Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:38 pm

And Costco does track return activity. They're free to cancel your membership if you are costing them a ton of money.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I don't think you can ever get booted from Costco.. all they have to do at the til when you return is decide how to refund you.. after that, its' their problem.
"Can" is a different word from "will" here. Since it's a membership warehouse, Costco "can" do whatever they want, including cut you off. It just so happens they're quite generous about things.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
They used to allow computers to returned up to 1 year after purchase. I'm sure that given the price reductions, that they probably lost a lot on this return policy.

I had a relative who had a problem with an E-machine computer. The disk drive was messed up, and they gave a full refund 364 days after purchase.
Personally, I'd be OK with that because it was a legitimate failure.

There were people out there that actually thought this generous return policy on electronics was actually a formal upgrade policy! Hence, why they started to clamp down on it to begin with. A bunch of jerks ruining it for the rest of us.

Galanti said some Costco members would buy big-screen TVs and then return them months later, when newer, and less expensive models went on sale. He said the practice had become so prevalent one member recently wrote the company saying she was disappointed because she had heard Costco was going to stop its "free TV upgrade policy."

Galanti said Costco never had such a policy.
http://www.seattlepi.com/business/305240_costco27.html
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:05 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Didn't have time to read all the replies, but here's my experience.

Purchased 8 $900 cash cards using master card from Costco.com, took them to local store and asked for them to be cashed. They complied, giving me well over $5k in cash.

Did it again with my visa, this time around 12k, went onto a different Costco to cash them and was given a check (on the spot, no Checks in the mail bs or anything of the sort.)

Was warned the third time, at another Costco, that they don't like doing this and the general mgr was wondering if it was a one time thing.

I really like the diamond idea.

Also, Costco cash cards are cash. They don't have other cards. When returning, they will credit to your card, provide cash, cheque, or cash card.

If purchased with Amex, they will insist on crediting back to Amex, except cash cards (ie if u purchase cash cards on website with Amex, u canstill cash them At any store.)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by joesmoe

Purchased 8 $900 cash cards using master card from Costco.com, took them to local store and asked for them to be cashed. They complied, giving me well over $5k in cash.

Did it again with my visa, this time around 12k, went onto a different Costco to cash them and was given a check (on the spot, no Checks in the mail bs or anything of the sort.)

Was warned the third time, at another Costco, that they don't like doing this and the general mgr was wondering if it was a one time thing.

I really like the diamond idea.

Also, Costco cash cards are cash. They don't have other cards. When returning, they will credit to your card, provide cash, cheque, or cash card.

If purchased with Amex, they will insist on crediting back to Amex, except cash cards (ie if u purchase cash cards on website with Amex, u canstill cash them At any store.)
are you serious LOL......... ill try this out in Sunny Socal
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:57 am

There was another ft thread about cash cards about 4 months ago that I took the idea from.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
i would think they would give u $500 no problem in cash...... the average person's costco trip purchase is averaging $250....... $500 is chump change for costco. They are raking it in
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:31 am

Ease note, after careful review of the costo return policy, if the diamond is over1 carrot, they may require 2 to 5 days to verify the refund.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Ease note, after careful review of the costo return policy, if the diamond is over1 carrot, they may require 2 to 5 days to verify the refund.
Eh? What's up doc? Trix are for kids. Carrots are for wascally wabbits.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:46 am

I suppose you activated these cards before they cashed out at costco or did you just give them the receipts and the unactivated cards?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
deleted

Last edited by psyflyer; Jul 14, 2010 at 5:39 pm
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
question

deleted

Last edited by coolguy100; Jul 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm Reason: try to pm him
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
I agree, it crosses the line.
Did you change your mind about it crossing the ethical line? Or, did you just decide to cross it?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by swisshat
Did you change your mind about it crossing the ethical line? Or, did you just decide to cross it?
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Let's just say the store told me they were ok with it.

Nice first post DD.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Let's just say the store told me they were ok with it.

Nice first post DD.
Do you even believe half the things you say?

Welcome to the party even if you are 5 years late!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
I was wondering what pickles was talking about. Now I know. The question is which store are they doing it at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.