's safest to follow iqbalt80's strategy. Keep it open ended. Or at least have a time buffer before you close the loop!

Steve in Olympia Oct 3, 2012 1:57 pm

You are thinking of the federal gift tax (which used to have annual threshhold of $13,000), but people here are talking about the federal income tax. (I express no opinion on whether the income tax might apply, and would further recommend that you not take tax advice from anybody on this board, including myself..... who is licensed to practice law in at least one state.)

clacko Oct 3, 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by CalGuy (Post 19431402)
Seen a few people shying away from AP because of potential tax ramifications.

Been sending $1000 to my gf for months now (and then she turns around and pays my credit card). You can send $13,000/yr to someone untaxed, correct? Or is that changed, because I click the "goods/services" button instead of "cash advance"?

yes 13k is tax free as a gift....but not if you get anything of financial value in return...

jperiod Oct 3, 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 19431387)
Internal control failure. Works both ways. Over 1k is also possible as is the type of lock out your got. Open another account - use card from another bank. Was yours US Bank or the First Bank of Gaming Libor?

Still offshore...

Chase. Well, everything's working now. I was able to send two payments to him just now.

iqbalt80 Oct 3, 2012 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 19431430)
Keep in mind alot of the cardinals are not using continuous monitoring and rely on manual alerts (ala the new teller at BoA who flagged a transaction of mine blessed by all my regular tellers).:rolleyes:

Flagged what? Flagged a payment?
Would love to hear the details :)

NewGuyinTheSky Oct 3, 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by jperiod (Post 19431313)

Try again in an hour or so. My $500 prepaid card got declined because it authed for $1.00 and then tried to take $500. After that it kept telling me I've reached my limits. I waited like 30 minutes and tried again and the $1000 limit wasn't a problem.

AlohaDaveKennedy Oct 3, 2012 4:02 pm

Flagged a deposit of a few MOs I got back in the mail that week that had not been deposited in my CU. In rush to head off to trip I deposited them to BoA account with new teller - within minutes my account was flagged. Had to be the teller playing amateur cardinal.:rolleyes:

Major loss - closed USAirways account which was on death row (Sept 30 no more USAirways miles) and Alaska account which had already earned its ticket.:D

Oddly, the bank still wants me to use its credit cards.:p

Originally Posted by iqbalt80 (Post 19431565)
Flagged what? Flagged a payment?
Would love to hear the details :)

Steve in Olympia Oct 3, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by clacko (Post 19431450)
yes 13k is tax free as a gift....but not if you get anything of financial value in return...

The test is not whether you received "anything of financial value in return," but, instead, you must be able to demonstrate that you got full value in return. Otherwise, a penny would be sufficient consideration.

From the IRS's FAQ on gift taxes:

"What is considered a gift?
Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full consideration (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return."

Source:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...n-Gift-Taxes#5

Again, don't take tax advice from anyone on this board (inluding myself) unless they provide a direct link to an authoritative source. Crowd-sourcing is not a defense in an IRS audit........