Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Villa D'Este - Lake Como, Italy

Villa D'Este - Lake Como, Italy

Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, HH Diamond, HY Explorist, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Au, UA Ag
HaydenFive -- Great trip reports! Love the pics.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wikipedia also mentions saab and volvo.
Volvo provides free airfare and a 1-night hotel stay, too.

I have done the BMW Euro delivery a couple of times -- it's great fun. When I first did it, a local dealer (who was not very well versed in the program) said, 'Yes, it's cheaper -- but you have to go all the way to Germany.' What he saw as a hurdle, I saw as an excellent excuse for racking up some miles.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the BMW program, I recommend checking out the forums at BimmerFest.com. (NOTE: I have zero affiliation to Bimmerfest, other than being a long-time lurker who frequents their site a lot when it comes time to planning for another European delivery.)
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:48 pm
formerly Marwanie

Programs: BA Silver, MH Enrich Gold, BMI
Is there a similar forum for Mercedes (like Bimmerfest)? I'm planning on getting a new car in the next few months and I love the design of the latest Mercedes C/E class, more than the other models at the moment (I think the CLS is a bit OTT in some ways).
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent, VS G, CO G, US Plat, IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Marwanie
Is there a similar forum for Mercedes (like Bimmerfest)? I'm planning on getting a new car in the next few months and I love the design of the latest Mercedes C/E class, more than the other models at the moment (I think the CLS is a bit OTT in some ways).
www.mbworld.org
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any recent experiences at Villa d'Este? Is it really the only luxury hotel option in the Lake Como district (is Lugano an option?) It seems, rather stuffy.. I like luxury, but not jacket and tie luxury..

FDW
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you should do feltrinelli instead, i recently bumped thread
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BLV
Simply LOVE Villa d'Este. Here are some of my photos
I know your post is nearly a year and a half old, but I have to say, my God... your pictures are gorgeous.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:43 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I know your post is nearly a year and a half old, but I have to say, my God... your pictures are gorgeous.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks, Stumblefoot. I look at these 5 & 6 year old photos and realize that I need to get back and take much better ones.

While I hear only the greatest things about Feltrinelli, I would never discourage anyone from staying at d'Este.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
any recent experiences at Villa d'Este? Is it really the only luxury hotel option in the Lake Como district (is Lugano an option?) It seems, rather stuffy.. I like luxury, but not jacket and tie luxury..

FDW
My experiences aren't recent. We stayed there in 2005 & 2006, two weeks. It has a very serene, tranquil setting and yes, for dinner you have to put on a jacket & tie, but so what? You don't need one at the pool, or during breakfast (one of the most magical times of the day, when the blue fog is sitting atop the lake and all you hear is an occasional splash of water):

If you want to visit Lake Como and want a luxury hotel, this would still be the only option for me.

Last edited by BLV; Jan 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by BLV
I look at these 5 & 6 year old photos and realize that I need to get back and take much better ones.
Yes, please do. I encourage that wholeheartedly!

At this time, I can only dream of a visit there one day. You're photos keep that dream alive.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:10 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

beautiful pics...

trying to decide between Aman Sveti Stefan vs a visit to Lake COmo...

FDW
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you should do feltrinelli instead, i recently bumped thread
But Villa Feltrinelli is not in the Lake Como area. It's on Lake Garda.

There are other "luxury" options on Lake Como but none of them compare to Villa d'Este. I have always wondered why so many of my fellow Americans feel drawn to Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:40 am
BLV

Yes, please do. I encourage that wholeheartedly!
It'd be nice to do it next year and check it out in the spring, while everything is in bloom, although that means less pool time

Originally Posted by jja34-1

There are other "luxury" options on Lake Como but none of them compare to Villa d'Este. I have always wondered why so many of my fellow Americans feel drawn to Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio.
I'm with you there. Bellagio is more picturesque than Cernobbio, so perhaps that's one in favor of the location, but the hotel itself cannot be compared to d'Este or its grounds and atmosphere.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
beautiful pics...

trying to decide between Aman Sveti Stefan vs a visit to Lake COmo...

FDW
Aman Sveti Stefan without doubt. Incredible scenery - even more stunning than Como. And the hotel staff is so much warmer than Villa d'Este, the beds are more comfortable, the restaurants better and more varied. There are 3 beaches, too. Save Como for when someone opens a really good hotel there.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Save Como for when someone opens a really good hotel there.
And, I hope you'll keep us totally updated on anything you hear / see / experience when that happens.

You know many of us live vicariously through you right?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:35 am

And, I hope you'll keep us totally updated on anything you hear / see / experience when that happens.

You know many of us live vicariously through you right?
Of course, I will, but I am not holding out too much hope for a new hotel in Como. You never know, though. After all, Adrian Zecha is mooted to be opening an Aman in Venice, sooooo.....

Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:29 pm

Is Villa Deste still the nicest option? We will be driving from St Moritz to a Milan airport, does it pay to stay overnight or should we just stop by for a few hours?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.