Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Rc to stay at in Manhattan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Which Rc to stay at in Manhattan?

I am tempted with their Central Park location, but I wonder if it's not the old Helmsley Park hotel?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
The old St. Moritz was 450+ rooms. Ritz, along with the owner, shut it down and completely overhauled it into what is a (IIRC) a 277 room hotel.

It's a superb 5* hotel and the best in the city in many persons' opinion and in the top tier with the MO, FS, Trump, St Regis, and Pen in anyone's opinoin.

The Battery Park property is a noticeable step down in all ways, most notably location and service; though it holds a strong position in the second tier.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The renovation at the RC Central Park is wonderful and reminded me of the "feel" of the rooms at the FS George V. If you can afford a Park View room, the view is stunning.

RC Battery Park is quite the value leader in New York... The rooms are large and comfortable (with great beds) with interesting views (both the city view rooms and the harbor view rooms), but the property does not have the luxury "style points" of the Central Park property. It's only a 15 minute express subway ride to midtown from Battery Park (and a very short walk to the station).
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:11 pm

Ritz Central Park versus Battery

I agree with everyone that R-C Central park is in a different league from Battery, but then it is aimed at a different market. Battery is for the financial high flyers who prop up the bar every evening, whereas Central Park is more discreet and stylish. They have a lovely club lounge, too.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Both of the RC's are nice, but the RC Central Park is by far the nicest in terms of location, service and facilities. The lobby lounge is a great place to hang out and get a bite to eat, all of the facilities are top notch. As a sidebar, I stayed in the same location when it was a St Moritz in the mid-90s and it would be hard to recognize the place since its top to bottom renovation.

As I recall, they have a Bentley that can take you around town.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
IMO there is really no call. Centeral Park. Great location and where the Star Bar is located. That way you'll have an opprotunity to visit with Norman. THE New York bartender and a treat.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:15 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
IMO there is really no call. Centeral Park. Great location and where the Star Bar is located. That way you'll have an opprotunity to visit with Norman. THE New York bartender and a treat.
Is Norman the same barman who was there before RC took over?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by BLG
Is Norman the same barman who was there before RC took over?
IIRC...Norman was at the old Ritz Carlton when it closed and then re-opened the new one when it came online in 2002.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:54 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
IIRC...Norman was at the old Ritz Carlton when it closed and then re-opened the new one when it came online in 2002.
He's a bit of an institution. I was thinking that he went back to the St. Moritz days in the 90s. My memory is sort of fuzzy on that...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
One more

I agree - having been to both, stay at Central Park, but if you can, take a trip to BP for a drink at the bar - Rise, after dark. The views of the harbor can be as breath taking as in Sydney on a clear night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.