Luxury hotels in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

grumbler, have you stayed at the haymarket?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
grumbler, have you stayed at the haymarket?
This is a good question, and the answer is no. I have the chance to try it on an upcoming trip. Is it that different from the Soho, Charlotte Street and Covent Garden hotels that it will it change my mind ? I find the "chain" consistent enough in terms of approach that I wouldn't have thought so - but I am keen to be persuaded otherwise, because they are pretty fun places to stay.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TMOTEE recommended it >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....8&postcount=30

interesting magazine review >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....9&postcount=11

will be interesting to see how it is compared to One Aldwych by others here.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 19, 2008 at 3:42 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
TMOTEE recommends it >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....8&postcount=30

interesting magazine review >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....9&postcount=11

will be interesting to see how it is compared to One Aldwych by others here.
Interesting. Might try it. My alternative to One Aldwych has generally been Brown's, but that's largely because the Mayfair location is close to where I have to do business.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by listener
I love the Dorchester, the lanesbourgh can be great but also has the odd bad room....
...and I got that odd bad room the two times I stayed there, so I stopped staying there! While everyone expects rooms to vary within a hotel, should a really great hotel have ANY bad rooms?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
...and I got that odd bad room the two times I stayed there, so I stopped staying there! While everyone expects rooms to vary within a hotel, should a really great hotel have ANY bad rooms?
My experience in the grand dame hotels is that you really have to book a fairly high category room to avoid this problem - and I agree with you, really great hotels should not have rooms that have significant variances in quality.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by grumbler
This is a good question, and the answer is no. I have the chance to try it on an upcoming trip. Is it that different from the Soho, Charlotte Street and Covent Garden hotels that it will it change my mind ? I find the "chain" consistent enough in terms of approach that I wouldn't have thought so - but I am keen to be persuaded otherwise, because they are pretty fun places to stay.
No. And it has a problem in that the bar and restaurant are very heavily used by non-residents because of its position directly on Haymarket. I was in the bar before Christmas and it was heavily packed - you were lucky to find standing room yet alone a seat.

The pool is astounding but, again, they have a habit of renting it out for corporate functions and private parties so there is a chance it won't be available for guests. I have been to one party there and been in the hotel when another was going on.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
No. And it has a problem in that the bar and restaurant are very heavily used by non-residents because of its position directly on Haymarket. I was in the bar before Christmas and it was heavily packed - you were lucky to find standing room yet alone a seat.

The pool is astounding but, again, they have a habit of renting it out for corporate functions and private parties so there is a chance it won't be available for guests. I have been to one party there and been in the hotel when another was going on.
Drives me crazy as a paying guest to jockey for a place at my hotel's bar or restaurant. On a recent stay at the MO NY, I was pleased to see that the hotel routinely sets aside very good tables at the lobby bar for guests only.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:07 pm

OK, small convention - corporate business. I think that Firmdale feel they need to be in that market. I think they are wrong. It's like Aman thinking they need to build banqueting rooms!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
OK, small convention - corporate business. I think that Firmdale feel they need to be in that market. I think they are wrong. It's like Aman thinking they need to build banqueting rooms!
It's a hotel in a large city, where there is a need for these facilities - and the Firmdale hotels are currently hot, so you can understand why they would be a destination for even small scale events or meetings.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:50 am

It's a hotel in a large city, where there is a need for these facilities - and the Firmdale hotels are currently hot, so you can understand why they would be a destination for even small scale events or meetings.
Sure, but as an individual guest, this would tend to make me avoid Haymarket, especially when I can stay at Firmdale's Soho, Charlotte St or Covent Garden hotels. Also, the location of Haymarket is very poor as this area is quite run down and full of tourists.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:04 pm

Sure, but as an individual guest, this would tend to make me avoid Haymarket, especially when I can stay at Firmdale's Soho, Charlotte St or Covent Garden hotels. Also, the location of Haymarket is very poor as this area is quite run down and full of tourists.
You find Soho (and Covent Garden) more peaceful, less tourist crammed and not as run down ?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:32 am

You find Soho (and Covent Garden) more peaceful, less tourist crammed and not as run down ?
I do! Soho has a certain 'pink' charm to it, and great restaurants. Charlotte Street and Covent Garden are more about theatre, galleries, restaurants, whereas Haymarket is brutal, with endless tourist buses and crowds of people.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
I've become a devoted Mandarian Oriental London client. It certainly cant compare with the best in New York, Hong Kong, etc., but it has a unique combination of old-world charm & modernity that has become addictive in my relatively infrequent trips to London.

All this being said...
MO London is sold out late next week during my next visit, so I need an alternative. I'd like to try something more modern this time around. One Aldwych seems the likely choice. Does anyone have another suggestion, even if it teeters on the edge of being a luxuty hotel as we regualrs have come to define it in this forum?

I'm thinking maybe the FS Canary Wharf (which is a lux hotel) as I can get in at 175GBP over the weekend portion of the trip....
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:23 pm

I do! Soho has a certain 'pink' charm to it, and great restaurants. Charlotte Street and Covent Garden are more about theatre, galleries, restaurants, whereas Haymarket is brutal, with endless tourist buses and crowds of people.
You are more charitable than me - I find all of those locations heaving with tourists.

Driving Rain - if you are unsure about One Aldwych, my backup (as I have stated somewhere above) is Brown's - which also has that combination of old and new. Or (though I haven't yet stayed there) Duke's in St. James's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.