MH370 KUL-PEK Missing 8 Mar 2014: Search & Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI]

Subscribe
On March 26, Xuelong, Zhonghai Shaohua and Chinese Naval vessels Qiandaohu, Kunlunshan and Haikou arrived at the waters where floating objects possibly related to the missing aircraft were spotted by the Australian side. They have begun searching the area assigned by Australia to China. China will integrate its aircrafts and vessels, enhance their coordination so as to develop synergies and play an important role in the search operation in relevant waters.

Haixun 01, South China Sea Rescue 115, East China Sea Rescue 101 are on their way to the same waters.

Haixun 31, South China Sea Rescue 101 and Chinese Naval vessels Jinggangshan and Yongxingdao are still searching in the eastern part of the southern Indian Ocean.

Quote: Success is on station, I wasn't sure Xuě Lóng (Snow Dragon) had arrived on station yet. Of course with the rotten weather nobody did much Tuesday or Thursday, unfortunately. Have the PLANs arrived on station yet? Also to be joined by a merchant ship, Zhonghai Shaohua. I know Tuesday ships moved south due to a Sea State 7 condition, and they were debating pulling them out earlier Thursday. A lot of movement.

You are correct. HMAS Success is a supply ship:

Quote: What parts of an airplane would be buoyant after being churned about in 10+ ft. seas for nearly three weeks? I wouldn't think that there would be very much that wouldn't sink - maybe seat cushions and anything with entrapped air but what would that be? I'd think that anything with metal (aluminum has a specific gravity of 2.7) woudn't float for long in that environment.
The rudder, elevators, maybe flaps, possibly part of either wing, but aside from that, smaller non-metallic debris such as seat cushions (which are flotation devices), insulation, luggage, maybe a life raft got ejected in the crash. Most of the wreckage is on the bottom.
Quote: I keep thinking "$10.90 for Swift, we'd be able to narrow the search area considerably - and know the path and aircraft conditions". Maybe Swift will be mandatory for at least longhauls some day soon?
Does anyone know if SWIFT would have stayed operation without ACARS are they on different busses, different control mechanisms etc?
Quote: Does anyone know if SWIFT would have stayed operation without ACARS are they on different busses, different control mechanisms etc?
The information available states if ACARS had been turned off, Swift would have continued to function - so, I don't know, but separate busses are indicated. (Some aspect of ACARS was still powered - the "handshake" signal was both received and returned.)
Latest update from AMSA:
http://www.amsa.gov.au/media/documen...70Update23.pdf
Maybe someone can help me understand this latest update - where they have changed the search area based on new radar data.

I'm at a loss for this - over the last two days, we've had satellite images with hundreds of debris items of some type, but the weather hasn't been cooperative. Certainly they've plotted their best guess as to where the debris would most likely have gone since the satellite images. And then now they say they are changing the search area based on radar data, which in essence means they are not going to look at where the debris field spotted by the various satellites was?
Quote: Latest update from AMSA:
http://www.amsa.gov.au/media/documen...70Update23.pdf
This is really strange...

- the update from AMSA stated "today’s search will shift to an area 1,100 kilometres to the north east based on updated advice provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia."

- during the AMSA press conference they quoted new assumptions based on the fact MH370 was travelling FASTER than they initially assumed

- previously published site map was showing likely impact area moves further to the north-east based on SLOWER assumed speed for MH370 - see http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image..._250314_v2.gif

This is conflicting information isn't it?
Quote: This is really strange...

- the update from AMSA stated "today’s search will shift to an area 1,100 kilometres to the north east based on updated advice provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia."

- during the AMSA press conference they quoted new assumptions based on the fact MH370 was travelling FASTER than they initially assumed

- previously published site map was showing likely impact area moves further to the north-east based on SLOWER assumed speed for MH370 - see http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image..._250314_v2.gif

This is conflicting information isn't it?
Travelling faster means higher fuel consumption, therefore the aircraft can not travel as far as had been assumed previously; the "ping" calculation was based in part on Doppler shift, meaning the higher speed also skews the line of assumed flight direction.

Satellite photos of debris are meaningless if the debris is away from an improved search area. Debris has to be checked further by aircraft, verified by marine resources (ships) most likely - and then a line of drift and distance have to be calculated for the many days debris has been moved by winds, currents, etc. to determine a likely area of impact.

Then and only then, can they accurately begin to search for the Flight Data and Cockpit Voice Recorders, main wreckage, etc.

