Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by sciconf
I added a Bank last night.
This morning I only received one deposit. Is this normal?
When I tried to verify, AP expects two deposits.

What should I do?
Wait. That happened to me. I fire off a complaint at the bank, went back to Amazon and deleted the attempt and started again. Went back to the bank later than day and there was the second deposit.

I would wait.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by SeeksApproval
Wait. That happened to me. I fire off a complaint at the bank, went back to Amazon and deleted the attempt and started again. Went back to the bank later than day and there was the second deposit.

I would wait.
So I wait - no prob

How long it took you to get the second deposit from the time of the first depo?

I also emailed AP.

Are u recommending me to contact the Bank too?

Last edited by sciconf; Mar 21, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:44 pm

So I wait - no prob

How long it took you to get the second deposit from the time of the first depo?

I also emailed AP.

Are u recommending me to contact the Bank too?
Sorry to get back so late. It was just a matter of maybe two hours before the second deposit dropped. Should have mentioned that in the first post.

If it hasn't posted by now, I would double check the account and routing numbers and try again. If you haven't done that already.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:17 pm

Can I add more than one CC to AP?
Is it wise?
If I do, will I ablle to choose the CC that I want money taken out from?

No problems as I have 4 CC linked to my acct at one time. Think the trick is not to keep changing the cards all the time as wiki suggest it could lead to possible future shutdown.
How I do it is have 4 cards linked and maybe every 2 months delete a card and add another and not all the cards at once as this could look suspicious.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The Bezos tribe of headhunters are very fickle in who they go after. At times it seems like they select their victims by throwing poison darts on a dart board. There are just no hard and fast rules in the jungle.

I suspect they could be like the IRS which have computer programs to flag suspicious activities and computer spits out a name or acct. but reality is they don't have the manpower to look at ALL reports so perhaps pick a few with the highest score generated by the computer for possible violations and just like the IRS they are required to randomly pick out any accts to check for violations. Of course I'm just giving my best guess here.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:19 am

As a data point, I could not (on the receiving end) claim the money sent. I tried everything and it would not let me claim the money (there is a "Claim" button to click on). I had one credit card and one checking account linked to the account. Oddly, once I added a second credit card, voila! I claimed the money, and withdrew it to the linked bank account.

Last edited by SeeksApproval; Mar 25, 2014 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Several dozen
Well, if they operate like the IRS then they have a political hit list that directs their effort. Maybe the Bezos tribe scours NSA records to go after those who shop at brick and mortar stores instead of online? Heck, as with Google and Microsoft aren't they already generating NSA records?

Maybe those auditees were right when they suspected us auditors of going on witch hunts to persecute people for political reasons. Certainly I can attest that I have professionally seen the hand of management more than one time directing what should or should not be audited by an internal auditor using random samples. Why should Amazon be any different?

Of course I'm just giving my best guess here, too.

Originally Posted by tomcanada22
I suspect they could be like the IRS which have computer programs to flag suspicious activities and computer spits out a name or acct. but reality is they don't have the manpower to look at ALL reports so perhaps pick a few with the highest score generated by the computer for possible violations and just like the IRS they are required to randomly pick out any accts to check for violations. Of course I'm just giving my best guess here.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Well, if they operate like the IRS then they have a political hit list that directs their effort. Maybe the Bezos tribe scours NSA records to go after those who shop at brick and mortar stores instead of online? Heck, as with Google and Microsoft aren't they already generating NSA records?

Maybe those auditees were right when they suspected us auditors of going on witch hunts to persecute people for political reasons. Certainly I can attest that I have professionally seen the hand of management more than one time directing what should or should not be audited by an internal auditor using random samples. Why should Amazon be any different?

Of course I'm just giving my best guess here, too.
No need to use NSA as Amazon ready to use drones. So guessing drone strikes against violators in the near future as this will ensure a ban becomes permanent
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:12 am

No need to use NSA as Amazon ready to use drones. So guessing drone strikes against violators in the near future as this will ensure a ban becomes permanent
That's actually a little alarming haha
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by SeeksApproval
Sorry to get back so late. It was just a matter of maybe two hours before the second deposit dropped. Should have mentioned that in the first post.

If it hasn't posted by now, I would double check the account and routing numbers and try again. If you haven't done that already.
How long does it take to transfer from AP to a Bank?

Update:
Friday am first test depo arrived.
Monday am second test depo arrived
Now I am testing moving to the Bank (B -> C)
As this the end of the month, I am on a hurry to get the $1k moved.

Last edited by sciconf; Mar 24, 2014 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:21 pm

How long does it take to transfer from AP to a Bank?

Update:
Friday am first test depo arrived.
Monday am second test depo arrived
Now I am testing moving to the Bank (B -> C)
As this the end of the month, I am on a hurry to get the $1k moved.

When I did this opening my Amz acct, the whole process took about 2 days total and then it was ready to go. You still have a full week before end of month so if everything clears then you should have plenty of time.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:41 am

When I did this opening my Amz acct, the whole process took about 2 days total and then it was ready to go. You still have a full week before end of month so if everything clears then you should have plenty of time.
Thanks it worked.

Can I also withdraw from a debit card using AP?
I know Serve blacklisted my account for doing it later on.

Secondly, AP is pretty easy for meeting CC spending limits - what other methods are still available?

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks it worked.

Can I also withdraw from a debit card using AP?
I know Serve blacklisted my account for doing it later on.

Secondly, AP is pretty easy for meeting CC spending limits - what other methods are still available?

Thanks
Yes you can use a debit on AP. The payment system is much like regular Amazon except I believe that the card must match your name and you can't use an Amazon GC.

You can still do Amex GCs for min spend if your bank doesn't mark it as a CA.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Yes you can use a debit on AP. The payment system is much like regular Amazon except I believe that the card must match your name and you can't use an Amazon GC.
So can I use my debit cards from rebates on AP and withdraw the money? This would be helpful since my last experience with Staples Visa debt card was hell. The store let me swipe it - card had $42. Register was about $52. It was declined. So we tried again after entering $42 no luck. Now Visa and Staples tells me wait for 31 days because they took the $42 out for 31 days. Trust me. I went to the Staples President's office but no luck.

I also get AMEX debit card on rebates - but they will send a check or put the money in to Bank but will take 3 weeks. If I add all these on AP, will it cause issue? How many max cards on AP? How often can I change?

Originally Posted by cdancer20
You can still do Amex GCs for min spend if your bank doesn't mark it as a CA.
How much bank and other fees? Will AMEX charge a monthly fee?
Then use AMEX GC for daily purchases or Costco? Is it a AMEX debit card?

Last edited by sciconf; Mar 25, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So can I use my debit cards from rebates on AP and withdraw the money? This would be helpful since my last experience with Staples Visa debt card was hell. The store let me swipe it - card had $42. Register was about $52. It was declined. So we tried again after entering $42 no luck. Now Visa and Staples tells me wait for 31 days because they took the $42 out for 31 days. Trust me. I went to the Staples President's office but no luck.

I also get AMEX debit card on rebates - but they will send a check or put the money in to Bank but will take 3 weeks. If I add all these on AP, will it cause issue? How many max cards on AP? How often can I change? ?
Hmmm, this use to be in the wiki. I wonder why someone deleted it. I'm still new to AP but from what I have read from others, it's not advised to constantly add & delete debit cards. I'm not sure of how many is too many so someone else can answer. However, you can definitely do it. Tips to add it to your acct are still in the wiki.

How much bank and other fees? Will AMEX charge a monthly fee?
Then use AMEX GC for daily purchases or Costco? Is it a AMEX debit card?
See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...rumbs-2-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.