Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's the best Hotel you've ever been to?

Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I've not done many - only some really posh ones in Manchester/London - nothing that good.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:04 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Twelve Apostles in Cape Town, South Africa.

Outstanding personalized service.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by gtc55
I've not done many - only some really posh ones in Manchester/London - nothing that good.
Nothing to do with 'Hotel Deals' really is it!! - why don't you post this in a more suitable Forum such as Luxury Hotels?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Sorry Gallagher - you're right - I'll post it there

Thanks

Gareth
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The new home of this thread is now the Luxury Hotels forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by gtc55
With the greatest of respect, and not to discourage you from posting to this or any other forum on the board - try running a search on your broad topic, which will give you some general (and likely more useful) information !
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by lmk

Wonderful property - can't decide if I think it's "the best", though!
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:02 am

Home sweet Home

Where I get upgraded to the master suite every time, there is no checkin line and there hasn't been any staff turnover since the first time I checked in
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:11 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by MacDaddie
Where I get upgraded to the master suite every time, there is no checkin line and there hasn't been any staff turnover since the first time I checked in
but do you get points and/or miles??
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The best hotel that I have stayed at is, without doubt, the Four Seasons George V in Paris.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lmk

I did not actually enjoy the Twelve Apostles - I found service to be indifferent and slow, not at all what I would have expected from such an expensive hotel.

Sticking with SA, I really enjoyed the service and accomodation at http://www.metropolehotel.co.za/

However the one that REALLY sticks in my mind is http://www.whatleymanor.co.uk/
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:37 pm

Whatley Manor

Originally Posted by pdsuk
I did not actually enjoy the Twelve Apostles - I found service to be indifferent and slow, not at all what I would have expected from such an expensive hotel.

Sticking with SA, I really enjoyed the service and accomodation at http://www.metropolehotel.co.za/

