Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Serious question: What makes a "luxury" hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious question: What makes a "luxury" hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:36 pm

I am glad I chose this thread to read. Thank you ctuttle for taking the time to contribute a wonderful post.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

considering this has come up more broadly in some other recent threads, perhaps time for another bump

http://www.fa-mag.com/component/cont...xperience.html

first story reminds me of 2nd article here >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12637116-post39.html

also speaking of hotels reviewing online reviews, see some of my more recent posts incl stories of hotels responding in real life to twitter reports
Old May 20, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
This is a really interesting thread and something I've wondered about quite a bit.

A few weeks ago, I wrote the following at the conclusion of a review of the Four Seasons in Prague.
The mark of a true luxury hotel is not simply having luxurious surroundings. Rather, true luxury comes from something far more subtle, something that goes beyond material goods and manifests itself in a kind of feeling that is hard to describe but easy to recognize, a kind of effortless luxury that blends in with the surroundings and does not feel forced.
For those interested, the review is online here.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
It has happened to me a few times - hotels have googled me to find out about my preferences, which is a pretty impressive thing to do.

Anyone else?

Yes, this has happened to me by one high-end chain, in particular. I have had some very nice veggie gifts as a result ...and have had a signed menu delivered by a rather well-known chef along with crudites.

Luxury hotels to me are really about service. They are about anticipating needs, rather than reacting to requests - the concierge surprising you with a table not just at the restaurant you wish to dine at, but at the preferred table in the wine cellar with a gift bottle of champagne from the hotel/concierge. It's not batting an eye when they think you've requested eight wastepaper baskets (actually had this misunderstanding once and they happily brought me eight, which I found amusing). It's leaving things where you've placed them (yes, I do want the wastepaper basket in a particular area and not moved back every day). It's seeing evidence housekeeping was there, but never actually seeing or hearing housekeeping or their carts in the halls. It's the club lounge attendant making sure there will be things I can eat there every night. It's the gym attendant bringing me, unrequested, a wet towel and fresh bottle of water in the middle of my workout. It's the hotel driver picking up on small clues, like a comment that you're starving, and having a room service menu available and offering to place an order for you so it's ready when you arrive at the hotel. Luxury hotels to me are far less defined by their furnishings and much more by their attentiveness and ability to anticipate needs.
Old May 21, 2010, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
Luxury is inevitably an individual perception.

The collective perception of FT's Luxury finds common ground in service - and I think that's a good starting point.

Personally, I am inspired by ctuttle, obscure2k and jspira who prefer the "non-corporate" style of service.

I want to compare the Four Seasons' corporate style with the Louis Vuitton brand (nothing against vuittonsofstyle here): it is simply the easy choice for the consumer. You know exactly what you get, where to find it, and everybody will understand the statement. Luxury for beginners.

But when I look for new hotels, I like to be inspired by connoisseurs who are above and beyond Louis Vuitton and understand the history, complexity, individuality, sometimes drama of brands like (for example) Attolini, Caruso, Patrick Hellmann. It can be a pain to get a suit from these guys, but that IS luxury.

Translated to hotels this may be the Hacienda Benazuza, Schlosshotel Friedrichsruhe, Wilderness Safaris in Africa (as examples that are rarely discussed here).

I assume that because of FT's background in "collecting miles&points" there is still a certain overweight on easy-to-understand luxury chains here.

Of course, if I was a manager who needs to stay in 5 different hotels per week on business, I'd probably also state the Four Season's "home away from home" as my preferred form of luxury.

If I was a holiday maker once a year I also wouldn't take any risks and go for the safe luxury of One&Only.

But if I was a gallivanter I might find the Royal Livingstone a more luxurious experience than the Georges V. because of the differential in surroundings. Just like the Serena in Gisenyi, the Kempinski in Djibouti or the Hyatt in Dushanbe to name some of the "wrong" chain hotels.

In Kage's http://www.elitetraveler.com/busines...-%209.5.06.pdf there is another good distinction of three types of luxury travelers (in the U-HNWI range): Trendsetters, Winners, Connoisseurs.

The definition of a luxury hotel depends depends so much on the individual's travel style!

Now to reduce some common ground and reinforce my enmities :

Most important for me in luxury hotels is to see and meet interesting people, other guests with a distinct style, inspiring personality and a good story to tell. Simply those people who belong in there because they are made for it. That also has a lot to do with aesthetic style but not in the superficial way some people here want to understand it. Naturally, this gets some beating here. But guess from who?
Old May 21, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so FS is generic and terrible but aman is good. oh wait, FS tented camp. etc.

(these kinds of generalizations do not go anywhere. not even all aman are equal.)

one thing ive said before TrophyCollector, is that it could be argued that you are the one paying for "names" - trendsetter style.

especially when a historical property refuses to maintain physical plant or service, why should one pay high rates to stay there?

regardless of whether it is decent or not, if service (etc) is not as good as another local property, there is absolutely no reason one could not stay at the property with better service etc and visit the historical property.

a historical setting IS something one can pay for - lots of places have it and sell it without any quality because they know people are interested. just like mainstream name brands.

service is not something one can just pay for. one has to have the standards to recognize it, which one then demonstrates to command it. and if something goes wrong (for example at the best property in the area) one knows who would want to know about the lapse and reports it, not with recovery in mind, but simply because one knows the person cares, because thats what being the best property in the area is all about.

putting a different value on service is one thing, but suggesting service has nothing to do with luxury (in any industry) seems strange to me. even when purchasing something that requires no maintenance, the service is before/during the sale.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 2010 at 9:03 am
Old May 24, 2010, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so FS is generic and terrible but aman is good. oh wait, FS tented camp. etc.

