Wiki Posts
Search

Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster......allow me to provide you the background:

I booked a room at the St. Regis Punta Mita, fully refundable, that basically gives 6 nights at the price of 4 with breakfast. After reading some less than favorable reviews here about the St. Regis, I noticed from one of the FSPP agents here about the $1,234 credit for 4 night stays. Including FSPP perks, it brings the cost of the similar 6 nights into a very close range. As such, price is not a factor, albeit it favors FS.

With this being said, I am going away with my fiance (no kids) and we are just looking for a relaxing week to sit poolside and read books. I may play a round or two of golf and get a couples massage at some point, but our focus is really just to relax and enjoy a top notch resort. While I have no issues paying for good dinners, I expect unlimited complimentary bottles of water in Mexico.

So given the background, the questions are:
1. Do I go with St. Regis over FS?
2. Do I bail on Punta Mita and go to Mayakoba to stay at the Rosewood (for more money)
3. Where else would you recommend?

Thanks,
RBARR
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
I'll be really interested to hear comparisons of these two properties.

One extra thing to consider -- since the Four Seasons also has a Stay 2, Get 1 free promotion, the cost for 6 nights is the same as the cost for 7 nights. (Assuming you utilize the Stay 4, Get $1,234 promotion.)

And welcome to FT!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. FS punta mita $1234 promo, booked twice back-to-back
2. banyan tree mayakoba

OTOH considering how unusual the deal is you might also consider 3rd nt free on say beachfront room at FS punta mita.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

"One extra thing to consider -- since the Four Seasons also has a Stay 2, Get 1 free promotion, the cost for 6 nights is the same as the cost for 7 nights. (Assuming you utilize the Stay 4, Get $1,234 promotion.)"

Wouldn't the best deal be to do back to back $1,234 promotions, even if I only were to only stay for 2 of the 4 nights on the second leg?

I saw your calculations bringing the cost after tax to about $890 for the $1,234 promotion. Wouldn't 2 nights at $415 be more expensive than $890 after the 30% of taxes and fees?

Btw..if I go the FS route.....can I book it with you Marsh?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rbarr24
"One extra thing to consider -- since the Four Seasons also has a Stay 2, Get 1 free promotion, the cost for 6 nights is the same as the cost for 7 nights. (Assuming you utilize the Stay 4, Get $1,234 promotion.)"

Wouldn't the best deal be to do back to back $1,234 promotions, even if I only were to only stay for 2 of the 4 nights on the second leg?

I saw your calculations bringing the cost after tax to about $890 for the $1,234 promotion. Wouldn't 2 nights at $415 be more expensive than $890 after the 30% of taxes and fees?

Btw..if I go the FS route.....can I book it with you Marsh?
Great point! If you reserve the basic room, then the $1,234 is definitely the way to go. The basic room prices out at $890 for 4 nights under the $1,234 promotion, or $1,062 for 3 nights under the Stay 2, Get 1. As Kage mentioned, if you reserve a more expensive room type, then the Stay 2, Get 1 can become a better bargain.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:30 pm

I have stayed at the Four Seasons but not the St. Regis, although I have been to the bar and beach restaurant at the St. Regis several times, as it is close to our house in Punta Mita. My choice would be the Four Seasons, although I think both have their benefits and drawbacks.

The St. Regis is obviously newer and has a more updated look - the beach club has a chic modern look that overall seems more "adult" oriented. In the Starwood forum there have been reports of spotty service and other issues. The hotel is not on the best beach in Punta Mita, but it is close to the golf club and has some pretty good views. I note that there seem to be rooms directly adjacent to the pool/bar, which I think you would want to avoid.

The Four Seasons was the first part of the Punta Mita development and as a result they have the best location, the best views and the best beach. The hotel is huge and sprawling, but it is a Four Seasons and it is impossible to fault the rooms, the amenities or the service. It is also possible to have your privacy at the hotel - there is a more intimate adults only pool and one of the beach areas (the one in front of the beach front suites) is fairly low key. The ocean front rooms are also fairly private.

Note that the hotels are not closed to non-guests. If you stay at one resort, you can easily eat at the other hotel (they are 5 minutes apart and the Four Seasons will drive you around Punta Mita; I don't know if the St. Regis has shuttle service). There are also a few nice restaurants at the private beach clubs for residents of Punta Mita.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:33 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The Tamai adult pool at FS Punta Mita is really well done... That sells me on it over the St. Regis, especially with the opening pains St. Regis has felt
Old Jul 5, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was actually quite dissapointed with the adult pool at the FS. There was no view of the ocean and no breeze. You could have been in any warm local and it would not have been any different.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
How long of a drive is it from Punta Mita across to cancun/playa del carmen?

If you had 10 days would it be possible to spend 4 days at punta mita and 5 at say the MO riviera maya? or 5 at both with a short [how short?] internal flight?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earthman, looks like a 2 hour flight. id suggest checking out banyan tree mayakoba considering rave reports here, better value than MO, and location within gated mayakoba community.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:16 pm

I had been also kicking around trying the SR instead of the FS in Punta Mita. In the end, I didn't feel the Four Seasons is broken, so I was not about to go fixing my holiday.

In my research, I did find a trip report from someone who stayed at both the St Regis and Four Seasons.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also, FS having nearly every room/residence 3rd nt free will not soon be repeated.

IIRC st regis doesnt have as good of an offer, and even their regular rates do not compare favorably to FS rates.
definitely an example of overpriced chain rates.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Punta Mita: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Any recent new stays? Which one is currently superior. And which kids club is more appealing to children?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
IMHO, FS is far superior to st Regis. It is a much nicer beach and location. The Maya Riviera is far away 2-3 hour flight and you may have to connect through Mexico City so I would not recommend unless you have two weeks. Also keep in mind the weather in Mexico. It varies depending on where you are going, but Puerto Vallerta/Punta Mita can be quite hot, humid and rainy in Aug, Sept, and even Oct. best weather is usually dec-march although with weather changing everywhere it is not always predictable!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Larkin
IMHO, FS is far superior to st Regis. It is a much nicer beach and location. The Maya Riviera is far away 2-3 hour flight and you may have to connect through Mexico City so I would not recommend unless you have two weeks. Also keep in mind the weather in Mexico. It varies depending on where you are going, but Puerto Vallerta/Punta Mita can be quite hot, humid and rainy in Aug, Sept, and even Oct. best weather is usually dec-march although with weather changing everywhere it is not always predictable!
Thanks so much Larkin. We've been to PV a few times, including a stay at FS five years ago. I'm now debating going back to FS or trying St. Regis. We just want to relax for a few days and take advantage of kids club. Already have booked tickets dirct from LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.