Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by aa213bb
We will be at FSPL in a few weeks; I'll report back on this thread and let you know how I feel it fits your requirements.
At the FSPL there is a lovely fireplace with big comfy chairs and well chosen books on a coffee table in a lounge area next to another corridor of comfortable seating. Robyn, if I remember correctly you appreciate modern decor and the FSPL is classic modern elegance. In the same room as the fireplace they also often have good live music, piano and sometimes a singer. The top floor lounge, also the place to relax if your room isn't ready yet, has a stunning view of the city and is a delightful place to take tea and sit on the terrace. They will bring you blankets if you want to sit outside. I'd recommend the FSPL.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:58 am

Covent Garden Hotel fits the bill, I think.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Covent Garden Hotel fits the bill, I think.
Agreed.

I am still voting (regularly) for the Town Hall Hotel and Apartments which together with ace bartenders, 2 star Michelin restaurant, very nice pool in the basement, great large suites, and finally a good concierge as of earlier this year- is muscling its way into the 5 star crowd for those of us who like to be close to Hackney, Broadway Market, the city.....
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:36 pm

Stafford after renovation?
Old wing of the Connaught?
Dukes?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Many options
Also Dorchaster or Berkeley fit the bill, even if I don´t really like the rooms at this hotels. But they have nice restaurants....
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:40 pm

The Goring is the best hotel in London. I stay there often even though i live in London. We take weekends into town. ^

The Ritz is worth a mention.

Last edited by lighting; Dec 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:29 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

The Connaught indeed also matches the requirements. Fireplace, British cosiness, Aman Spa, great bathrooms (depending on the room type), great location within walking distance to many great restaurants.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:24 am

A vote for The Stafford

The OP has given London travelers an enormous gift with this thread. I wish I'd had such guidance when planning my trip there.

It's been a few years, so my info is not the most current, but we (2 adults; 2 late adolescent sons) stayed at The Stafford and I would not stay anywhere else (well, maybe the Connaught now that we're done paying college tuition...)

We are usually FS types and I originally thought we would prefer that or the Dorchester but we visited both while in London and found them (the common areas) sterile and impersonal. I don't know if it is generally the case, but when we were there the clientele of both hotels seemed predominantly Middle Eastern whereas The Stafford has a tradition of welcoming Americans so as it turned out, we felt more at home there as relatively unsophisticated travelers.

We were originally booked in the main building at The Stafford. Rooms were a bit cramped and creaky but still, all was as advertised and no real complaints. Since we were there for ten days, though, we moved over to the Mews where the rooms were more contemporary - felt a lot like FS rooms, in fact. Could not have been happier. The staff was just lovely - so welcoming, and professional. We could really feel that they wanted us to enjoy our stay at the hotel and in London. We appreciated the excellent location and the fact that it was quiet.

The American Bar was memorable although its food was forgettable.(But that was generally the case; I don't remember a truly great meal while we were there - I guess the Wolseley was our favorite haunt. Especially disappointing was Tea at The Ritz; way overhyped and overpriced.)

I had done a fair amount of research on the hotels before our trip so I stepped into as many as I could during our wanderings and it seems David O. has perfectly captured the flavor of the better London hotels. What a great guide!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:58 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Groombridge
I think London is a great city during the cold...
I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful suggestions. But- when I actually started looking at weather reports - and talked with my husband - well we don't even own clothes suitable for winter in London. An occasional day with a high of "only" about 50 - yes. Real winter - no. In fact - neither of us could remember the last time we voluntarily went to a place that has winter except when we used to ski (decades ago). Anyway - I hope your suggestions will help other people. I know there are people who like to/must travel during the winter. They're not wimps like we are. Robyn
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robyng
I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful suggestions. But- when I actually started looking at weather reports - and talked with my husband - well we don't even own clothes suitable for winter in London. An occasional day with a high of "only" about 50 - yes. Real winter - no. In fact - neither of us could remember the last time we voluntarily went to a place that has winter except when we used to ski (decades ago). Anyway - I hope your suggestions will help other people. I know there are people who like to/must travel during the winter. They're not wimps like we are. Robyn
London is never really that cold.

If you wrote you were headed to Helsinki for the winter- OK- that is one thing.

It is 37 F this morning early in London- not wonderful however not too brutal either.

Personally some cities including Paris, London, and Milan are somehow more interesting in the winter.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
But- when I actually started looking at weather reports - and talked with my husband - well we don't even own clothes suitable for winter in London.
Thank you for this information We have rain in Germany, mixed with some snow. Round about 32 °F. We shall get 20 °F next week. But it´s OK, I hate warm weather. I like to freeze!

But without joking: You can´t compare Florida with GB! I were at GB and the people wear Shorts at 60 °F, because it was summer for them. If you would ask for a switched on fireplace if it is 50 °F outside, you could see laughing faces
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

I can assure you that most people in the UK will not be wearing shorts when it's 60F (15c - which I had to look up!) - we would have the central heating on then never mind at 50F (10c). I actually find that the few people that you might find wearing shorts in winter are antipodeans bizarrely - oh and my postman. The rest of us are well wrapped up.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:14 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thank you for this information We have rain in Germany, mixed with some snow. Round about 32 °F. We shall get 20 °F next week. But it´s OK, I hate warm weather. I like to freeze!

But without joking: You can´t compare Florida with GB! I were at GB and the people wear Shorts at 60 °F, because it was summer for them. If you would ask for a switched on fireplace if it is 50 °F outside, you could see laughing faces
I am very glad we spent 2 weeks in Germany in 2007 during spargel season in May (wonderful food - great spring weather). When I started to think about it - why travel to a place when the weather is bad? It would be like you coming to Florida in August (unless you liked to go scuba diving in very warm water).

And I know I can't compare Florida - even north Florida (where I live now - used to live in Miami for 20+ years) with northern climates where you get real winter. Just to give you a "for example" - we've had a very warm winter so far. But we have a cold front coming through now - and we will be getting more normal "winter weather" in a day or 2. And the weather report says - low of 40 - high of about 60 - time to take out your winter coat.

I realize people who live "up north" will laugh at this - but I have family members who live in Michigan - and they can't stand the "heat" when they visit Florida and it's 80.

I think it all depends what you're used to. Also - what kind of clothes you have. I may not have proper winter clothing - but I have shirts and shorts that "wick off" perspiration when it's hot outside.

BTW - I think my funniest "winter" story involved a visit to Wales one year. It was only October - but the weather was absolutely dreadful. Cold and rainy and windy. So - being tourists - we decided to visit Caernarfon Castle. No one mentioned it didn't have a roof . Robyn
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
... It was only October - but the weather was absolutely dreadful. Cold and rainy and windy. .... Robyn
Sounds like an Indian Summer in Wales
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
London is never really that cold.

If you wrote you were headed to Helsinki for the winter- OK- that is one thing.

It is 37 F this morning early in London- not wonderful however not too brutal either.

Personally some cities including Paris, London, and Milan are somehow more interesting in the winter.
I "like" winter (just for a short period of time, however). I find places take on a certain charm, especially around the holidays. I couldn't picture myself living full-time in a place that doesn't have all four seasons.

Last edited by Shangri-La; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.