However the one that REALLY sticks in my mind is http://www.whatleymanor.co.uk/
How nice to hear you enjoyed Whatley Manor. I agree that it is a superb little country house hotel with truly great food. Not sure it is the best hotel in the world, though. My list would be extensive - Amanbagh, Amanjena, Four Seasons George V Paris, Four Seasons Langkawi, Amanpulo.....and so on and so on
Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:05 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
How nice to hear you enjoyed Whatley Manor. I agree that it is a superb little country house hotel with truly great food. Not sure it is the best hotel in the world, though.
Interesting. We are generally in England a couple of times a year and are always looking for new places to go for a few days. Whatley Manor has been on our To-Do list for a while. I'm going to look into booking a few days in early October. Thanks for reminding me!
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:57 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
1. Hotel Monasterio, Cuzco, Peru: a former monastery now operated as a hotel by the Orient Express group. Wonderfully charming, personalised service, handsome luxurious rooms in one of the most lovely cities in the world. A coca pisco in the hotel bar is just the tonic for altitude sickness.
2. Alvear Palace, Buenos Aires, Argentina: how a five-star hotel is meant to be. Sumptuous interiors, service which anticipates a guest's every need and a hard-to-beat location slap in the middle of BA's smart Recoleta neighbourhood. I declined the offer to have my luggage unpacked by a butler - it seemed the decent thing to do given that it contained soiled clothing from a week's trekking. The hotel is such an institution that you'll find the city's grandees taking tea here.
3. Hotel Victoria, Glion sur Montreux, Switzerland: Built in 1869 with stunning views over Lake Geneva. Fabulous on-site restaurant. Take the early mountain train up to the peak of Rochers du Naye and then head down to Montreux for a lakeside promenade late afternoon.
4. Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong: prior to the refurbishment this would've had my # 1 slot. The rooms and suites have lost their original charm - like being aboard 1950s-styled Royal Yacht Britannia - as well as their most distinctive feature, the balconies. The MOHK remains a legend though.
5. Hotel Explora, Patagonia, Chile: Set in the middle of one of the most beautiful locations on this earth, the Torres del Paine national park. Sublime.
6. The Mansion on O Street, Washington D.C., USA: 19th Century salon society meets The Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice in Wonderland. Quite a surreal experience.
7. Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa: Book one of the garden cottages for an unforgettable stay and laze by the adults only pool in the shadow of Table Mountain. The Planet Champagne Bar draws in the city's beautiful people.
8. Camino Real Club and Suites, Mexico City, Mexico: A real design gem, very much in the style of Brasilia or the UN building in New York. The traffic and smog of the city seems like a world away in here.
9. Schlosshotel im Grunewald, Berlin, Germany: Stunning former palace in Berlin's smartest suburb and just 15 mins cab ride from Tegel airport. Complimentary champagne with breakfast, elegant bar and cigar room, beautiful grand dining room. There's an indoor pool and spa too. If the pressures of life are getting too much for you, lock yourself away here for a couple of nights and emerge pampered and restored.
10. Pera Palas, Istanbul, Turkey: built by the Orient Express railway company in 1892 and often frequented by Agatha Christie. It's now owned by the Turkish state and on my last visit was additionally charming for its faded grandeur. Lovely touches like a bell hop who presses floor buttons in the lift. At time of writing, closed for refurbishment until late 2009 - let's hope it retains its character.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:03 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
1. Hotel Monasterio, Cuzco, Peru: a former monastery now operated as a hotel by the Orient Express group. Wonderfully charming, personalised service, handsome luxurious rooms in one of the most lovely cities in the world. A coca pisco in the hotel bar is just the tonic for altitude sickness.
2. Alvear Palace, Buenos Aires, Argentina: how a five-star hotel is meant to be. Sumptuous interiors, service which anticipates a guest's every need and a hard-to-beat location slap in the middle of BA's smart Recoleta neighbourhood. I declined the offer to have my luggage unpacked by a butler - it seemed the decent thing to do given that it contained soiled clothing from a week's trekking. The hotel is such an institution that you'll find the city's grandees taking tea here.
3. Hotel Victoria, Glion sur Montreux, Switzerland: Built in 1869 with stunning views over Lake Geneva. Fabulous on-site restaurant. Take the early mountain train up to the peak of Rochers du Naye and then head down to Montreux for a lakeside promenade late afternoon.
4. Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong: prior to the refurbishment this would've had my # 1 slot. The rooms and suites have lost their original charm - like being aboard 1950s-styled Royal Yacht Britannia - as well as their most distinctive feature, the balconies. The MOHK remains a legend though.
5. Hotel Explora, Patagonia, Chile: Set in the middle of one of the most beautiful locations on this earth, the Torres del Paine national park. Sublime.
6. The Mansion on O Street, Washington D.C., USA: 19th Century salon society meets The Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice in Wonderland. Quite a surreal experience.
7. Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa: Book one of the garden cottages for an unforgettable stay and laze by the adults only pool in the shadow of Table Mountain. The Planet Champagne Bar draws in the city's beautiful people.
8. Camino Real Club and Suites, Mexico City, Mexico: A real design gem, very much in the style of Brasilia or the UN building in New York. The traffic and smog of the city seems like a world away in here.
9. Schlosshotel im Grunewald, Berlin, Germany: Stunning former palace in Berlin's smartest suburb and just 15 mins cab ride from Tegel airport. Complimentary champagne with breakfast, elegant bar and cigar room, beautiful grand dining room. There's an indoor pool and spa too. If the pressures of life are getting too much for you, lock yourself away here for a couple of nights and emerge pampered and restored.
10. Pera Palas, Istanbul, Turkey: built by the Orient Express railway company in 1892 and often frequented by Agatha Christie. It's now owned by the Turkish state and on my last visit was additionally charming for its faded grandeur. Lovely touches like a bell hop who presses floor buttons in the lift. At time of writing, closed for refurbishment until late 2009 - let's hope it retains its character.
A fine list! It' nice to see someone naming a lot of interesting places that aren't the usual suspects! The Explora may well have the most spectacular views of any hotel on earth. And it is truly unique! The Alvear Palace is also one of the world's great hotels. I haven't been to the Camino Real, but I've heard it's fantastic. I do think that properties in the Americas tend to get under appreciated on this forum.

Last edited by BLG; Jul 20, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.