Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by exilencfc
I assume that you'd want to land the aircraft as soon as possible before anything else could break.
What if you don't have sufficient control of the aircraft?
Mind you surely they'd have realised fairly quickly that they were out over the Indian Ocean and turned back towards land?
Indeed, a watch and sunrise would be enough to work that one out
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by amirat34
The highjacking for terror purposes or hide it somewhere in Central Asia seems to be not very plausible to me. Wouldn't it be easier to do it with the flight on the right route, going towards Europe?
There was something about this specific plane.
Maybe because the guys they recruited lived in Malaysia, or flights over that region will be security jittery anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:16 am

Based on everything I have read so far, my only explanation is that a third party had some cargo to move or an agenda to carry out. They choose an airport and more importantly, an expert pilot and a big plane. The pilot is coerced into planning the mission - or else. (Threats to his family, etc.)

This is the only way I can square having a well-respected pilot for a major airline deciding to do anything intentionally out of the norm.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Fraport
A few good questions have been raised in the last 2-3 pages about non-terrorist causes regarding power failures etc.

Related to that, this popped up on CNN and i was curious if anyone here had read it or had any comments as to the plausibilities

"Pilot: Was that Boeing 777 diverted deliberately? Not necessarily"
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/16/op...html?hpt=hp_t2
That's a great article - a must-read. In particular:

Heading changes are also what I would expect to see in an autopilot-off situation. The 777's fly-by-wire roll control law controls the tilt of the wings. The airplane would be subject to atmospheric disturbances that could act to tip a wing up every now and then, but built-in protections prevent the plane from exceeding bank angles in excess of 35°. While a conventional airplane would tend to spiral down in that situation, the 777 incorporates automatic pitch compensation, so the airplane could easily hold its altitude in these turns.

The fly-by-wire control system on the 777 makes it a very stable airplane, capable of flying for hours with the autopilot off without crashing.

If the flight path can be shown to be very straight lines with neat turns followed by another straight line, then I would throw out the "autopilot-off" theory, but it seems as though officials can't even determine where the plane was heading, much less the nature and cause of some heading changes.
Bottom line: don't throw out the catastrophic event theory yet. The pilots could have been incapacitated and the events as we understand them are consistent with that. (That doesn't mean that intentional misdirection of the plane is inconsistent with them, but neither can be ruled out.)

Last edited by snic; Mar 17, 2014 at 11:21 am Reason: add last paragraph
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Well, given how many countries' radar or other sensors have either failed to see it, or seen it where it wasn't, it's already been an embarrassment to at least Malaysia, Vietnam and China - the more, the merrier!
I disagree, the radars are looking for hostile aircraft coming from specific target countries,. A plane flying in a commercial corridor at a "normal" speed and height shouldn't normally trigger alarms and I don't think it's embarrassing that this one didn't. There is a question of whether primary and secondary radar should be integrated so a military radar operator can see flights in commercial corridors without transponders, but that isn't what the systems were designed for.

Were fewer cabin crew rostered than would have been required if more passengers were on board?
I thought crewing was based on number of seats, not seats sold. Also if it was coming back from China with a normal passenger load you'd want a full compliment of crew.

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I often fly standby only as my mom was a FA with DL. Only the gate agent has the power to get my off the standby list, so I just have to get cleared at the gate, even if the plane is generally empty. On long routes there are usually between 10-15 (sometimes more) employee/retiree/family standby passengers.
But the Malaysian announcement was that 4 standby pax we're boarded after 4 ticketed pax didn't checkin. If they'd just boarded remaining standbys at the gate they wouldn't have phrased the announcement that way.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by snic
Bottom line: don't throw out the catastrophic event theory yet. The pilots could have been incapacitated and the events as we understand them are consistent with that. (That doesn't mean that intentional misdirection of the plane is inconsistent with them, but neither can be ruled out.)
Bottom Line - the more we know, the less we know.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by snowbunnytx
my only explanation is that a third party had some cargo to move or an agenda to carry out. They choose an airport and more importantly, an expert pilot and a big plane. The pilot is coerced into planning the mission - or else. (Threats to his family, etc.)
Or to Anwar Ibrahim, in prison?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Or to Anwar Ibrahim, in prison?
I'm not going to speculate as far as any details other than barring a catastrophic avionics failure, the pilot had to be involved if we are to believe any of the little data we have now. The pilot's life is his career and flying - not a criminal agenda.

