MH Turnaround / Back to Back

Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Originally Posted by CX_newbie
For my BA tier runs, I like to add a 2,000+ sector to mix things up for the 140TP level. Usually decent fares to India (Delhi / Mumbai both qualify). Incheon also had a very good sale recently too.
Any problem with DEL or BOM turnaround? Is it doable without a visa?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by kaffir76
I did consider switching to the earlier departure (MH794) but the thought of spending 4 hours waiting in HKT airport & the lounge is not very enticing.
There are some shops I saw on my taxi on the way into HKT. Seems like walkable distance from the airport itself. If you have 4 hours, walk outside, have some local Thai food, get a massage and then head back to the airport.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by shimura
Any problem with DEL or BOM turnaround? Is it doable without a visa?
Not doable without a visa (transit ok only if heading onto a third country, and not returning to original departure country).

I spent 24 hours in Delhi, very enjoyable.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Not doable without a visa (transit ok only if heading onto a third country, and not returning to original departure country).

I spent 24 hours in Delhi, very enjoyable.
Cx, thanks for confirming the third country conditions for transit, I was wrongly thinking something changed in the last 2-3 years.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Finished off my 14 sector weekend TP run - mainly going KUL - KBR and KUL - JHB.

Easy to turn around at those airports. Hop on and hop off.

Biggest disappointment was - I never saw a single stick of satay. Food menus on the KBR sector where

- Mutarbhak
- Dimsum
- Shepherds Pie
- Spinach and Potato Warp

JHB sectors only had sandwiches / continental breakfast

Its a pain in the butt (literally to be sitting that long). Going forward, I may just do a TPE return for the same amount of tier points daily.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Would be to see what time your flight arrives & how fast you can clear immigration coz' the lines can be crazy sometimes & even the J class priority lanes are longer than the regular foreign passports lane.
Before clearing passport control, check road conditions using Google maps or Waze. Then decide if you wanna go still ..

How fast can you drink/eat hot soup would be the other consideration
Managed to get to Klang and back to get my bakkutteh. Maybe I went to the wrong store - but didn't seem to be that wow.

Arrived 5:30pm, left KLIA at 6pm.
Returned at 910pm (for a 945pm domestic departure).

Still was worried I was going to miss my return flight because the dodgy taxi driver decided to take the scenic road to presumably avoid tolls!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:50 pm

ermen, thanks for the reports.

Did you taxi to and from Klang? I would have to say it's definitely restaurant dependant. I dream of the BKT in Klang having been to Klang there a few dozen times, but the last trip I was disappointed too.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by ermen
Managed to get to Klang and back to get my bakkutteh. Maybe I went to the wrong store - but didn't seem to be that wow.

Still was worried I was going to miss my return flight because the dodgy taxi driver decided to take the scenic road to presumably avoid tolls!
You could very well have missed your flight. I hate malaysian taxi drivers who do this. They know very well people are going to the airport specifically to catch flights but do this "lets take the scenic route" and make life difficult for the passenger.

You wonder why people are running to uber and grab a car now.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

ermen, thanks for the reports.

Did you taxi to and from Klang? I would have to say it's definitely restaurant dependant. I dream of the BKT in Klang having been to Klang there a few dozen times, but the last trip I was disappointed too.
I took a metered taxi to and from Klang.
Hopped onto one at KLIA @ 605pm and got there ~705pm after the taxi driver took a wrong turn and we were stuck down a one way street and had to make a big circle back around the bridge. Would have been there at ~650pm otherwise. But the taxi driver was pleasant and efficient.

I went to Senghuat. Heard it was meant to be one of the better ones?

Originally Posted by wolf72
You could very well have missed your flight. I hate malaysian taxi drivers who do this. They know very well people are going to the airport specifically to catch flights but do this "lets take the scenic route" and make life difficult for the passenger.

You wonder why people are running to uber and grab a car now.
Let at 750 so was not worried about miss my flight. But then, I got worried as the driver went to some random gas station to refill his gas! I told him about my flight and he said "no problem i have shortcut". I told him to take the expressway and he said it "will take longer because of jam". So what am I going to do? Kick him out the car?

FWIW I paid a fixed price of RM90 to get to KLIA (from Klang). He didn't want to run the meter and I didn't bother arguing with him because RM90 seemed the right price as it was what I paid from the airport.

I would have taken Grab/Uber, but for my phone battery that died at the most inconvenient time.

Still, I glad I went! Beats sitting around the airport for 3.5hours! Think my risk tolerance is quite high.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Hopped onto one at KLIA @ 605pm and got there ~705pm after the taxi driver took a wrong turn and we were stuck down a one way street and had to make a big circle back around the bridge. Would have been there at ~650pm otherwise. But the taxi driver was pleasant and efficient.

Let at 750 so was not worried about miss my flight. But then, I got worried as the driver went to some random gas station to refill his gas! I told him about my flight and he said "no problem i have shortcut". I told him to take the expressway and he said it "will take longer because of jam". So what am I going to do? Kick him out the car?

FWIW I paid a fixed price of RM90 to get to KLIA (from Klang). He didn't want to run the meter and I didn't bother arguing with him because RM90 seemed the right price as it was what I paid from the airport.

I would have taken Grab/Uber, but for my phone battery that died at the most inconvenient time.

Still, I glad I went! Beats sitting around the airport for 3.5hours! Think my risk tolerance is quite high.
Uber and Grab both are available to and from the airport and only charge about RM75 to Klang and offers way better cars and drivers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

You just made a taxi driver very happy...

Uber/Grab would have cost you only RM 75 (Uber) & RM 65 (Grab) to anywhere in the Klang Valley - that includes Klang !
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

Ah, the ole have to stop at petrol station to top up the gas for the gas tank routine. Yes, they all do that. They top up either on the way to or from the airport, so they don't have to waste time after dropping you getting in line for the next passenger.

Better you lose 10-15 minutes than them.

Sorry, I just do not trust Malaysian taxi drivers anymore. Had enough.

And not worth the stress, anguish and arguments there after.

I like my train from the airport to KL Sentral and then grab a car there after to whatever destination in the city I need to get to. No stress. No worries. and NO RIP OFF'S.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by wolf72
Ah, the ole have to stop at petrol station to top up the gas for the gas tank routine. Yes, they all do that. They top up either on the way to or from the airport, so they don't have to waste time after dropping you getting in line for the next passenger.

Better you lose 10-15 minutes than them.

Sorry, I just do not trust Malaysian taxi drivers anymore. Had enough.

And not worth the stress, anguish and arguments there after.

I like my train from the airport to KL Sentral and then grab a car there after to whatever destination in the city I need to get to. No stress. No worries. and NO RIP OFF'S.
This is why even locals have ditched taxis for Uber/Grab ^
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
You did good, boy :)

A successful MR + BKT is a win win in my book
So you spent a bit more on taxi, but IMO - only locals will know about the current GRABcar promo (RM 65 + tolls)
I certainly wasn't aware of it until I saw the billboard on the highway.
And if you are UK or US Based, RM 20 is nothing much .. peanuts really
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Will post my turnaround experience after I complete the trip and get some time to do the write up - but I must add that it's been a heart stopping week :/

By the way, in the THAI frum there is a thread about HKT airport & immigration
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...huket-hkt.html
Not sure how I should approach the update, since doubl postings are not allowed
Post the update here & post a link there?
Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.