best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Well in my case all the controversy has made me very keen to try the Upper House!

Even more so than the FS which I have also not experienced but which I feel, rightly or wrongly, will be a bit more generic - even if it is uber-luxe generic.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by moondog
It's rare to find a #1 TA hotel in any major city in which management isn't intimately familiar with how TA ratings work. I'm by no means alleging fraud of any sort. It's just that more famous properties often don't care about TA.
Right. The bottom line is never completely trust TA. Flyertalk is a vastly more reliable source.

But the fact that this thread is so long and with so many hotels talked about here, is a testament to the Hong Kong market. The hotels here are so great at just about every level.

A "new" hotel that I tried recently and will return to soon is the Park Lane. I say new because it recently joined Accor as a Pullman. It's more of a 4 star even though it has some 5 star features. But on a corporate rate it's only $1300 and I get Club with my Accor status, so a great deal. And it rises over Victoria Park and the harbor with great views. That's just one example of how even at a lesser chain like Pullman, you can have a really good example in Hong Kong.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:37 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The funny thing is that even though I loved the UH and would stay there again, I don't downplay the Pen, FS, MOs, RC, or IC. They all are amazing hotels in their own right. I find each to have its own strengths and weaknesses
I think that's nail on head.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Right. The bottom line is never completely trust TA. Flyertalk is a vastly more reliable source.

But the fact that this thread is so long and with so many hotels talked about here, is a testament to the Hong Kong market. The hotels here are so great at just about every level.

A "new" hotel that I tried recently and will return to soon is the Park Lane. I say new because it recently joined Accor as a Pullman. It's more of a 4 star even though it has some 5 star features. But on a corporate rate it's only $1300 and I get Club with my Accor status, so a great deal. And it rises over Victoria Park and the harbor with great views. That's just one example of how even at a lesser chain like Pullman, you can have a really good example in Hong Kong.
Thank you for the info on the pullman. What accord status guarantee club access ? Platinum ?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Thank you for the info on the pullman. What accord status guarantee club access ? Platinum ?
Platinum for sure works, not sure about gold. Check out the Accor Forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...corhotels-667/
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Platinum for sure works, not sure about gold. Check out the Accor Forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...corhotels-667/
Thank you for the info
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Having just been to the Upper House for our first time a year ago, I get what the fuss is about. It's the most Aman-like urban hotel of any urban hotel at which we've ever stayed (and that includes the Aman Summer Palace in Beijing!). It not only has amazing rooms and design, but it also has that tremendous service and also exudes that sense of tranquility and place that Aman is so famous for--and it's not an Aman. If you don't care about a pool, to me the Upper House is the best or among the best 2-3 hotels in the city.

We dined at the FS (Lung King Heen) and Landmark MO (Amber) while at the Upper House, and explored both hotels in Central, as well as exploring the RC, Pen, W, and IC on the Kowloon side. We saw rooms/suites at all of them, and got a sense of them all. For us, the Upper House was still our favorite--but to some the Kowloon side may be more preferable for different reasons.

The FS was quite large, and it felt quite large. Its views generally are better than the UH unless you are in one of the Upper Suites/Penthouses on the higher floors, but the UH service was better and more consistent. I understand why people like the FS, though--though I imagine few FS guests have bothered to visit the UH and compare them. The FS does have a pool, of course, and the UH does not. The FS also has great restaurants, but it was a 10 min drive from the UH to dine there. The rooms at the FS just didn't wow us beyond the views…while the UH had much better rooms IMO.

The LMO was lovely, but had no views at all it seemed. Its dining was great (Amber was tremendously good), and its service was very good, even a bit better than the FS. Its rooms were nice and spacious, and we liked their design.
For the price, though, the UH was an obvious winner.

On the Kowloon side, we did love the Pen and surprisingly the IC. The Pen feels grand and felt like it catered more to the business traveler than a holiday guest…especially compared to the Pen in Shanghai (which we loved). Its service was tremendous--equal to the UH. Its suites and rooms were also beautiful, much nicer IMO than the FS, and most seemed to have nice views onto Central.

The IC was more dated but its views were incredible, as was its service and dining. For the price, this was the clear winner out of all of them that we visited.

The RC we didn't like. It had amazing views being so tall, but it was out of the way and it felt more feminine and with oddly laid out room configurations--exactly our same way we felt about the RC in Shanghai, coincidentally. Service was good, and it is a beautiful hotel…but it just didn't connect for us.

