Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by punjabi2
I did read the thread, only then I started this thing. I know couple of things to watch for, but was not sure what I need to watch when I am transferring to my wifes bank account.

if your account gets flagged for review you will know it.
You will receive a warning that says the transaction could not be completed.......

You will likely receive an email as well. In any case, there is NO warning in advance until you push the money through and it gets caught up on the other side.

If it gets caught up on the first side and the transfer is not allowed, then the money went no where (this is usually not the case).

You need to know the limits and not go over, that's for certain.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by awardticket
Yes that is what triggered it. I do not care about the account at this point, I am just worried silly about the money, although member7777 said that they will give it back to me. For know I emailed them asking if they can allow me access to my money which is in the closed account. Now just anxiously checking my email, awaiting a response.
Based on other ppl's experience in the end did they get the money back? I do not need the money now to pay the cc bill but I am just nervous about losing the money.
What happened is I sent money to a friend who made 2 accounts, and after the payment to him posted Amazon sent him an email that his account if frozen. The account still shows the balance I sent but it is not allowing me to get it out. Only that account froze but my money is in it!!! I am going crazy!

Once that account if frozen the system doesn't allow you to withdraw money or do anything for that matter. Wondering what to do now....
You might consider an alternate hobby. Playing any of the games in this part of FT run the risk of your cash getting locked up for a period of time. Rare is it that people lose money (though not never), the situation you find yourself in is far from unique and invariably will happen again if you keep playing this game.

If you are truly "worried silly" and "going crazy," perhaps consider gardening or something similar with less risk.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
As carefully as you read the Vanilla thread???
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I understand the concern, but between a dozen different issuers and over 100 different accounts, split between different User ID's and passwords even with the same issuer, logging in yourself just isn't that practical on any scale.

And in the couple of instances where I have been the victim of credit card fraud, it was the fact that I check Mint.com on a daily basis and see every single transaction very quickly, means it was caught much earlier than it would by the odd login to separate accounts. Accounts were closed before transaction even went from pending to posted (which for most websites would not even be seen on a cursory glance)
I sync my desktop Quicken program to all my deposit, investment and credit accounts on a daily basis. I understand the passwords are stored locally in a password protected "vault." I'm sure that vault is hackable, but that's a risk I accept.

I keep a master spreadsheet of logins (also password protected...helpful, but not 100% I'm sure) and it is well over 250 line items. So many different rules ... Some require three of four of upper, lower, number and symbol; others don't allow symbol, some aren't case sensitive, some are 8 characters minimum, some are 8 characters maximum. Argh.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
There is for sure some risk that things could go wrong, but I equate it to the risk that iPhones not switched "fully off" will cause a plane to crash. There is a theoretical remote possibility of the feared event occurring, but in practice every day millions of us go day after day without any incident.
Planes are falling out of the sky every day because of this, mate...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
jdl

From reading the thread I know everyone says a quick A --> B --> A cycling is not recommended. Can you add a reasonable pause and then reverse? For example, A to B for 2 months, no transactions for 2 months, then B to A for two months? Or does A --> B then preclude B --> A no matter the length of time?

I (A) no longer need AP for min spend while B now needs AP. We have no C. Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by jdl
From reading the thread I know everyone says a quick A --> B --> A cycling is not recommended. Can you add a reasonable pause and then reverse? For example, A to B for 2 months, no transactions for 2 months, then B to A for two months? Or does A --> B then preclude B --> A no matter the length of time?

I (A) no longer need AP for min spend while B now needs AP. We have no C. Thanks.
I cycle A --> B then pay A's bill. A is my authorized user. Not sure how intelligent that particular strategy is, but it's worked for the last few months.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I cycle A --> B then pay A's bill. A is my authorized user. Not sure how intelligent that particular strategy is, but it's worked for the last few months.
I have tried sending back and forth between three accounts and so far so good. e.g. A --> B --> C --> A --> C --> B...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:21 pm

Well, I did read it, but as I mentioned in that thread, in my excitement of seeing a bunch of vanila cards, I messed up. No worries, mistakes happen and one learns from them and moves on.

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
As carefully as you read the Vanilla thread???
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:24 pm

Thanks shoreline!! I sent $1000 to my wife's account, split it into 3 weekly transactions, and then one week later, transferred the money. So far good. Will try again next month.

Thanks once again.

Originally Posted by shoreline
if your account gets flagged for review you will know it.
You will receive a warning that says the transaction could not be completed.......

You will likely receive an email as well. In any case, there is NO warning in advance until you push the money through and it gets caught up on the other side.

If it gets caught up on the first side and the transfer is not allowed, then the money went no where (this is usually not the case).

You need to know the limits and not go over, that's for certain.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:36 pm

Is there any chance of raising any flags for using the following in completing my spend requirements:
-Sign me and fiancee up for AP
-Add fiance as the authorized user on one of my cards (card B).
-Send $1000 throughout the month with card A from my account to her amazon account.
-Send $1000 throughout the month with card B from her amazon account to mine.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by mastermind85
Is there any chance of raising any flags for using the following in completing my spend requirements:
-Sign me and fiancee up for AP
-Add fiance as the authorized user on one of my cards (card B).
-Send $1000 throughout the month with card A from my account to her amazon account.
-Send $1000 throughout the month with card B from her amazon account to mine.
I'd be interested in finding out too. How about you read the thread and then come back and let me know?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:48 pm

I don't suppose that there is any chance that your fiancee owns a credit card that doesn't have your name on the account?

Just wondering......
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I don't suppose that there is any chance that your fiancee owns a credit card that doesn't have your name on the account?

Just wondering......
Originally Posted by User Name
I'd be interested in finding out too. How about you read the thread and then come back and let me know?
I have read through it, but at 1800 posts its getting hard to keep up. The issue I have is that my fiancee does not have any credit cards (immigrating). I wondered if using this method with two AP accounts for two separate people but using both cards under my name (one authorized for my fiancee) will raise flags.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Got "fanged" :(

Multiple accounts opened to potentially enhance this limit will be closed. Tran showed pending for almost 6 hours and then the dreaded email... Account closed! Oh well... Was good while it lasted...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Multiple accounts opened to potentially enhance this limit will be closed. Tran showed pending for almost 6 hours and then the dreaded email... Account closed! Oh well... Was good while it lasted...
For future reference. If you are going to post about getting shut down, detail the method used. Posting that you got shut down for multiple accounts does very little to further the discussion or help other members.

The "safe" number has always been three accounts with unique email addresses and unique bank accounts. At one point in time in the very beginning there was an email sent out stating that there could only be three accounts per household. YES, there may be people doing more than this... I don't work for Amazon so I have no idea what they do to flag accounts or if signing up for three accounts in one day will raise red flags. This is anecdotal evidence from someone who has worked this deal from day one.

Splitting up payments, changing credit cards, etc... has done nothing but add time. There is no evidence that it helps prevent you getting flagged. I use the same credit card and max out all three account (that all have the same SS#) each month. Playing it "safe" would be to stick in line with that, anything beyond that... or people trying to get back in the game after being frozen out is YMMV.

Hope this helps anyone out there thinking about doing this or is currently doing it. Don't over complicate things, don't get your brother's dog involved, I spend 5 minutes the 1st of each month on AZ payments, wait a few days.. pay off my credit card. Easy as that.

Feel free to PM me any questions if you have any "basic" questions. I will not be able to tell you how to go beyond 3 accounts. I only know from my own experience. I want to help other members so that they do not make mistakes making this more complicated than it should be. I also am a strong believer that you should not pull anyone into this deal as it is not necessary from my experience. I've also had no experience having my account frozen or "fanged" so I can't help you there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.