Quote:
The new search area is approximately 123,127 sq mi / 319,000 sq kms and around 1,150 mi / 1,850 km west of Perth. Satellites are being redeployed to survey the new search area. (wiki, sourced BBC, Aviation Herald, Malay Mail online, etc.)
This is still a huge area, and floating debris is likely some distance from the actual impact area.
If the plane was moving FASTER than they previously thought, then wouldn't the search area move south instead of north? It's not as if the plane ran out of fuel and stopped flying sooner than we thought-as we have known for a while the plane kept going until at least 8:11am. Perhaps I am missing something.
Color me also confused. I thought we knew exactly where the plane was at the time of the last ping(8:11am) already and that the only uncertainty is what the plane did after that time.
Quote: If the plane was moving FASTER than they previously thought, then wouldn't the search area move south instead of north? It's not as if the plane ran out of fuel and stopped flying sooner than we thought-as we have known for a while the plane kept going until at least 8:11am. Perhaps I am missing something.
Yes that's exactly where I was coming from... now AMSA just published this map showing today's search area and assumptions or MH370 routes based on speed...

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws....ch_handout.pdf

Most likely they worked out MH370 speed during the FIRST part of its journey (still covered by Malaysian & Thai radars) was FASTER than they previously assumed and therefore consumed more fuel - also the climb to 45,000 feet and the segment flew at lower altitude must have contributed to higher fuel consumption - therefore the only possibility for the plane to stay in the air until the last ping was to fly SLOWER in the second part of the route (south) putting it further up north (being slower) and closer to the Australian coast (due to the arc traced using the last satellite ping).

This is the only sensible deduction based on the info released today as far as I'm concerned...
Quote: Color me also confused. I thought we knew exactly where the plane was at the time of the last ping(8:11am) already and that the only uncertainty is what the plane did after that time.
No, they don't know exactly where the aircraft was, not even close. The calculations done by Inmarsat necessarily had to make assumptions about the speed and altitude of the aircraft. Based on an assumed altitude, they produced tracks for different speeds and altitudes, two of which are shown on the map, one for 400 kts and the other for 450 kts. If the aircraft was flying higher or lower than their assumption, the tracks are incorrect. Additionally, they don't know how much longer the aircraft flew after the last ping, although they are apparently making an assumption that the last ping, which was incomplete, occurred at the time the aircraft was going down. Note also that they had to make some assumptions about how many hours of fuel were remaining when the aircraft started on the southerly heading. Depending on how high the aircraft ascended, it wasted some the fuel that would have normally been used for cruising. So you can see why the search area is not a neat little box with a red ribbon around it.

Quote: If the plane was moving FASTER than they previously thought, then wouldn't the search area move south instead of north? It's not as if the plane ran out of fuel and stopped flying sooner than we thought-as we have known for a while the plane kept going until at least 8:11am. Perhaps I am missing something.
I agree, this is strange. The argument is that the faster the aircraft flew, the less range it would have. However, as you point out, the time of the pings is known so the aircraft must have been airborne until at least the time of the last ping. If it was travelling more quickly, you'd think it would have gone farther.
Quote: I agree, this is strange. The argument is that the faster the aircraft flew, the less range it would have. However, as you point out, the time of the pings is known so the aircraft must have been airborne until at least the time of the last ping. If it was travelling more quickly, you'd think it would have gone farther.
But let's not forget to factor in wind and currents.
Quote: Travelling faster means higher fuel consumption, therefore the aircraft can not travel as far as had been assumed previously; the "ping" calculation was based in part on Doppler shift, meaning the higher speed also skews the line of assumed flight direction.

Satellite photos of debris are meaningless if the debris is away from an improved search area. Debris has to be checked further by aircraft, verified by marine resources (ships) most likely - and then a line of drift and distance have to be calculated for the many days debris has been moved by winds, currents, etc. to determine a likely area of impact.

Then and only then, can they accurately begin to search for the Flight Data and Cockpit Voice Recorders, main wreckage, etc.

This is still a huge area, and floating debris is likely some distance from the actual impact area.
Considering how difficult it has been to locate and recover confirmed evidence of the aircraft, I don't see why they aren't focusing on locating the debris that has been seen by the French and thai satellites. That seems to be more concrete than a speculation that the aircraft was flying on a different track.
Quote: Most likely they worked out MH370 speed during the FIRST part of its journey (still covered by Malaysian & Thai radars) was FASTER than they previously assumed and therefore consumed more fuel - also the climb to 45,000 feet and the segment flew at lower altitude must have contributed to higher fuel consumption - therefore the only possibility for the plane to stay in the air until the last ping was to fly SLOWER in the second part of the route (south) putting it further up north (being slower) and closer to the Australian coast (due to the arc traced using the last satellite ping).

This is the only sensible deduction based on the info released today as far as I'm concerned...
It's also consistent with the trend of the map in the Wiki (second under "Maps, imagery, graphics") - the one that shows the whole region with two tracks. Note that the 400 knots track (yellow) gives a endpoint north and east of the endpoint for the 450s knot (blue) track. It looks like those were two extremes to give the boundaries of the problem, but this new evidence suggests the speed was closer to 400 knots than 450.