Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:13 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by askias
I was wondering what pickles was talking about. Now I know. The question is which store are they doing it at?
lol, are you serious? Can you read the topic?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by xp0
lol, are you serious? Can you read the topic?
Its the store on Maui, you have to make a mileage run.

Maybe everyone should just consider this deal to be dead???

Last edited by mrpickles; Mar 15, 2011 at 3:16 am
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Its the store on Maui, you have to make a mileage run.
That would be worthwhile in just so many ways.

You should also get the Wolfgang Puck gift cards from Costco.com and then have a great meal at Spago at the Four Seasons.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
Do you even believe half the things you say?

Welcome to the party even if you are 5 years late!
If your partner in crime hadn't bragged about returning $300k+ a year this topic would not have been brought up again. There are items on the website well over $100k for sale. I personally do not return products to stores for miles.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by koctail
A very small % of society is always going to try and get one over. If they can more power to them,
Wow, what a sad statement. I sure hope you are in the minority with this opinion. For your sake I hope Karma is a myth. I mean if you left your door unlocked then I should help myself right? That is if I could get away with it. Or you drop your wallet, I shouldn't tell you just keep it right?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

If your partner in crime hadn't bragged about returning $300k+ a year this topic would not have been brought up again. There are items on the website well over $100k for sale. I personally do not return products to stores for miles.
Touche
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:06 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Let's just say the store told me they were ok with it.

Nice first post DD.

I have been at this party for probably longer than you have been alive.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:27 pm

I have been at this party for probably longer than you have been alive.
...and it just gets deeper and deeper! ROFLMAO
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:45 pm

How about apply your tactics to a cool diamond at merely $1,000,000? Saving you a couple of trips to Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...s=3&lang=en-US
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I love Costco

When we lived in the US, we bought just about everything we could at Costco, in part because of their return policy. And we enthusiastically recommended them to friends and family. They took back a 14 month old VCR that broke (I went into the store to ask about how to ship it to the manufacturer for repair and they said "just bring it back and we'll take care of it"). They gave me a new tire when I got a flat they couldn't fix (it did cost a few dollars for wear and tear and some state fee). They took back an extra deli platter my wife bought for a party (and promptly threw it in the trash--issues with spoilage, I guess, but there were no issues with the refund).

I don't abuse the policy but now that I live in Europe, I wish there was a Costco here. (We still pay for Costco annual membership for the two or three trips a year I make to the US.) Most stores give you seven days to return something and even then it's a hassle. if an item is defective, it's a fight to return it for a replacement, let alone store credit or cash (they want you to go through the authorized repair center which can take weeks and you pay the shipping). Buying in bulk just means paying double or triple the price for two or three times the quantity. And customer satisfaction is a totally unknown concept. Man, I wish there was a Costco here....
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
When we lived in the US, we bought just about everything we could at Costco, in part because of their return policy. And we enthusiastically recommended them to friends and family. They took back a 14 month old VCR that broke (I went into the store to ask about how to ship it to the manufacturer for repair and they said "just bring it back and we'll take care of it"). They gave me a new tire when I got a flat they couldn't fix (it did cost a few dollars for wear and tear and some state fee). They took back an extra deli platter my wife bought for a party (and promptly threw it in the trash--issues with spoilage, I guess, but there were no issues with the refund).

I don't abuse the policy but now that I live in Europe, I wish there was a Costco here. (We still pay for Costco annual membership for the two or three trips a year I make to the US.) Most stores give you seven days to return something and even then it's a hassle. if an item is defective, it's a fight to return it for a replacement, let alone store credit or cash (they want you to go through the authorized repair center which can take weeks and you pay the shipping). Buying in bulk just means paying double or triple the price for two or three times the quantity. And customer satisfaction is a totally unknown concept. Man, I wish there was a Costco here....

If Costco wants to have an overly generous return policy for defective merchandise, then so be it.

But returning perishable food that was bought by mistake? You say it was an "extra deli platter", which sounds as if she bought more than she needed, as opposed to something being wrong with it at time of purchase. Regardless if Costco is willing to take it back or not is irrelevant, there was never a chance they could or would resell such an item.

To me, this is an easy call. Accept the mistake of buying more food than you needed and then drop off the extra at a shelter where it can actually go to good use. Or maybe an area of town where you've seen the homeless living on the street. Worst case, offer the food to one of your guests who would like it. Any scenario, really, that doesn't involve the food ending up in the trash for no good reason.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Burton
If Costco wants to have an overly generous return policy for defective merchandise, then so be it.

But returning perishable food that was bought by mistake? You say it was an "extra deli platter", which sounds as if she bought more than she needed, as opposed to something being wrong with it at time of purchase. Regardless if Costco is willing to take it back or not is irrelevant, there was never a chance they could or would resell such an item.

To me, this is an easy call. Accept the mistake of buying more food than you needed and then drop off the extra at a shelter where it can actually go to good use. Or maybe an area of town where you've seen the homeless living on the street. Worst case, offer the food to one of your guests who would like it. Any scenario, really, that doesn't involve the food ending up in the trash for no good reason.
Oh please! Homeless people are not having parties and don't need party platters. Why don't you take some of your hotel points and give them a room for the night.

Last Thanksgiving I bought $500 in Costco gift cards and gave them to a charity to buy provisions for their annual Thanksgiving dinner for the underprivilaged.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:42 pm

I was at Sam's Club one time and this woman brought in a huge package of steaks she said they brought to a picnic and didn't use them, so left them in the car and they spoiled. Sam's refunded her money. Incredible.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:43 pm

Last Thanksgiving I bought $500 in Costco gift cards and gave them to a charity to buy provisions for their annual Thanksgiving dinner for the underprivilaged.
Did you then take them back and return them to Costco?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.