FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Among MO, VJ and Charles, which one has the best location? I look at the MO rates and they are very high in comparison to VJ and Charles. Is it better view? Better F&B? More comfortable bed + room amenities? Or just bec it is a MO?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No views from the MO except from a few of the higher floor rooms and I didn't find that view particularly outstanding anyhow. It's basically a shorter walk from the MO than the Charles to the Marienplatz, a well-known Munich landmark (and, I believe, home to the busiest McDonald's in the world in 2011).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Among MO, VJ and Charles, which one has the best location? I look at the MO rates and they are very high in comparison to VJ and Charles. Is it better view? Better F&B? More comfortable bed + room amenities? Or just bec it is a MO?
room count = supply and demand (lower room count = lower supply)

73 - MO
160 - charles
300 - VJ

MO also has outdoor rooftop pool during summer, although it is bookable

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
AI look at the MO rates and they are very high in comparison to VJ and Charles. Is it better view? Better F&B? More comfortable bed + room amenities? Or just bec it is a MO?
It is a better hotel in a better location. If you have a Centurion card it can lower the cost of the MO for you with the free night deal. Not to mention the free breakfast, upgrade at time of booking, etc.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Charles is beside the Central Train Station. Its round about 5 minutes to Stachus and 15 minutes to Marienplatz, 20 minutes to Hofbruhaus (I would avoid). MO is direct at Hofbruhaus, maximum 5 minutes to Marienplatz.

View is not really a point in Munich city. The best view is at Charles to the old botanical garden, but its nothing really special. MO is in a byroad, no really spectacular views. From VJ you have views on the Maximilianstrasse, but its also nothing I would pay money for.

I prefer the rooms at the Charles, but its a personal preference. The MO is a classic hotel, perhaps a little to classic for some people. Charles is more modern and has an indoor pool. The restaurant at MO is Michelin-starred, the Charles-restaurant is a little overprized but OK (nothing special).

If money is a point for you I would take the Charles. With a good rate you get a double room for 230 including breakfast/ Virtuoso Ameneties. Under the line for the price of a double room at MO you will get a suite at the Charles (wich is nice). If money isnt a point I would take the MO because of location. You cant do anything really wrong on both hotels.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Charles is beside the Central Train Station. Its round about 5 minutes to Stachus and 15 minutes to Marienplatz, 20 minutes to Hofbruhaus (I would avoid). MO is direct at Hofbruhaus, maximum 5 minutes to Marienplatz.

View is not really a point in Munich city. The best view is at Charles to the old botanical garden, but its nothing really special. MO is in a byroad, no really spectacular views. From VJ you have views on the Maximilianstrasse, but its also nothing I would pay money for.

I prefer the rooms at the Charles, but its a personal preference. The MO is a classic hotel, perhaps a little to classic for some people. Charles is more modern and has an indoor pool. The restaurant at MO is Michelin-starred, the Charles-restaurant is a little overprized but OK (nothing special).

If money is a point for you I would take the Charles. With a good rate you get a double room for 230 including breakfast/ Virtuoso Ameneties. Under the line for the price of a double room at MO you will get a suite at the Charles (wich is nice). If money isnt a point I would take the MO because of location. You cant do anything really wrong on both hotels.
+1
Just be careful if you choose the MO, entry level rooms can have a view of the parking lot, and it's not a nice view at all ...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:51 am

Anyone heard or have comments on the CORTIINA AND LOUIS hotels in Munich ?
May not be luxury but worth a try or not ?
Good location ??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by bearbrick; Jan 14, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Anyone heard or have comments on the CORTIINA AND LOUIS hotels in Munich ?
May not be luxury but worth a try or not ?
Good location ??

Thanks in advance
Dont know both hotels from inside, but both have a perfect location in my eyes as a notoric visitor in Munich.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:19 am

I stayed at CORTIINA hotel which is ok - perfect location, but wouldn't call it luxury but rather boutique. It's very close to Hofbruhaus and not far from MO.

If you're travelling on a budget it's a good option.

Haven't heard good things about LOUIS.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by DonJ
I stayed at CORTIINA hotel which is ok - perfect location, but wouldn't call it luxury but rather boutique. It's very close to Hofbruhaus and not far from MO.

If you're travelling on a budget it's a good option.

Was the housekeeping and room quality up to scratch ?
Cleanliness ?? , noise ??
Terrified of boutiqueky hotels with more form than function ...and small , tiny rooms.
As for budget , the rates are in the ball park with the Charles ...!!!

What was the negative comments about Louis ? Appreciate comments , thks

Danke.

Last edited by bearbrick; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:48 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bearbrick
As for budget , the rates are in the ball park with the Charles ...!!!
And you think about the Cortiina
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by DonJ
I stayed at the Louis last year (2011?). I doubt I return. It was OK, but awkward, a tad dirty, and somewhat hard to find. I tend towards hotels that have a 'lobby' and a first floor. My first choice in Munich is the MO.

I had a terrible stay the year before that at the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel. Do NOT ***EVER*** ask for a non-smoking room in Germany. I got a face full of that world renown 'Germany hospitality' when I complained about my smoking-non-smoking room.

PS -- Regarding Munich: Do whatever you need to do to avoid Hofbrauhaus.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
...PS -- Regarding Munich: Do whatever you need to do to avoid Hofbrauhaus.
Such as by not staying at the MO with it's ever-so-unhelpful staff, as it's right next door (although admittedly I never heard any noise when in my room).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do NOT ***EVER*** ask for a non-smoking room in Germany.
That was an exception. I always take a non smoking room and refuse smoking room. Today more and more hotels get completely non smoking in Germany. OK, I had smell of smoke at the bathroom at the RC Berlin and the Turkish mission smoked in my suite, but such problems arent common and were served satisfactorily.

Also, I didnt mention more unfriendly hotel staff in Germany than in other countries.

@ Hofbruhaus: Never experienced directly by myself, but I woudnt take a foot in
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Louis last year (2011?). I doubt I return. It was OK, but awkward, a tad dirty, and somewhat hard to find. I tend towards hotels that have a 'lobby' and a first floor. My first choice in Munich is the MO.

I had a terrible stay the year before that at the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel. Do NOT ***EVER*** ask for a non-smoking room in Germany. I got a face full of that world renown 'Germany hospitality' when I complained about my smoking-non-smoking room.

PS -- Regarding Munich: Do whatever you need to do to avoid Hofbrauhaus.
Hmm.. I have been very luck as I have only had great service at the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel. Great.

Agree 100% on Hofbrauhaus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.