(these kinds of generalizations do not go anywhere. not even all aman are equal.)

one thing ive said before TrophyCollector, is that it could be argued that you are the one paying for "names" - trendsetter style.

especially when a historical property refuses to maintain physical plant or service, why should one pay high rates to stay there?

regardless of whether it is decent or not, if service (etc) is not as good as another local property, there is absolutely no reason one could not stay at the property with better service etc and visit the historical property.

a historical setting IS something one can pay for - lots of places have it and sell it without any quality because they know people are interested. just like mainstream name brands.

service is not something one can just pay for. one has to have the standards to recognize it, which one then demonstrates to command it. and if something goes wrong (for example at the best property in the area) one knows who would want to know about the lapse and reports it, not with recovery in mind, but simply because one knows the person cares, because thats what being the best property in the area is all about.

putting a different value on service is one thing, but suggesting service has nothing to do with luxury (in any industry) seems strange to me. even when purchasing something that requires no maintenance, the service is before/during the sale.
I totally agree with you, Kage. Much as I love the historic aspects to various hotels, I become extremely upset when I cannot sleep in them, due to hard beds and foam/lumpy pillows. I also do not like arrogant service, which I have encountered quite frequently in some (although by no means all) independently owned Grande Dames and boutiques.

Take the south of France. Le Chateau du Domaine St Martin is a lovely property, but the pillows are so hard that they put my neck out last time I stayed. I may be a wimp, but I need a good night's sleep these days!
Old May 25, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Take the south of France. Le Chateau du Domaine St Martin is a lovely property, but the pillows are so hard that they put my neck out last time I stayed. I may be a wimp, but I need a good night's sleep these days!
That is so true. The most fundamental purpose and role of a hotel is to provide it's guest a good night sleep, and it's surprising how often this can often be overlooked. What bothers me most in this aspect are not the pillows but noise due to poor soundproofing, and usually cheap 4-star and pseudo 5-star hotels are the worse offenders. As a light sleeper, I simply loathe hotels that have such thin walls that everything going on next door can be heard loud and clear which kept me awake all night.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BENLEE
What bothers me most in this aspect are not the pillows but noise due to poor soundproofing, and usually cheap 4-star and pseudo 5-star hotels are the worse offenders. As a light sleeper, I simply loathe hotels that have such thin walls that everything going on next door can be heard loud and clear which kept me awake all night.
I'm convinced that many hotels overlook the amplification effect that is inadvertently derived from the entryway design whereby the entryway serves as an amplifier for sounds outside in the hallway.

A second door by the bedroom would resolve that easily, as would better design of the door and entryway.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
Old May 25, 2010, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
I'm convinced that many hotels overlook the amplification effect that is inadvertently derived from the entryway design whereby the entryway serves as an amplifier for sounds outside in the hallway.

A second door by the bedroom would resolve that easily, as would better design of the door and entryway.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
This is a very interesting point. A really, really good solution was found by Le Gray in Beirut. Every room and suite is set off the corridor, with an ample hallway that only accommodates two room-doors at most. I cannot remember a more thoughtful corridor design. It works extremely well as I slept very soundly indeed.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Well next time you're in town, do let me know
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very interesting re design from a soundproofing perspective jspira and vuittonsofstyle

BENLEE - have you found common denominators amongst properties youve found to be well sound proofed? (chain, location, etc)

a new "twist" i dont think has been discussed much in any of the "sources" threads..

just posted >
Lots of disinformation going on right now in Paris....
from earlier in this thread >
luxury was dead.

That word is now, he says, “a descriptor that is highly suspicious
from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013743/ >
theres a few common [disinformation protocol] keywords to listen for, reassuring words - words like stabilize, secure, safe - if they say these words, particularly with repetition, it means theyre going to kill you

in the luxury travel industry, what words have become the worst offenders along these lines - most often representing at least exaggeration if not outright fabrication?

conversely, are there words that are being used by luxury hotels/chains that effectively communicate quality/service/etc?

or to be less serious, as that is what prompted my question, and i would not say this is something of great import - have you experienced a particularly amusing example of such a word turning out to be less than accurate?

and perhaps a better serious question would be - when advertising/PR get carried away, how do true luxury properties handle "recovery"?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:59 am

very interesting re design from a soundproofing perspective jspira and vuittonsofstyle

BENLEE - have you found common denominators amongst properties youve found to be well sound proofed? (chain, location, etc)

a new "twist" i dont think has been discussed much in any of the "sources" threads..

just posted >

from earlier in this thread >

from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013743/ >

in the luxury travel industry, what words have become the worst offenders along these lines - most often representing at least exaggeration if not outright fabrication?

conversely, are there words that are being used by luxury hotels/chains that effectively communicate quality/service/etc?

or to be less serious, as that is what prompted my question, and i would not say this is something of great import - have you experienced a particularly amusing example of such a word turning out to be less than accurate?

[B]and perhaps a better serious question would be - when advertising/PR get carried away, how do true luxury properties handle "recovery"?[[/B
VERY amusing and very apt, Kage. In my experience, luxury properties handle recovery by panicking. Either that, or they sue you - bad idea.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Luxury hotels to me are really about service...

[A wonderful and lengthy description with great examples of luxury service.]
Serious question: Would you be able, perhaps, to give an example of a hotel IN THE US?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
Serious question: Would you be able, perhaps, to give an example of a hotel IN THE US?
not many >

FS hualalai
amangiri
twin farms
lowell NY

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.