Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH Short Checking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
MH Short Checking

Is it possible to short check bags on MH?

I have MH PER - xKUL - PEN flight and I want to dump the final leg (rather want to make it a stopover but it costs me RM400 to change this leg after ticket issue)
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Yes, you can request to check in your bags only till Kul.

You need to go to ticketing before your flight to inform them you will not be proceeding with your Kul-Penang sector.

When checking in with your bags, request your bags to be collected in klia.

Last edited by wolf72; Apr 27, 2017 at 7:26 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ermen

I have MH PER - xKUL - PEN flight and I want to dump the final leg (rather want to make it a stopover but it costs me RM400 to change this leg after ticket issue)
Depends on how long your connection is. If it's a couple of hours, you can say that you need to pass something in your checked luggage to someone in KL before going on to PEN. If the connection is short, you might have some problem. But give it a go.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have MH PER - xKUL - PEN flight and I want to dump the final leg ..
As KUL is your port of entry into Malaysia you may have to go through all immigration & customs formalities, with all checked & carry on baggage, before your onwards domestic flight.
Others on FT will know the procedures
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As KUL is your port of entry into Malaysia you may have to go through all immigration & customs formalities, with all checked & carry on baggage, before your onwards domestic flight.
Others on FT will know the procedures
You obviously have never transited through KLIA have you? No he doesn't have to do what you say.

KLIA has a separate immigration queue for connecting domestic passengers. His bag will be checked through to final destination. Customs procedure (usually an xray of the bag) will take place at PEN airport.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Depends on how long your connection is. If it's a couple of hours, you can say that you need to pass something in your checked luggage to someone in KL before going on to PEN. If the connection is short, you might have some problem. But give it a go.

It will actually be like a short 2 hours.

The issue with that one was i was actually entitled to a free stopover - but I was unable to book the particular stopover I wanted online on the multi-city booking online (the pricing did not come out at all). So now, if i want to add a stopover, it is free, but I need to pay RM400 to make changes to the ticket!

Ok maybe I will just go to the airport early and try to talk to them.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I would go to the airport and tell them you will be terminating your trip in KL and not going on to Penang as you wanted the stop over option of having more hours in KL but it was never offered to you as you said online when you booked and you had no choice but to take what was being offered and you do not agree with the RM400 penalty to change your flight.

They might be sensible and do the change without charging you the penalty which, I agree is stupid.

Malaysia is desperately trying to promote tourism...and if a passenger wants to spend more time in KL before heading to Penang, it makes sense to help out.

KL tourism board in DBKL has been complaining tourist don't spend enough days in KL...when they do want to, MH penalizes them.

Go figure.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by wolf72
I would go to the airport and tell them you will be terminating your trip in KL and not going on to Penang as you wanted the stop over option of having more hours in KL but it was never offered to you as you said online when you booked and you had no choice but to take what was being offered and you do not agree with the RM400 penalty to change your flight.

They might be sensible and do the change without charging you the penalty which, I agree is stupid.

Malaysia is desperately trying to promote tourism...and if a passenger wants to spend more time in KL before heading to Penang, it makes sense to help out.

KL tourism board in DBKL has been complaining tourist don't spend enough days in KL...when they do want to, MH penalizes them.

Go figure.
You might get lucky but I think it's wishful thinking. The "rules" won't change because an agent wants to "help out" the country.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72

Go figure.
With the number of Chinese tourists coming, no, Malaysia is not desperate for tourists. The change to your ticket is beyond the control of the agent. I had a situation 2 months ago where the inbound flight from PEK was delayed that I made up the excuse that I didn't want to go to BKK and if they can change the KUL-BKK to another date. They said yes, but only by a week. I wanted to change it by 3 weeks. They said no. And they won't bend the rules. They can't because its not up to them to override the rules of the fare. In the end, I just no showed my flight and went to PEN on a separate ticket.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
My experience @ LHR-KUL

While I have no experience on dumping final sectors, and my short checking experience ex-LHR is a little bit different than what you are asking, I thought I might share anyway

LHR staff were OK to short check my bags to KUL even though I had 1hr 45min layover in KUL. Realistically, if the pax was thinking of clearing immigration, picking up the bags and checking them in again 60 min. before dep. I'm not sure anything less than 2 hrs is enough. I had told the LHR staff that I would be picking up my bags and taking them on as carry on.

However, my intention was to leave them at left baggage at KLIA while I continued on to HKT, doing the turnaround and back to KUL the same day. I did make sure to stop by the trf desk at KLIA to inform them that I had a turnaround & without even pulling out my booking in their system, the staff just said that my bags will be kept at the lost & found office.

Well, I guess since no one informed the baggage office that I was doing a turnaround, they collected my bag & tagged it to HKT with me on my flight! So when I came back to KUL in the afternoon, and went to the lost & found office, the guy at the office told me my bags were still in HKT!

Anyway the bag was delivered to me in KL 48 hrs later, along with RM250 in compensation for delayed bags which I am to collect from the KLIA office on my next trip to KUL later this month. I also filed a claim with my travel insurance company with all the airline reports. Waiting to hear back from them how much comp I am entitled to
Old May 5, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No I don't believe that is the way it happened. MH would not retag a bag to HKT if the original baggage tag says it is to KUL only. Did you see that the bag is to be tagged only to KUL or you just assumed it would?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.