Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Using Credit Card to Buy Money Order - Would This Work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Credit Card to Buy Money Order - Would This Work

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
AAA Visa TravelMoney Card?

Not quite a money, order - seems like it might work though the fees are a bit steep, unless you really need to hit a spending threshold. But FWIW:

http://discover.aaa.com/Travel/VisaTravelMoneyCard

There is a $14.95 initial purchase fee. It can be funded with a credit card. The TravelMoney card can be used for ATM withdrawal up to $1,000/day with a $1.50 fee.

Terms and conditions: https://www.aaa.myprepaidbalance.com...andCTravel.pdf

There is a note regarding cash advance fees on your credit card if used to fund the Travelmoney card: "Your credit card should not charge you a Cash Advance fee" (italics mine) Well, "should not" isn't the same as "will not"...and I'm not sure they could guarantee it won't go through as CA, anywa - doesn't your credit card issuer determine how they treat a given transaction, regardless of how the seller thinks it will be treated?

The T&Cs mention a fee of "up to $30" when funding with a credit card online or via telephone (note that if I'm reading it correctly, the online/phone option is only open to AAA members). I logged in and initiated a dummy order and it listed the following fees for funding online w/ CC:

"When you fund your account and pay travel card fees by credit or debit card there will be a Quick Deposit fee based on the following schedule.

$100-$500 = $10 fee
$501-$1,000 = $20 fee
$1,001-$1,500 = $30 fee"

In the T&Cs it states you will not be charged a fee if reloading at a participating AAA branch. However it's not clear if most AAA branches even accepts credit cards as a funding source or if you'd need to go online for that option.

I did find an older post about this, from 2005. Looks like at the time AAA was noting in the T&Cs that funding the card with a CC may cause it to go through as a CA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ancel-now.html
Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:46 pm

American Express Gift Cards

I would like to have you guys opinions on this:
$3,000 gift card, fee $3.95 plus $6 shipping. Is it worth it?

Modillc

https://www232.americanexpress.com/B....PoZlsMQDtzx4Q
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:28 pm

?

Originally Posted by modillc

I would like to have you guys opinions on this:
$3,000 gift card, fee $3.95 plus $6 shipping. Is it worth it?

Modillc

https://www232.americanexpress.com/B....PoZlsMQDtzx4Q
I don't believe we can buy money orders with amex gift cards. How is this relevant?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:38 pm

You can always find promo codes to waive either the fee or shipping by google.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
About the Discover Teen card (Current card from Discover):

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Also, after reading through the FatWallet topic, it seems that you need to "slow roll" this one or they'll very quickly shut your account down (as you said happened to yours). So, I'm not sure how "worth it" it will be, but I'll give it a try for a while.
Yes, that's correct. A very wise man once said: Pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered.

If you try to push large amounts through on this card, you are a hog, and you'll get flagged. Small amounts may fly under the radar.

However, funding the Current card is getting more difficult. If you try to use a Citi card for funding, Citi will hit you with a fee for each transaction. And if you try using a Chase card, Chase may very well put a hold on your card (and you may find yourself calling fairly often to have holds removed).

The Current card has a $5 fee per month. I had one for about 8 months, but it got to be too much hassle, so I've canceled it.

I'd prefer to look for greener pastures.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
About the Discover Teen card (Current card from Discover):

Yes, that's correct. A very wise man once said: Pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered.

If you try to push large amounts through on this card, you are a hog, and you'll get flagged. Small amounts may fly under the radar.

However, funding the Current card is getting more difficult. If you try to use a Citi card for funding, Citi will hit you with a fee for each transaction. And if you try using a Chase card, Chase may very well put a hold on your card (and you may find yourself calling fairly often to have holds removed).

The Current card has a $5 fee per month. I had one for about 8 months, but it got to be too much hassle, so I've canceled it.

I'd prefer to look for greener pastures.
The teen discover card deal is dead to new cardmembers. Still working for existing members but as you stated can be a pain.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:34 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by dweick
And if anyone actually mentioned such a card here the result would be its quick demise by a horde of people abusing it. I'd strongly encourage people to NOT share such information, I've seen too many nice little deals that had been around for years get trampled out of existence within days of being mentioned here.
+1111
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS+UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Using Square (https://squareup.com/pricing) you can charge (process) your own points/miles credit card (funds are deposited to your bank) for 27.50$ per 1000$ spend.

As an example: Delta Amex Card = 5000$ "transaction" swiped through Square, total cost = 27.50*5 = 137.50 = 0.0275/mile

Might be worth it for high-yield cards
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
I could not agree more. Many warned what would happen if you posted banks and CU’s that allowed funding with a CC. Some would not heed the warning and we see what happened. Post a debit card that works and it is the “KISS OF DEATH”.
Completely agree!

However, here is some math that shares nothing we dunno cept the steps many ought to take:

A/V/M==>GC==>UMLv+(L/T)==>D+PIN==>MO==$

UMLv is the golden goose and I aint sayin cuz I honestly aint found it in the form I liked best since it last left us in 2005, but it's still out there in...other forms I aint sayin but aint holding out on so please don't PM me seriously.

(L/T) is luck & timing, and with any anything, that's always a part of our miles 'n points game no matter what anyone says. This game and its currencies, as I have said many a time, is a lot like the rum running days of the roaring 1920s and we are among the battling the mobs of that day.

I have tried every method mentioned here and then some. Fact currently is:

Any vehicle that can be paid for with a credit card, cannot be cashed out to cash, and any vehicle that can be cashed out to cash like a debit card with a 4 digit pin, which IS often necessary to buy something like a MO but not always, cannot have been bought with a CC. That is... currently, so far, as far as I can tell, hopefully never posted openly here, etc. Coins was great but so easy it wasn't great. Naimean? But screw that, it was great.

MM
Old May 6, 2015, 12:46 am

Are there any types of visa/MC.AMEX debit gift cards you can purchase at a office supply store and then use at the post office to purchase money orders? Please advise. I have several different ones that aren't working for me.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Aaron Biner
Are there any types of visa/MC.AMEX debit gift cards you can purchase at a office supply store and then use at the post office to purchase money orders? Please advise. I have several different ones that aren't working for me.
Prepaid GCs are NOT accepted as tender for MOs at the USPS. Try a bank DC and see if that works.

GCs you can buy at OSS that you can possibly use to pay for MOs at grocery stores (you have to find one that sells them in your area) are the FIXED VALUE (max $200 VGC) which they will accept CC but if you buy the variable ones up to $500, these are hardcoded for CASH only.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aaron Biner
I'd keep trying, they work for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.