Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman-junkies Rejoice: Reconstruction of Hotel Bora Bora

Aman-junkies Rejoice: Reconstruction of Hotel Bora Bora

Old May 18, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Whatever the issue, hopefully they get it figured out. I didnt get to experience the place before it closed, and it is on my must stay list. For some reason I am finding it difficult to get excited about the St. Regis Bora Bora or the FS. When we were in Amanusa a year ago the GM (Monty Brewer???) was on his way to Bora Bora. That gave me some hope the project would actually make progress.
Monty Brown. He was at Hotel Bora Bora for around 27 years, starting there as a barman and ending up as GM under Aman. Happily, Aman is totally uncompromising, so if there is a delay, it is invariably for a good reason. And yes, it is not a dirt road behind the resort - it is concreted.

Potentially, this is a wondrous place, but it needs stacks of money spent. Keeping everything crossed.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
So basically, I shouldn't be holding my breath?
Old May 18, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by damaxer91
So basically, I shouldn't be holding my breath?
No. I'm told there are issues related to the ownership of the land also. The road thing is new to me. I'd be very surprised if HBB ever reopens. I don't think it can break even under the silly French labor laws. I remember Lionel Alvarez, the GM during our first stay, complaining for hours about how hard it was to staff.

I'd rather they just left it like it was and kept it open. Even with the cramped out-of-date rooms, bugs raining down from the ceiling, and road noise, HBB is still the most memorable place I have ever stayed. This was my first Aman.

They were building the FS during our last and final stay. We kayaked around the construction. What we saw of the FS comes nowhere close to to matching HBB before the (now dead) remodel.
Old May 19, 2012, 4:57 am

I think most people would rather go to the St. Regis, tbh.

A lot has happened in Polynesia since this hotel was last open. It is not anywhere near being a benchmark, even after renovations.

And the name of the property irks me; I hope they rename it Amanbora, to incorporate the Aman naming philosophy.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Har, har! Maybe some Starwood-Point-Burners...

A lot has happened in Polynesia since this hotel was last open. It is not anywhere near being a benchmark, even after renovations.
Since Aman did not even start renovations yet - how do you know...?
Old May 20, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
The latest information that I have is that the renovation is on indefinite hold.
Cavtat construction has also been halted AFAIK
Old May 20, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GK1998
The latest information that I have is that the renovation is on indefinite hold.
Cavtat construction has also been halted AFAIK
Right. Last I spoke to Aman reservations and asked, they said unknown and TBD. Didn't sound good.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:28 am

And the name of the property irks me; I hope they rename it Amanbora, to incorporate the Aman naming philosophy.
No, most people would not rather go to the St Regis...
Old May 21, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Why not? What makes Aman so posh and elegant, that true Amanjunkie would despise St. Regis?
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Old May 21, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Reports I have heard from the St. Regis were that service levels were not up to par
Old May 21, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

I had assumed the A380 flyer post was a joke. It is serious?
Old May 22, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
i was in bora bora last month staying at the Intercontinental Thalasso
the road that runs by the property is indeed a good quality concrete road rather than a dirt track.
we sailed the island by boat and stopped right outside the hotel. the water and position of bungalows is beautiful. a few were obviously in bad shape and one or two were completely missing from there positions.
Matira beach that sweeps from Hotel Bora to IC Moana is lovely.
i doubt I will ever be back to Bora Bora as its the other side of the world for me ( Ireland ) but it would be a shame for such an iconic hotel never to reopen.
i can imagine the labour costs , running costs make it hard to be viable.
To compare the IC Thalasso utilizes deep-sea water that conserves 90% of its electrical consumption
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:57 pm

Any news or updates on Hotel Bora Bora from Aman?

Are there any remnants of Old Polynesia left or any South Seas destinations from post-WWII era to travel to that have not been overdeveloped and transformed into overpopulated tourist centers and brand resorts?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OliverB
Are there any remnants of Old Polynesia left or any South Seas destinations from post-WWII era to travel to that have not been overdeveloped and transformed into overpopulated tourist centers and brand resorts?
There are plenty, but you'll need a yacht. Some of the Marquesas, the Tuamotus and the Gambiers, you can reach by air (from Tahiti), but are nevertheless quite authentic.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 13, 2014 at 5:43 am Reason: Delete argumentative portions
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
I am interested to know what people think of Hotel Bora Bora position within the island.

Myself I found it a bit annoying as there was constantly lot of boats passing by and that, in my opinion, spoils the privacy/remote feeling.

I did find much more interesting the position of St. Regis and Four Season.

I believe it was a great position to be when back in years the island was less touristic, right now not so sure...I am interested to see what other people think.

At the end, an hotel is certainly about service and consistency...but location counts as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.