best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
the bar at the Caprice is very nice and you can order a good selection of wine by the glass and cheeses.
I can appreciate that you as a resident may like to dine on wine and cheese but most of us travellers would prefer something local.

Expat friends who still live there (and those who have lived there) support the cause of the students - they are fearful of escalation not because of student action but from outside sources. Luxury brands who have multiple outlets in HK are worried about the fall in sales - I imagine that Luxury hotels will also start feeling the pinch if a democratic solution is not found soon.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
If you want a quiet bar, the bar at the Caprice is very nice and you can order a good selection of wine by the glass and cheeses.
+1: Lovely place with some really very interesting wines that are quite difficult to find.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I can appreciate that you as a resident may like to dine on wine and cheese but most of us travellers would prefer something local.
If you want local fare, you should stay in Kowloon where there's vastly more choices for Cantonese. I have a favorite "hole in the wall" place behind the Peninsula that I always visit. There are a few good places around Central, but nothing like what you can get in Kowloon.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
As Musken has posted , it is alright to be in Central .
So go visit & enjoy your trips .
We had a great time .
The media tends to play things up .
Friends living on Kowloon or HK island are carrying on pretty much as usual .
^ That's for sure .
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary

Expat friends who still live there (and those who have lived there) support the cause of the students - they are fearful of escalation not because of student action but from outside sources. Luxury brands who have multiple outlets in HK are worried about the fall in sales - I imagine that Luxury hotels will also start feeling the pinch if a democratic solution is not found soon.
Was just trying to think of a good bar idea near FS. For local food, plenty of options around. My pick would be Chairman, the Boss, or the new Sun Tong Lok. Unfortunately none are great for single diner though Chairman might be able to accommodate.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
If you want local fare, you should stay in Kowloon where there's vastly more choices for Cantonese. I have a favorite "hole in the wall" place behind the Peninsula that I always visit. There are a few good places around Central, but nothing like what you can get in Kowloon.
Depends on what you mean by local fare. For cheap hole in the wall type places, then yes, Kowloon has better offering. For top-end Cantonese, most are on the HK side.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: BA
On the Asia forum I have a thread about a couple of hotels I'm considering in Hong Kong.

It looks like most favour FS, RC, Pen and MOHK, but I haven't seen many votes for The Landmark MO and I'm curious why the MOHK is more favourable. I understand that The Langham (not Place) doesn't fall into the luxury category, is this due to the lack of hard product renovation, although some rooms appear to have been completed.

The trip will be for a vacation and as its the first time to HK I'm a bit stumped, TST has been recommended but I've read that soho (Central) has good nighlife for bars/restaurants.

The priorities are good hard product, interesting local area accessible to good nightlife and transport links. The usual requirements.

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by heronb
On the Asia forum I have a thread about a couple of hotels I'm considering in Hong Kong.

It looks like most favour FS, RC, Pen and MOHK, but I haven't seen many votes for The Landmark MO and I'm curious why the MOHK is more favourable. I understand that The Langham (not Place) doesn't fall into the luxury category, is this due to the lack of hard product renovation, although some rooms appear to have been completed.

The trip will be for a vacation and as its the first time to HK I'm a bit stumped, TST has been recommended but I've read that soho (Central) has good nighlife for bars/restaurants.

The priorities are good hard product, interesting local area accessible to good nightlife and transport links. The usual requirements.

Thanks
I love Landmark Mandarin Oriental, but I am conscious that many people want a view in HK and LMO does not have one, unless you like the view of the neighbouring Armani store (which I do). This is a small and highly personalised hotel with great food from Richard Ekkebus, not only in Amber but also in the MOBar and room service. Since the refurbishment under Greg Liddell, the hotel is nicer, lighter and more relaxed, and service is superb. It has become my new home in HK and, although I love FS, I like the intimacy of LMO and the fact that, after a couple of days, you know everyone and they know you. I hear AZ stayed recently, which says it all.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I love Landmark Mandarin Oriental, but I am conscious that many people want a view in HK and LMO does not have one, unless you like the view of the neighbouring Armani store (which I do). This is a small and highly personalised hotel with great food from Richard Ekkebus, not only in Amber but also in the MOBar and room service. Since the refurbishment under Greg Liddell, the hotel is nicer, lighter and more relaxed, and service is superb. It has become my new home in HK and, although I love FS, I like the intimacy of LMO and the fact that, after a couple of days, you know everyone and they know you. I hear AZ stayed recently, which says it all.
+1. The LMO has become my favourite hotel in HK recently. If I want views, I will opt for the RC. Most likely I will stick to these two from now on.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
+1. The LMO has become my favourite hotel in HK recently. If I want views, I will opt for the RC. Most likely I will stick to these two from now on.
RC view is sometimes / often foggy.
I remember the view from the SPA over HK island is just amazing

LMO is a great hotel and their SPA is one of the best in HK with the FS.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LMO is a great hotel, but it's lacking two things for me.

1. View (as noted above)
2. History. Personally I love a hotel that has a rich character and you can't buy history for any amount of money. That's why I love the MO Hong Kong and especially the Oriental Bangkok.

That said, as long as I can visit the MO HKG at least once each year, I wouldn't mind adding on other stays at the LMO in between.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:22 am

LMO is a great hotel, but it's lacking two things for me.

1. View (as noted above)
2. History. Personally I love a hotel that has a rich character and you can't buy history for any amount of money. That's why I love the MO Hong Kong and especially the Oriental Bangkok.

That said, as long as I can visit the MO HKG at least once each year, I wouldn't mind adding on other stays at the LMO in between.
MO is only 50 years old, is that a long history ?
IMHO not in Europe and yes in HK. Not sure in the US
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
True, it's not 135 years old like the MO Bangkok, but it is old for Hong Kong. And more important is the very rich history it's seen in its 50 years. For decades it was THE place in Hong Kong especially for the banking, and entertainment industries, high society and the political scene. It's only in the last decade or so that serious competition has arrived.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Depends on hotel. Sometimes "tong history" means tired and small rooms, snobby service, nearly dead guests - but it can also be a big pro
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
For decades it was THE place in Hong Kong especially for the banking, and entertainment industries, high society and the political scene.
Still is, methinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.