Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Gold
Have been doing a simple A>B since the early days, but considering B>A for $1K today, followed by A>B>A again tomorrow. Essentially risking a guaranteed $2K in October (figuring a shutdown would come only after the B>A transaction), for an extra $1K in September.

Anybody else in this boat? I'll probably go for it. I can always make up the difference with GC's, I suppose (just a bigger PITA).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Have been doing a simple A>B since the early days, but considering B>A for $1K today, followed by A>B>A again tomorrow. Essentially risking a guaranteed $2K in October (figuring a shutdown would come only after the B>A transaction), for an extra $1K in September.

Anybody else in this boat? I'll probably go for it. I can always make up the difference with GC's, I suppose (just a bigger PITA).
I just did this. I figure I have nothing to lose. If they shut me down before I can to A>B>A in Oct, then I'm in the same place as if I just did A>B in Sept and Oct.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Brewer20
I just did this. I figure I have nothing to lose. If they shut me down before I can to A>B>A in Oct, then I'm in the same place as if I just did A>B in Sept and Oct.
Yeah, that's essentially where I'm at. Although A>B>A is pretty much guaranteed in October, so the choice is really between B and C below, not A and B.

A) A>B in Sept/Oct for $2K. Total = $2K.

B) A>B>A in Sept for $2K. Risk shut down and $0 in Oct. Total = $2K. If not shut down, repeat in October; Total = $4K.

C) A>B Sept. A>B Oct. Then B>A in Oct. If shut down at this point, Total = $3K.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by wanderingnubian
I ... I still don't understand how the address can be hidden. ..
I wondered how that would be possible, so I looked it up. It looks like they must have purchased the item off another account's wish list, that then ships it to them and the full address is hidden from the buying account owner. http://askville.amazon.com/Sending-g...uestId=1018412
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Yeah, that's essentially where I'm at. Although A>B>A is pretty much guaranteed in October, so the choice is really between B and C below, not A and B.

A) A>B in Sept/Oct for $2K. Total = $2K.

B) A>B>A in Sept for $2K. Risk shut down and $0 in Oct. Total = $2K. If not shut down, repeat in October; Total = $4K.

C) A>B Sept. A>B Oct. Then B>A in Oct. If shut down at this point, Total = $3K.
At this point, why bother sweating about it. I would go with option B and go all out and try to maximize your reward. However you are running a little late for Sept for the B and C accounts. But certainly I would have spaced out these transactions much farther out.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:58 am

So... my accounts and family accounts can't send anymore... always goes to pending and then failed (but not suspended after). Tried different cards and different accounts... anyone know maybe why?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mastermind85
So... my accounts and family accounts can't send anymore... always goes to pending and then failed (but not suspended after). Tried different cards and different accounts... anyone know maybe why?
im in the same boat, almost all of my accts have been banned
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jsmithj88
im in the same boat, almost all of my accts have been banned
But when they are banned (I've been suspended in the past) it gave notice that the account was suspended and won't even let you attempt to send. I am not getting any of those notices, are you?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Tomorrow will be a sad day for me, last time I'll be able to use AP. Unlike the mint, I didn't abuse it and only sent $1k a month. While it was no nothing like the mint, was still an easy $12K a year in MS spending just 2 minutes a month without leaving my office and without pissing off any bank tellers (in the days of the mint the tellers would cringe when they would see me walking through the door carrying a couple boxes or when I would wheel in a dolly behind me with 4 to six boxes

I'm curious as to what people are using for the final AP. I'm going out using Discover for the 5% cash back. Will be an easy $50. Wish it was lasting through November so I can get the other $500 on it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:12 pm

I'm using Discover but indirectly: gonna buy two VGCs at Walgreens using Discover's special 5% at select stores in October/November: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...k-oct-nov.html.
Discover regular quarter 5% $1500 will be spent on Kiva.org entirely, like they are every year.

Last edited by mikex163; Sep 30, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Gld 1MM; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

I'm curious as to what people are using for the final AP. I'm going out using Discover for the 5% cash back. Will be an easy $50. Wish it was lasting through November so I can get the other $500 on it.
If that Discover 5% is the new quarterly bonus, might not work with AP. Discover's Program Details states, in part: "... purchases made using virtual wallets or third party payment providers will not receive 5% Cashback Bonus." I don't know if those two categories include AP - anybody know?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by mikex163
I'm using Discover but indirectly: gonna buy two VGCs at Walgreens using Discover's special 5% at select stores in October/November: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...k-oct-nov.html.
Discover regular quarter 5% $1500 will be spent on Kiva.org entirely, like they are every year.
Why Kiva, is it an easy way to get your money back?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:39 pm

Because I get to help a lot of people (60 loans) and still get paid doing so ($75 minus the couple of bucks that might be lost because of defaults or currency exchange losses).

EDIT: and the 3 or 4 cents in lost interest over the loan period naturally

Last edited by mikex163; Sep 30, 2014 at 2:45 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by GreatPeer
If that Discover 5% is the new quarterly bonus, might not work with AP. Discover's Program Details states, in part: "... purchases made using virtual wallets or third party payment providers will not receive 5% Cashback Bonus." I don't know if those two categories include AP - anybody know?
It worked last year so everyone, including myself, is hoping it will work this year too. I'll do $1000 on one account and another $500 on another for the full $1500. I plan on doing all my AP accounts tomorrow, back to back, from different IP addresses. Immediately withdraw to bank account and then say goodbye forever.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:17 pm

Since the announcement that AP P2P payments were ending I have added 2 more accounts to my flow and successfully posted payments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.