Search

Good content for a luxury travel newsletter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:55 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by AHarper
Hello,

I am Andrew Harper, the Editor-in-Chief of Hideaway Report. I am writing in response to the post by "vuittonsofstyle" on June 17th.

Andrew Harper's real name is not Richard Atkinson. I should know!

Flyer Talk participants may also be interested to learn that "vuittonsofstyle" is not exactly an impartial observer when it comes to discussing Gallivanter's Guide.

For the record, Andrew Harper does travel incognito and always pays his own way, to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars a year in travel expenses. We do, however, have a consistent problem with people trying to pass themselves off as Andrew Harper and hoping to obtain free accommodation or preferential treatment as a result.

Regards,

Andrew Harper
Welcome to the forum Mr. Harper! As you may have noticed in my previous posts, I subscribe to your services and find them quite helpful. And I congratulate you on the improvements you've made to your own site and to your own forum.

In any event, I'm sure that your comments on this forum would always be appreciated. Nice to have you join in.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Flyer Talk participants may also be interested to learn that "vuittonsofstyle" is not exactly an impartial observer when it comes to discussing Gallivanter's Guide.
Welcome Andrew.

I'd be interested in having a further understanding of the alleged impartiality. To be fair to vuitton...without any substantiation, it should probably be edited out of the post (and my post for that matter!).

Last edited by DrivingRain; Jul 25, 2008 at 12:42 pm Reason: added last sentence
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Hello,

I am Andrew Harper, the Editor-in-Chief of Hideaway Report. I am writing in response to the post by "vuittonsofstyle" on June 17th.

For the record, Andrew Harper does travel incognito and always pays his own way, to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars a year in travel expenses. We do, however, have a consistent problem with people trying to pass themselves off as Andrew Harper and hoping to obtain free accommodation or preferential treatment as a result.

Regards,

Andrew Harper
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Luxury Hotels Forum, AHarper
Look forward to your continuing participation in this Forum and elsewhere on Flyertalk.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:28 pm

Hello,

Regards,

Andrew Harper
Welcome Andrew.

having re-read a number of vuittonsofstyle posts, he/she definitely prefers GG over Harpers. If vuittonsofstyle is ms.middlehurst or mr.maslin, their contribution and regular updates on amanresorts is most welcome.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

personally, i find all the discussions here very informative. ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...formation.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 2, 2009 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Certainly including your comments, which are consistently helpful -- so what luxury hotel periodical do you write?

Incidentally, I am secretly Karl Baedeker!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pauldublin
Welcome Andrew.

having re-read a number of vuittonsofstyle posts, he/she definitely prefers GG over Harpers. If vuittonsofstyle is ms.middlehurst or mr.maslin, their contribution and regular updates on amanresorts is most welcome.
I agree. Whether or not vuittonsofstyle is affiliated with Gallivanter's Guide, his/her contributions to this forum have been very informative and valuable, indeed.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:43 am

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
I agree. Whether or not vuittonsofstyle is affiliated with Gallivanter's Guide, his/her contributions to this forum have been very informative and valuable, indeed.
Very flattered to be involved in this latest conspiracy theory, but isn't your identity meant to be protected here? Yours, Paul Theroux, AA Gill, Ms Middlehurst, Richard Story, Adrian Zecha, Isidore Sharp....
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Frankly, I find this the best of the forums I peruse on FT - good questions, knowledgeable posters and though people often have strong views, rarely, if ever lacking in civility.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Very flattered to be involved in this latest conspiracy theory, but isn't your identity meant to be protected here? Yours, Paul Theroux, AA Gill, Ms Middlehurst, Richard Story, Adrian Zecha, Isidore Sharp....
Actually your contribution to this forum and style of writing is most enjoyable and in fact is now good for your publication.
If only I could figure out who Kagehitokiri really is.....
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles

focussed on the villa rental market ...
Does such a publication, blog or forum exist yet - I'm looking for somewhere nice in Europe for 6 people and a toddler for next summer but apart from the odd mention on here I can't see there is anywhere to get impartial advice and reviews.

I don't know if this board could maybe could encompass such advice and reviews.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Does such a publication, blog or forum exist yet - I'm looking for somewhere nice in Europe for 6 people and a toddler for next summer but apart from the odd mention on here I can't see there is anywhere to get impartial advice and reviews.

I don't know if this board could maybe could encompass such advice and reviews.
I don't know of any publication - but I see a lot of ads in Harvard Magazine for villas and the like. Don't know if the ads on line are the same as those in the print edition (but there seem to be fewer on line than in the print edition). And you'd probably still have to do your "due diligence". If you send me a DM with your email address (don't think I have it) - I'd be glad to scan the classifieds from the next issue I get and email them to you.

And to get back to the original thread subject - I would very much like to see content that's oriented to getting the most bang for your buck in terms of luxury travel. Whether it's FF programs that can most easily get you into the front of the plane - hotels that offer various specials (for example - stay X nights - get 1 free)/specials for suites - restaurants that offer good value (this would mostly be lunches instead of dinners) - the best times of year to go to various places when the weather is ok but it's not peak season with peak season rates. I'm not a billionaire - or a travel agent - or a celebrity speaker who can demand that my tour sponsors pay for the Presidential Suite wherever I travel .

And - although I can afford to spend $2k a night on a hotel room - I don't care to. And my husband cares to even less. He is honestly impressed with my 2 "free" FC tickets to Singapore - and our rates at the Four Seasons Singapore. But gagged at what we spent on a nice but nothing special room at the George V/FS Paris a few years back (especially because he remembers staying there for $300/night).

I am pretty certain we used to have a thread here about deals in luxury hotels. Haven't see it for a while. Perhaps it's time we started another one. If anyone's interested - I'll get it rolling.

And - to go back to something else in this thread - I used to subscribe to the Hideaway Report like ages and ages ago. It was an important publication in pre-internet days. And I used it extensively. Some misses - but a lot of hits. Ranging from the Point in New York (under the original owners) to Gidleigh Park (again under the original owners). Andrew Harper was a writer/traveler who "discovered" a lot of places for his subscribers IMO - and let us know about them at a time when there was basically no other way we'd find out about them (unless we had amazingly astute and well-traveled agents who were always beating the bushes). If I had to fault Andrew Harper in any regard - it would be that he usually recommended certain rooms/suites. But usually didn't emphasize just how much your room might vary from his favorite (usually top of the line) rooms. Which is how we wound up in a monk's cell at Villa San Michele in Fiesole .

Still - in the internet age of today - where it seems like everyone has access to information about everything - I think that subscription services like this might be obsolete. Especially "high priced spread ones". OTOH - I don't recall ever spending more than $100/year on the Hideaway Report. And you can now get some Andrew Harper content for free on his website (didn't know that):

https://www.andrewharper.com/

The best compliment I can give Andrew Harper is that many of the same places he guided us to in the 70's and 80's are still around and are still places people discuss here and want to go to now. They may be better/worse/different than back then. But they're still on peoples' radar screens. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Aug 20, 2014 at 3:37 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:51 pm

Thanks Robyn - it's more some sort of reviews I'd like to see - I know maybe Tripadvisor has reviews of individual properties but it's somewhere to find them all together. Sometimes our newspapers here have such articles on villas but one doesn't know how they do their research.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by robyng

I am pretty certain we used to have a thread here about deals in luxury hotels. Haven't see it for a while. Perhaps it's time we started another one. If anyone's interested - I'll get it rolling.
It's still active here.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:29 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
It's still active here.
Thanks. Seems like my "subscription" to the thread was dropped a while back (no idea why). And I just "re-subscribed". Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.