The W isn't a luxury hotel in the same class as any of these others. No surprise there. It is right next door (across the shopping mall) to the RC, though.

All in all, I'll take the UH over all of them. If I had to have a pool, I'd consider the Pen, FS, and IC. If I wanted to be on Kowloon, it'd be the Pen or IC depending on what I want to pay. If money were a big factor, I'd choose the IC.
I think that part of it might be your reference point. I personally don't look for an Aman experience at a city hotel, because they are different beasts. Having suffered Aman Delhi (though I will give Aman Tokyo a shot because I like the concierge), I'm not quite sure that the model works everywhere.

Anyway, like I said, I don't think you can go wrong at the top level in HK with any of the many properties folks are talking about here, and nice to have a city where one can explore multiple great experiences.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:37 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Well in my case all the controversy has made me very keen to try the Upper House!

Even more so than the FS which I have also not experienced but which I feel, rightly or wrongly, will be a bit more generic - even if it is uber-luxe generic.
I would say main problem with a lot of the top hotels on FT is definitely uber-luxe generic. I go out of my way to try the more design-y 5* property over a Pen or a FS.

While I want to try some of the other top dogs in HK, if I were to have an extended stay at a hotel, I cannot help but to think UH would be very likely to be the most "home" like and comfortable (except my home doesnt have views of Victoria Harbour nor housekeepers )
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
[QUOTE=gohima;24436367]I would say main problem with a lot of the top hotels on FT is definitely uber-luxe generic. I go out of my way to try the more design-y 5* property over a Pen or a FS.QUOTE]

Those are, regrettably, becoming rarer than hen's teeth.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by grumbler
I don't think you can go wrong at the top level in HK with any of the many properties folks are talking about here, and nice to have a city where one can explore multiple great experiences.
I agree. Hong Kong is just a wonderful city for visitors in the luxury segment.

Recently I've heard a few reports from friends and colleagues about rates that I found interesting. UH seems to be priced more and more frequently well above its competitors (leaving aside special promotions etc), especially during major events like the Biennale, the Sevens etc. I am one of the UH supporters around here - it's the only Hong Kong hotel that ALWAYS "remembers" my birthday even though it's years since I last stayed there - but I am not sure any kind of price differential is justified. Maybe it's just anecdotal/isolated experiences though - interested in others' experiences.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:08 am

Can't decide where to stay in HK. Every time I think I've narrowed down the choices, I keep changing my mind, and introducing new options. I've gone from assuming we'd stay at the W, to thinking about the IC, to entertaining other options like the Sheraton, to deciding it was between the RC (which seems to get little love in this thread), the Grand Hyatt, and the IC. Now, I am stuck thinking the Four Seasons is the only way to go.

As I noted in another thread, here's my situation:

Wife, 10.5 month old son (he will be 10.5 months old then) and I will be in HK for 3 nights early September. All of us, including my son, are seasoned travelers: my son has gone with us to Prague, Vienna, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Minneapolis, and Aspen, my wife and I also have a fair amount experience with kids, since we have 14 nieces and nephews.

We have not been to HK before, but we do have specific things we want in a hotel:

1) My wife likes properties that are younger, hipper, and have a "wow" factor. My worst fear is that she walks into a hotel room and says, this just looks like a generic hotel room. The IC looks like it would probably evoke such a response, though it's possible the RC would, too. None of the properties in HK seem to have the unique rooms that, for instance, the Park Hyatt Vienna, or some of the boutique properties we've been too have. But perhaps I'm missing something.

2) Location is a huge consideration, since we will be bringing our son with us, but we have taken him on public transit while traveling before, and we take him on the subway all the time in NYC, where we live, either in his carrier or in the stroller. Since we will be coming to and from the airport, with a bunch of bags, via public transit, it would be difficult if we had a long way to walk to/from public transportation when coming from (or going to) the airport with our bags.

3) We are huge city people, and love to walk around. We basically walk, explore, look at sights (including stores, museums, etc) and stop at places to eat in between. We usually don't go to our hotel in the middle of the day (unless we would need to for some reason). The only time we'd be at our hotel is in the morning, before we set out, and at night, after we settle in.

4) Views of Hong Kong are part of why I want to go to the city. I like super concentrated cities (Blade Runner is one of my favorite films) and I want to be able to see the HK view at least once, in all its glory.

5) Having decent food options near the hotel is a must, in case we get stuck one night, and need to grab something quickly.

