Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels/Resorts that allow Smoking

Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I did a search but didn't find anything all that recent or comprehensive. What luxury hotels/resorts still have smoking rooms? We are trying to plan a family vacation (preferable a beachy type thing) and sorting and sifting is getting difficult. We're thinking US or Caribbean. Is there some single source document or book I can buy? I know this is a touchy topic, but there have to be options for smokers who want to smoke in their rooms. I figured if anyone would have this info it would be here. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:14 pm

A few that I think still do (but please check):

The Lowell Hotel, New York

Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, Lenox, Massachusetts

Fairmont San Jose

Maybe some Hyatts also...??
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:06 am

Smoking rooms

Amanresorts always allow smoking because Adrian Zecha smokes cigars. Try Amanyara, Turks & Caicos.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:05 pm
In memoriam

I smoke - and travel a fair amount - so I guess I have some insight into this.

Not only do different chains have different rules - but their rules aren't the same in different countries - or sometimes even the same country (which is usually the United States). In general - you will find more stringent smoking rules in the US than about anywhere else in the world. For example - you can't smoke in your room in any Marriott property (including Ritz Carltons) anywhere in North America - but it is perfectly ok at many Marriott properties in other countries (like the Ritz Carlton in Berlin - where we stayed last year).

Even at our local Ritz Carlton (Amelia Island FL) - you're not allowed to smoke in your room - but you can smoke on your balcony (which seems kind of stupid to me - since smoke from your balcony is more likely to bother a non-smoker on the balcony above you than smoking in your room on a smoking floor - particularly if you're smoking a cigar). Since you are considering a "beach type" vacation - which I assume will be in warm weather - check on the rules both in the rooms and on the balconies in hotels with balconies.

Like Marriott - Starwood is non-smoking in the United States - but smoking is ok elsewhere (like the Westin in Paris).

Most Four Seasons allow smoking - even in the United States. In Florida - for a Four Seasons with a beach - you're talking about the one in Palm Beach. But there are exceptions. Like in Scottsdale Arizona (definitely no beach ) - no smoking is allowed in the room - but it's ok on the balcony.

Most Peninsula hotels in the United States that I'm familiar with allow smoking.

Most Hiltons - even in the United States - allow smoking. But a few don't. When Marriott adopted its non-smoking rules - I changed my default for non-luxury stays from Marriott to Hilton.

Since I live in Florida - and have plenty of beach access - the Caribbean isn't a place I visit. But most of the major chains - luxury or not - which have non-smoking rules apply their non-smoking rules to all properties in North American (which includes the Caribbean).

I usually don't have many problems finding a luxury hotel in a place which has luxury hotels where I can smoke. But I think the reason there is no comprehensive guide is that the rules even within companies aren't very standardized - or intelligent for that matter. It is always best to call the property directly - and talk to someone in charge to find out what the real rules are. For example - when I called the Trump in Chicago - they said the first time they would charge $250 if I smoked as a "clean-up" fee. Second time I called - they said the hotel was 100% non-smoking and the $250 was a penalty. There's a big difference. In the former case - I would be within my rights smoking. In the latter - if another guest complained - I would be violating the hotel smoking policy.

As a general proposition though - I'd say in the United States - Ritz Carlton doesn't allow smoking - and Four Seasons does.

Bottom line - figure out where you want to go - and then find a hotel which suits your preferences. And call the hotel directly and make sure you know what the exact policy is.

Note that I don't think this is a "touchy topic". It's a question of dollars and cents and business and the personal preferences of hotel guests. I realize there are a lot of people who don't like smoking - but I don't like people who try to do 5 in a single room (2 adults with 3 young kids who make a lot of noise early in the morning) - or people who bring/smuggle their yapping dogs into hotels - and leave their smells and bugs all over the place. What would a non-smoker rather endure? A whiff of smoke - or bedbugs or flea bites when you leave your hotel? I don't like being squeezed between 2 300 pounders on a plane either. A lot of hotels played it "high and mighty" during the boom years when occupancy levels weren't a problem. Now that the norm in the United States may be a "staycation" rather than a "vacation" - I will see what they do. And if they'd rather allow 6 to a room instead of having a couple of smoking floors - that is their prerogative and their problem. I will give my business to the places that value me as a customer - even if I smoke. A hotel or hotel chain is free to do whatever it wants - but I am also free to spend my money where I want.

Note that I live in a metro area where 1/3 of all adults smoke. In many areas of the world where I have been to the last couple of years - the percentage is even higher. Robyn
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:55 am

+1.

I can only copy that. I've been non-smoker,heavy smoker, non smoker again (7 years) and I'm now occasional smoker.
People should relax a bit regarding this, I mean, living in a town, you'll probably endure more pollution from the air you breathe than from your smoking neighboor (a typical day in Milan accounts for 20 cigarettes...), which makes such smoking bans pathetic (in Bangkok even more so). Hence the health argument is a rather thin one, unless you climb the himalaya.
I also agree on this puny Pooch friendly hotels etc. Come on, everybody has the right to have a dog and to enjoy it, but this barking piece of junk has nothing to do in a hotel room or in a spa.
It is also a nuisance to have dirty people, loud people, heck, even fat or ugly ones around you. Yet no one complains...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:58 am

Pc

It is not politically correct to complain about noisy fat people, whereas it is perfectly acceptable to rant about smokers.
It is interesting that the people you meet outside hotels - in front of the entrance, outside the restaurant etc., seem to be the most interesting, whereas the toxic coke-guzzling masses who are allowed to feel superior, tend towards utter banality. Just a thought.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by robyng
Bottom line - figure out where you want to go - and then find a hotel which suits your preferences. And call the hotel directly and make sure you know what the exact policy is.
Four Seasons and the Hilton brands are the most smoker friendly properties.^

I have been to all of the FS Mexico/Carribean/Costa Rica properties and they are smoker friendly. Plenty of ashtrays and a nice selection of Cuban cigars!
But alas smokers are the minority with about 25% of the population in the US. We are outnumbered by the obese. To the OP:
Your travel agent can also investiagte for you, and if need one.... I'll give a plug for our own DavidO. I've started using his service. His attention to detail, follow up, and efforts are nothing short of stellar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.