Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
I would recomend the Gold Floor of the Fairmont Waterfront.

PanPac is nice. The FS is the single worst FS property in the portfolio.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:25 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I stayed at the PanPac in July, the hotel was alright, but service and room could both have been better. The view over the harbour was a truly memorable experience - the mountains in the distance, floatplanes and giant cruise ships.

If you are looking for view, it's the place to stay. Personally, I'm glad I saw it but probably wouldn't stay there again...

The Four Seasons didn't look that great either last year, but service was great. Rooms were similar standard and size as PanPac
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Difficult decision...

PanPac comes for 98.- EUR incl. Breakfast, FS is 102.- EUR acc.only !

Guess I try FS in NOV and PanPac in JAN

Thanks for your support ! :-:
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: Platinum Amex, BAEC Blue, BA PP Amex, Club SLH, Avis Wizard
I stayed at both this July and in short I would say that the PanPac has it. The views are amazing! The FS is well over due an update though the service and communal areas are better.

If you do go for the PanPac can I recommend that you go over the road to the Heron Bar at the Fairmont for breakfast as it beats the naff buffet at the PanPac hands down. In fact I would say that the Fairmont is the best hotel in Vancouver, though I did like the intimate atmosphere at the Wedgewood.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier
The FS in VAncouver is referred to as the "Two Seasons"....needs a lot of work. By far the best product you can buy is The Fairmont Waterfront...and I'd splurge for GOLD floor. If you want to be closer to Robson Street which is the shopping hub of Vancouver, there is also The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver...again, GOLD floor. One you go "GOLD", you don't go back!!!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:17 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by hotelsales
The FS in VAncouver is referred to as the "Two Seasons"....needs a lot of work. By far the best product you can buy is The Fairmont Waterfront...and I'd splurge for GOLD floor. If you want to be closer to Robson Street which is the shopping hub of Vancouver, there is also The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver...again, GOLD floor. One you go "GOLD", you don't go back!!!
The guestrooms need a major gut job but the service at the hotel is still the finest in the city. When guests/clients of ours want top notch service we send them to the FS; when they want fantastic views we send them to the Westin Bayshore or the Pan Pacific. Fairmont Gold is okay if you can afford it but I don't thinnk it is worth the premium.
However, from Four Seasons sources, the renovation of the hotel should be announced sometime in the near future.....
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by luxury
The guestrooms need a major gut job but the service at the hotel is still the finest in the city. When guests/clients of ours want top notch service we send them to the FS; when they want fantastic views we send them to the Westin Bayshore or the Pan Pacific. Fairmont Gold is okay if you can afford it but I don't thinnk it is worth the premium.
However, from Four Seasons sources, the renovation of the hotel should be announced sometime in the near future.....
Luxury,

What is your opinion of the Metropolitan and the Sutton Place? Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:58 am

I'm a big fan of Four Seasons. Loved it while I stayed there. Everything seemed to be great -- and service was great!
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
Luxury,

What is your opinion of the Metropolitan and the Sutton Place? Thanks.
The Sutton Place is a favourite of Hollywood stars who frequent Vancouver, especially the extended stay residences adjacent to the hotel. As for the hotel itself, the decor is getting a little dated and the service can be spotty at times. However, their chocolate buffet is quite popular and the pastry chef is quite amazing with sugar.

The Met is a low key place with a kick-a$$ restaurant, Diva At The Met. The rooms are comfortable and the service decent. We have had no complaints from family friends, guests, and clients we have sent to the Met. We have heard a few more negatives of the Sutton Place.

While I have not stayed at these hotels myself (yet) I have seen the rooms and have experienced some of the service myself (being invited to the rooms of our guests and having room service, etc).
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:08 pm

I have just heard from good authority that the days of Chartwell restaurant in the FS YVR appear numbered.

If, or when, this should happen it will be a sad day.... we have had many many wonderful meals there over the years.

No word, though, on the timing. The renovations are still impending but still no word as to when.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:02 pm

Greetings from the Shangri-La Vancouver on Opening Day. It is not often that a new luxury hotel opens here in Vancouver so we wanted to be amongst the first guests to try out this new hotel.

The city is quite abuzz about the opening with a lot of local interest.

We are about to head to Market by Jean Georges Vongerichten, the hotel restaurant, for dinner so I will post a more structured review shortly.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looking forward to another great report. ^

BTW - any idea if the residences can be rented short term?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
looking forward to another great report. ^

BTW - any idea if the residences can be rented short term?
I will try to ask..
Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Great !

Looking forward to the juicy details ^
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:22 pm

Market by Jean-Georges

I will talk about Market by Jean-Georges first since I am still in the process of giving the hotel feedback. Once I have completed that I will post the rest of my report.

For a foodie like me, I was very excited to heat that Jean-Georges Vongerichten would be opening his first Canadian restaurant in Vancouver at the Shangri-La. It of course helps that he is one of my favourite chefs as I have been to many of his restaurants: Jean-Georges, JoJo, Vong and Mercer Kitchen in New York, Vong in London (RIP), and Market in Paris.

The restaurant was full on opening night. We were fortunate to be able to get a last minute reservation. The restaurant is split into two dining areas -- one a smaller cafe off to the right on the main entrance and a larger main dining room with a private room to the left once you go around the bar area.

The dining room is done in taupes and greys with some accents of red; a neutral background for the food. There was a LOT of staff on hand -- perhaps due to opening night -- and the service was quite French and very attentive without being intrusive. Bread was replenished constantly as was our water.

The menu is reasonably priced for the quality -- appetizers (les entrées) about $12 on average, mains (les plats) $25, and desserts at $8.00. Some familiar items on the menu included the rice cracker coated tuna with sriracha scallion sauce, the seared scallops with cauliflower with raisin caper emulsion, and the molten lava chocolate cake.

While all food items were available the wine list was incomplete (not all selections had arrived in time) was fairly limited, and the cocktail menu was terribly uninspiring.

I had the rice cracker tuna which was just awesome to start. My sister had the creamy tomato soup which was decadent and rich without being too heavy. I then had the lobster with potato truffle gnocchi (a sublime dish as the lobster was grilled and then removed from the shell) and my sister the asparagus salad. The asparagus salad had some light and airy hollandaise sauce which went well with the vinaegrette on the salad.

For dessert, I had the creme fraiche cheesecake which is so light and flavourful and juxtaposed against an intense sorbet and some stewed cherries. My sister had the molten lava chocolate cake which she thought was okay (the one at the Mercer Kitchen in NYC was far better).

Jean-Georges himself was there and I was fortunate enough to get a photo taken with him to add to my collection: Jacques Torres, Daniel Boulud and his Kitchen brigade, Phillipe Rochat, Antoine Westermann, Emile Jacob, and Paul Bocuse.

I really enjoyed the restaurant immensely and will definitely will be back. I think Market will give YEW at the Four Seasons a run for their money. I would give Market the edge for service (the service style is more formal) and an edge on the food. The ambiance is better at YEW.

It will be interesting to see how Market performs a month from now, once the hype has died down some and Jean-Georges has left the kitchen. I am, however, already planning our return visit to the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.