Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions in San Diego Area

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Suggestions in San Diego Area

We are attending a conference in San Diego in March. We are flying over from the east coast and would like to extend our visit for 3 days after the 2 day conference. We have been to San Diego a couple of times and would like to go to an upscale resort or boutique hotel within an hour or two of there.

Previously, we have stayed at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel and the Four Seasons Aviara so we would like to try someplace new. In addition, the conference is during our anniversary, so we would like a special hotel where we can celebrate.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Montage?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by glsebs
We are attending a conference in San Diego in March. We are flying over from the east coast and would like to extend our visit for 3 days after the 2 day conference. We have been to San Diego a couple of times and would like to go to an upscale resort or boutique hotel within an hour or two of there.

Previously, we have stayed at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel and the Four Seasons Aviara so we would like to try someplace new. In addition, the conference is during our anniversary, so we would like a special hotel where we can celebrate.

Any suggestions?
Rancho Valencia resort & Spa would be my choice - 49 suites, beautiful gardens and very romantic, with great views of surrounding Rancho Santa Fé. Some of the suites are looking a bit tired, so ask for a refurbished one.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:47 am
Community Director Emerita

Has anyone stayed at the Grand Del Mar? It made Conde Nast Traveler's Magazine Hot List 2008 for both its Hotel and Spa. I can affirm that Addisons, one of their restaurants is terrific.

The Grand Del Mar

See Sept 08 review and Conde-Nast Room with a View
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has anyone stayed at the Grand Del Mar? It made Conde Nast Traveler's Magazine Hot List 2008 for both its Hotel and Spa. I can affirm that Addisons, one of their restaurants is terrific.

The Grand Del Mar

Doesn't everything make the Conde Nast Hot List if it's new and relatively high-end?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 1:48 am

The Grand Del Mar

Wow. Looks like a stunning hotel! Must remind myself to book a visit soon.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 2:46 pm
Suspended

The Grand Del Mar

I should probably check this place out, and at least try the restaurant, because I live less than 5 miles from the place.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:28 pm

The Grand Del Mar must have had a very inconspicuous opening. I did not even know about it until just yesterday. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far; it has all the makings of a world-class resort.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it opened a year ago.

i cant imagine a property with great service going that long without being mentioned here. although perhaps SanDiego1K's comment about the restaurant is a positive sign?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
The Lodge at Torrey Pines is sure to please. Has won numerous awards. Expensive but quality throughout. Check it out on Tripadvisor.com.

Last edited by maltasr; Sep 27, 2008 at 6:41 pm Reason: additional information
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
it opened a year ago.

i cant imagine a property with great service going that long without being mentioned here. although perhaps SanDiego1K's comment about the restaurant is a positive sign?
All the professional reviews I've read so far rave about the service of the place. Here's an excerpt from Professional Travel Guide's review of the hotel.

Nonstop room service, turndown, twice-daily maid service, complimentary shoeshine, and daily newspapers reflect high service standards. Butlers are available.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
The Grand Del Mar

I just returned from a conference at the Grand Del Mar, and it's absolutely incredible. The rooms are fabulous. The views are breathtaking. The service is impeccable.

When you check in, they will offer to show you to your room and give you a tour. Take them up on it. The resort floor plan can be a bit confusing at first. For a resort with just 250 rooms, it's huge. The door keycard works on proximity - there's not a place to slide the keycard - just hold it by the handle.

Inside my room (one of the most basic, probably around 500-600 sqft), the bathroom was to the right, with a very deep tub, separate walk in shower, dual sinks, closet, dressing area, and a separate room for the toilet. Further into the suite was the main part of the room, with a 40" LCD TV, two desks, an incredibly comfortable king-sized bed, a corner couch, and a walk-out balcony. Every last detail was elegantly ornate, from the crown molding to the furniture, to the linens and towels, and even the air vents. Instead of having a privacy/service tag to put on the door, there were buttons on the wall. Instead of throwing the paper in front of the door, it was hung in a canvas bag.

Turndown service was especially nice. The bed was prepared. A voucher for a free shoeshine was left. A towel was laid out by the bed with memory foam slippers. A washcloth was laid out on the vanity with my toiletries neatly arranged on it. One night a delicious cookie was left. Another night, bath salts. The TV was turned on to a relaxing "welcome" of soft music with bubbles and kaleidescope scenes.

Every employee I encountered was incredibly friendly and helpful, and several others at the convention had similar comments. It was like every employee made a special effort to engage in conversation and show a sincere interest in their customers.

The convention areas were spectacular and very functional. I saw one unique thing that I've never seen at another convention. After breakfast, instead of throwing away the stuff that we didn't eat, the moved some of it (less perishable stuff) into the next convention room so it wouldn't go to waste.

This was easily one of the best hotels I've ever been in. I've only seen better service one time, and that was at an all-inclusive resort with butler service.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:46 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
Depending where your meetings are, the Manchester Grand Hyatt has really
awsome views. Another is the Hotel Del Coranado for that classic hotel feel. it's right on the beach as well.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

I honestly can't recommend the Manchester Grand Hyatt in the luxury hotel forum. Yes, it does have spectacular views as it sits on the downtown waterfront. And it is an easy walk to San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter. But it is a large conference hotel, adjacent to San Diego's convention center, with the indifferent service hotels tend to give who don't depend on repeat guests. We booked a night there last December, during Hyatt's Faster Free Night earn period. I am a Hyatt Diamond, so should get the best possible service and room. My room was tiny, with a small window. And service was inexcreble. We went home and slept in our own bed. There is a lengthy thread in the Hyatt forum with more information about the hotel.

The hotel might work well for the OP's conference nights. But I wouldn't chose it for the days past the conference.
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I just returned from a conference at the Grand Del Mar, and it's absolutely incredible. The rooms are fabulous. The views are breathtaking. The service is impeccable.

This was easily one of the best hotels I've ever been in. I've only seen better service one time, and that was at an all-inclusive resort with butler service.
Thank you for the excellent and detailed review. I think the Grand Del Mar is really shaping up to be one of the best resorts in the country, maybe even the world. It really hits a homerun in all aspects of a world-class hotel. And it really is a gorgeous property.

Originally Posted by DWP
Depending where your meetings are, the Manchester Grand Hyatt has really
awsome views. Another is the Hotel Del Coranado for that classic hotel feel. it's right on the beach as well.
I don't think any of those are luxury hotels in my opinion. They're beautiful hotels (especially the Hotel Del Coronado), but lack the amenities and service of a true 5 or even 4-star hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.