Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

The Louise, Barossa Valley South Australia

Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at this property? How was it? Is it worth the rather stepp tariff?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Hi Qaz - You'll probably get a lot more traffic on your query if you post in the Australia forum...

FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel&Dining: Destination >> The World > Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific

I get down to Oz quite often, though I've not been to this property. A number of Australian friends have said nice things about this property to me.

I'm not sure where you are from. If you're an American, there are a couple of things that I've found are consistent in finer Australian properties, that sometimes differ from US properties. From a careful review of the photos on their website, it looks to have a couple of hallmarks of higher end Australian properties.
  • Very contemporary bathrooms (compared to many USA or European hotels).
  • The furniture and finish in the main guestrooms and suites will be nice, but not anything that make you say wow.
  • Restaurant with crisp lines and decor, serving food that will make you think a bit (in a good way).

This is just judging the book by the cover (or maybe flipping through the photos). Try the Oz forum, someone will have been there.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:19 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Has anyone recently stayed at The Louise? Would love some feedback!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Yes, we liked it. Didn't love it! Very modern, stayed in higher end room. Food was good. I recommend, for that part of the world. We were a bit spoiled as stayed with friends' home who then left to go back to US for vacation. So maybe a bit of a let down as their place was great! We were there early January timeframe a couple of years ago. They did arrange some great tastings and I would recommend for that area. Better than staying in Adelaide.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:02 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks, Larkin!

We are booked in their top accommodation 2 bedroom Estate Suite in May. There seems to be no question that it's the best accommodation in the region, so it is the place we want to stay for certain.

I arrange my winery visits on my own...since I now have my graduate winemaking certificate from UC Davis.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks, Larkin!

We are booked in their top accommodation 2 bedroom Estate Suite in May. There seems to be no question that it's the best accommodation in the region, so it is the place we want to stay for certain.

I arrange my winery visits on my own...since I now have my graduate winemaking certificate from UC Davis.
You will enjoy! Much more casual than wine tasting in Napa Valley! A real familial vibe! Have a great time!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Some of the finest wineries to visit in the world, though there stocks of old wine are getting seriously depleted. Henschke is superb, so is d"Arenberg. Also try to eat at the Star of Greece (not quite Barossa, but 100km away so in the area) plus it gets you to the Adelaide Hills which is much under appreciated area so maybe right up your alley. Much more interesting than Napa.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I stayed there this June for two nights. It's the best place from which to tour the Barossa Valley, and the hotel can set up wine tours for you.

The hotel is nice — I'd probably rate it a high 4* — and much more reasonably priced than comparable properties in Napa. Food in the restaurant was excellent.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DavidO
I stayed there this June for two nights. It's the best place from which to tour the Barossa Valley, and the hotel can set up wine tours for you.

The hotel is nice — I'd probably rate it a high 4* — and much more reasonably priced than comparable properties in Napa. Food in the restaurant was excellent.
Thanks DavidO! That's pretty high praise from you.

I'd never allow any hotel to help set up wine tours for us, whether it be in Australia, Napa/Sonoma, South Africa, Argentina, New Zealand, France, Italy, etc. I am a very serious wine guy: we have a cellar holding 3000 bottles, and I completed a winemaking certificate (just for fun!). I ALWAYS contact the wineries directly to arrange our visits. Too many hotels and wine tour companies like to visit "pretty" wineries. I only visit wineries that produce the highest caliber of wines that I enjoy--and other wineries that those same winemakers recommend when I'm setting up the visits. Besides, you also can arrange special barrel tastings, winemaker meetings, and vineyard visits outside the normal tours/tasting events when you contact wineries directly IME.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.