Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: Several dozen
Set your AUs to match your APs then enter virtual reality.

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I have seen discussion of using Virtual numbers. Is there no concern due to the name on the CC not being the same as on the AP account? And no concern with the name on the CC being the same as some other AP account?

I have been reluctant to use CC in someone else's name on an AP account. So I am not sure how a Virtual number would help. Or are you able to create a different name with a Virtual # as well? Citi's virtual system appears to be down right now so I can't give it a try.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:52 pm

I just tried to set up my first Amazon payments transfer and it gave me an error that you can only send $500 a month. Everywhere I read it says $1,000.

Has this recently changed?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by jets47
I just tried to set up my first Amazon payments transfer and it gave me an error that you can only send $500 a month. Everywhere I read it says $1,000.

Has this recently changed?
No
Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments-48.html#post20494166
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:04 pm

Hi lad...I appreciate your response, however, I'm unsure what in the link I should specifically be looking at in relation to my question. Also, how can I go about circumventing this $500 minimum that I'm seeing on my account.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Hi lad...I appreciate your response, however, I'm unsure what in the link I should specifically be looking at in relation to my question. Also, how can I go about circumventing this $500 minimum that I'm seeing on my account.

Thanks!
That post (in this same thread) has the same question as yours. See the answer on the post immediately below it.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:16 pm

My apologies as I'm still very new to Amazon Payments, so please forgive me but I read up and down the entire page that you linked to and don't see that specific question you addressed. Can you let me know which post number you're referring to?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:22 pm

My apologies as I'm still very new to Amazon Payments, so please forgive me but I read up and down the entire page that you linked to and don't see that specific question you addressed. Can you let me know which post number you're referring to?
Nah, my bad. I just realized the link I used only works correctly (jump to the right post) if you set your view preference to show 40 posts per page. Anyhow, quick answer to your question is that you need to add a CC and a verified bank account in order for the limit to jump up to 1k/mo. Ref link here https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdu...ceiving-Limits

Post # is 1895 and 1896.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:25 pm

Awesome...greatly appreciate the clarification!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Set your AUs to match your APs then enter virtual reality.
Ah, so you are saying I need to add AU's. Prefer not to do that where possible. Being an AU does affect your ability to get credit. I had my kids as AU on a bunch of cards, and when they go to apply for credit they get kicked out of auto approval. When calling they are often asked, why do you have all of these other accounts, to which they reply they are AU's. Even when I cancelled them as AU, then they get the question. "Why do you have all of these closed accounts?". To which they respond they are AU's etc. It may or may not affect their score, but it certainly raises flags.

I try to only add AU on Business accounts, which then have a different number anyway and don't need virtual.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:09 pm

^ my kid has been AU for last 3 years or so on multiple cards of mine with high CLs. He is now 19, college student and has successfully been approved for 6 CCs from major banks including Chase Freedon, AMEX BCE...all auto approved. Being an AU made all the difference IMO
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:57 pm

Repymt of loan via amazon pymts

I am hoping to utilize amazon pymts to make a monthly 1K repayment of a down pymt loan from my in-laws. Will this transaction cause me any issues w/ amazon? Input is appreciated. Thanks. -jeff
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WBALLZ
I am hoping to utilize amazon pymts to make a monthly 1K repayment of a down pymt loan from my in-laws. Will this transaction cause me any issues w/ amazon? Input is appreciated. Thanks. -jeff
No more than the rest of us.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:12 am

is it possible to load a gift card (like possibly the HIGC) to AP?

just trying to figure out a decent backup plan in the event the HIGC thing blows up.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Szamboti
is it possible to load a gift card (like possibly the HIGC) to AP?

just trying to figure out a decent backup plan in the event the HIGC thing blows up.
I say no. It's not compatible with AP (HI), but you can prove me wrong by actually trying it out.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:23 am

patience is the key

Last edited by aeneas3; Aug 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.