The pilot flew the plane. Who flew the pilot? That is what I believe should be investigated.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by djp98374
My assumption would be this area was heavily searched where the countries close to the area freely gave assistance in search the water, land, and freely shared their radar data.
The centre part of the arc overlaps with another Inmarsat satellite's coverage. The ping was only received by the sat over the Indian Ocean, not the one in the Pacific as well. Ergo, that bit can't have been where the plane was.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by alanR
What if you don't have sufficient control of the aircraft?
Well that situation probably isn't going to be improved by any delay in attempting to land. A knackered aircraft is only going to get more knackered the longer it flies. Mind you I suppose a delay in landing might be desirable in order to establish how much control you have/attempt to get things working/allow an injured member of the flightcrew to recover.

Originally Posted by alex_b
I thought crewing was based on number of seats, not seats sold. Also if it was coming back from China with a normal passenger load you'd want a full compliment of crew.
I don't know about the first point but I can't argue with the second - beyond the fact that MH may have enough flights into PEK to allow some flexibility in who crews on which return flight.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
My suggestion - no cargo is valuable enough to explain this. Too many uncertainties with obtaining the plane/cargo even with a well-planned disappearance. If it was intentional, only people (some person on board) has this much value.

P.S. My version (right or wrong) assumes any cargo less than the Covenant of the Ark (See Raiders of the Lost Ark). I dont' care if it was $250 million in currency, gold or diamonds. The "cost" and "risk" of this particular incident, combined with the "notoriety" of trying to move the results, dictates against the cargo as a goal (in my non-expert opinion).

Last edited by sbrower; Mar 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reason: Added PS
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:43 am

Plane is resting at the bottom of the Indian Ocean.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sbrower
My suggestion - no cargo is valuable enough to explain this. Too many uncertainties with obtaining the plane/cargo even with a well-planned disappearance. If it was intentional, only people (some person on board) has this much value.
While not ruling out people, I disagree about the cargo. For instance there were articles a few years ago about routine shipments on flights from JFK that contained shipments from the NY Fed to the central bank of another country. They were in some cases upwards of 100 million in US bills. Gold or diamonds could get up to those numbers as well. Mangosteens, not so much.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
MH 370 to Taliban?

Intrigued by the idea put forth in today’s Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...d-9195320.html, see paragraph two) that the plane might have been flown to a Taliban-controlled area of Afghanistan or Pakistan, I asked Jere Van Dyk – author of In Afghanistan and Captive and CBS Radio correspondent on terrorism -- if there were any landing fields / landing strips in Taliban controlled territory that would measure 900+ meters (using the stats given on this board for landing a 777, not Boeing’s 5000 feet). Without researching, he wrote back his impressions:

“I would think that the U.S. has Afghanistan airspace covered. Could be wrong, but I don't know of any concrete airstrips in the Pashtun belt that the U.S./NATO have not taken over. They are at Shindad, south of Herat, built by Soviets, Kandahar, built by TWA, and Jalalabad, where OBL landed when he returned from Sudan and where the U.S. took his body. Could a pilot land this on a hard desert stretch? Maybe so, but as you put it, how do you hide it there? Other airstrips are in Tajik areas, in Herat and Bagram, under U.S. or Afghan control. “

“I thought more of Pakistan, with its multitude of bases, some built by the British, in Wana, Maran Shah, Quetta area and very, very possibly, others. But in this case, the ISI would have to know. Would it risk this with the West, and with China, its ally? Central Asia seemed plausible, and I even have been thinking of the Uighurs, but the Chinese I think would have a lock on things as regards to airstrips in East Turkistan/Sinjiang (sp?). If the pilots got to Iran, well, that is a whole other story. I want the people to have survived, but I just don't know. “

It doesn’t sound to me like this is much of a possibility, but there may be other opinions out there.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Plane is resting at the bottom of the Indian Ocean.
But how did it get there - apart from the obvious of dropping out of the sky either controlled or uncontrolled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.