I do have one FS specific question. At the RC, you can upgrade to a club room, quite easily, by just getting the RC credit card. I don't suppose upgrading to the club at FS can be accomplished as cheaply?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other option, for crowds and views, would be a club room at Langham Place in Mong Kok. The club there is the hippest in the city with a an almost entirely young crowd. And there's only about ten thousand food and shopping outlets both in the Langham Place mall and the surrounding neighborhood.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:56 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ataturk
Can't decide where to stay in HK. Every time I think I've narrowed down the choices, I keep changing my mind, and introducing new options. I've gone from assuming we'd stay at the W, to thinking about the IC, to entertaining other options like the Sheraton, to deciding it was between the RC (which seems to get little love in this thread), the Grand Hyatt, and the IC. Now, I am stuck thinking the Four Seasons is the only way to go.

Wife, 10.5 month old son (he will be 10.5 months old then) and I will be in HK for 3 nights early September. All of us, including my son, are seasoned travelers: my son has gone with us to Prague, Vienna, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Minneapolis, and Aspen, my wife and I also have a fair amount experience with kids, since we have 14 nieces and nephews.

We have not been to HK before, but we do have specific things we want in a hotel:

1) My wife likes properties that are younger, hipper, and have a "wow" factor. My worst fear is that she walks into a hotel room and says, this just looks like a generic hotel room. The IC looks like it would probably evoke such a response, though it's possible the RC would, too. None of the properties in HK seem to have the unique rooms that, for instance, the Park Hyatt Vienna, or some of the boutique properties we've been too have. But perhaps I'm missing something.
This suggests the Upper House.

2) Location is a huge consideration, since we will be bringing our son with us, but we have taken him on public transit while traveling before, and we take him on the subway all the time in NYC, where we live, either in his carrier or in the stroller. Since we will be coming to and from the airport, with a bunch of bags, via public transit, it would be difficult if we had a long way to walk to/from public transportation when coming from (or going to) the airport with our bags.
This suggests that you have plenty of choices. The FS is in Central near the Ferry, and the IC/Peninsula are located in the heart of Kowloon within walking distance to the Ferry. The LMO and MO and Upper House are in Central within short taxi rides to the Ferry. The RC and W are both farther away but easy taxi rides to the Kowloon--but likely the most removed.

3) We are huge city people, and love to walk around. We basically walk, explore, look at sights (including stores, museums, etc) and stop at places to eat in between. We usually don't go to our hotel in the middle of the day (unless we would need to for some reason). The only time we'd be at our hotel is in the morning, before we set out, and at night, after we settle in.
This suggests the FS in Central or the IC, Pen in Kowloon. But we did plenty of walking around on both sides from the Upper House! So you still have all the choices you want to satisfy this need.

4) Views of Hong Kong are part of why I want to go to the city. I like super concentrated cities (Blade Runner is one of my favorite films) and I want to be able to see the HK view at least once, in all its glory.
This suggests the FS, Pen, RC, and IC, depending on the view you want. If you want to see the famous HK light show, you need to stay on the Kowloon side since the show is lit up on Central! That suggests you stay at Pen, IC, and RC or W.

5) Having decent food options near the hotel is a must, in case we get stuck one night, and need to grab something quickly.
Depending on what kind and level of food you like, I think all of the top hotels meet this standard, to be honest.

I honestly think you're over thinking this. It sounds like you travel plenty…so chances are you will be back through HKG at some other point in time. Pick the hotel you think will most fit your needs (and you have many from which to choose based on your criteria) and be enjoy. You can always try another property if you like HKG enough to return in the future!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ataturk

I do have one FS specific question. At the RC, you can upgrade to a club room, quite easily, by just getting the RC credit card. I don't suppose upgrading to the club at FS can be accomplished as cheaply?
OK, as all suites at FS comes with club-access itīs always included for me. I can highly recommend it, but I donīt think their are "cheap" upgrade options. Otherwiswe the hotel meets all your needs, see my review. So will be 1500 HKD ++ if you like to "upgrade"
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
OK, as all suites at FS comes with club-access itīs always included for me. I can highly recommend it, but I donīt think their are "cheap" upgrade options. Otherwiswe the hotel meets all your needs, see my review. So will be 1500 HKD ++ if you like to "upgrade"
Thanks. We'll probably either stay at the FS or the RC (still haven't decided). Paying nearly $200 for the club seems borderline ridiculous to me. I'd take it as a free benefit (as it would be at the RC), and I'd be lying if I said I weren't interested in seeing what all the hype is about. But I doubt I'd use the club enough to make it worth the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.