Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:27 pm

smoothmunkey and macdonaldj2, Can you please delete those links? Why give him free traffic?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:24 am

I'm having the issue with displaying the last page (page 304 again). I don't expect anyone can read this, but I'm just trying to fill up the page

:-)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 am

Obviously you're not supposed to have the same CC on multiple AP accounts. But what about having the same card on an AP account and a regular Amazon account, both under the same name? Do we have any stories of headhunters coming after people for that?

I've got a card that I'm trying to reach the min spend on, and was planning to use AP, but also have a decent amount of legitimate purchases to make from Amazon. Just making sure I don't have to choose one or the other.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
smoothmunkey and macdonaldj2, Can you please delete those links? Why give him free traffic?
Done.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:11 am

About how long until I can reopen a suspended account? The account had nothing in common with any other accounts (my wife's account) yet was still shut down a few days ago. Bank accounts, SSN, address, phone number, Credit cards, everything was different.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mastermind85
About how long until I can reopen a suspended account? The account had nothing in common with any other accounts (my wife's account) yet was still shut down a few days ago. Bank accounts, SSN, address, phone number, Credit cards, everything was different.
There was a discussion similar to this about 30 posts back... around post #4518.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:31 pm

Strange nonfunctional account

My account has hit an werid state -- can't send nor receive, always got "failed payment", the limit is not yet reached, and no red flag according to amazon payment representative (called twice).

It was all good before until I tried to send payment with amex gc. failed twice, I gave up and used a real citibank cc, again, failed twice, so I called citi and was told the payment was not yet attempted on their side (i.e., no activity at all) Finally, I asked my friend to send me a payment (his account is in good standing), and found it surprisingly again it failed. I thought I am blocked so I called amazon payment finally, but the representative says my account is fine and suspects things wrong with the other party (recepient or sender) -- I readly doubt as my friend told me all his sends and receives are approved except the one to mine.

All failed payments on my account, send or receive (told by my friend), will always start with "pending" for 5-6 hours until it went to "failed"

Strangest thing I ever had, what could I do? Abandon and move on?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
My account has hit an werid state -- can't send nor receive, always got "failed payment", the limit is not yet reached, and no red flag according to amazon payment representative (called twice).

It was all good before until I tried to send payment with amex gc. failed twice, I gave up and used a real citibank cc, again, failed twice, so I called citi and was told the payment was not yet attempted on their side (i.e., no activity at all) Finally, I asked my friend to send me a payment (his account is in good standing), and found it surprisingly again it failed. I thought I am blocked so I called amazon payment finally, but the representative says my account is fine and suspects things wrong with the other party (recepient or sender) -- I readly doubt as my friend told me all his sends and receives are approved except the one to mine.

All failed payments on my account, send or receive (told by my friend), will always start with "pending" for 5-6 hours until it went to "failed"

Strangest thing I ever had, what could I do? Abandon and move on?

Thanks
Maybe you can send Amazon an email to close down the account and then reopen it ?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by aceofcards
Maybe you can send Amazon an email to close down the account and then reopen it ?
Was just going to suggest this. You have I jump through some hoops to find out who to contact but they can close just your payments account and then you should be able to reopen one. I did it a while back with a problem account.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by jcm55a
Question about using AP (and a credit card to get points) and rent:

I'm the primary on the credit card (with spouse as authorized user) and have a joint checking account with my spouse. My spouse also has own checking without my name.

Can I use AP to send $ to my spouse's personal checking account using the credit card as payment without raising any red flags?
I used my Citi Exec, on which I am the primary and my wife is AU, to send AP to my wife's AP account without any issue. I took these precautions: 1) linked wife's AP to her personal checking account, 2) linked her personal CC to AP (i am not AU on her CC), 3) used our friend's address on her account, 4) NEVER access both AP accounts from the same computer (I VPN to work computer to access mine), 5) sent smaller payments.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:37 am

I thought I can use someone else's home address on DH's account but realized there may be problems if the address didn't jive with the one on file with CCC. I chose to input accurate info; que sera, sera.

So far, our accounts are still open (when it's open ); I take it one day at a time. Thank you amazon.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I have not found any information posted that answers my current query.

Is it possible to use Citi's virtual account numbers on Amazon Payments? If I can do this it means I can hit minimum spend on the Executive all the easier.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:17 am

Quick question please. I searched Google and FT with no luck. How long does it usually take for the small deposits to post so you can verify your checking account with AP?

I am now on 6 days from when I put my Bluebird routing and account number into AP to verify.

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:18 am

6 business days? If it doesnt post within 7 business days, theres a chance you typoed.

Took me one business day.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by VizeL
6 business days? If it doesnt post within 7 business days, theres a chance you typoed.

Took me one business day.
Thanks for the help! Today is the 5th business day. I will take your advice and delete and retry after 7 biz days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.