Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't think any of us know exactly where the protests will be a month from now. They could be near the Pen and IC. But one place I am sure they won't be is on the other side of the island. I have already recommended to friends to stay next week at the Le Meridien Cyberport. Very peaceful at any time of the year, and a short distance from Central in case you do want to visit.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: CX DM
Unless things change dramatically, you are not going to get caught up in the protests (regardless of your hotel choice) without actively trying to. None of the three protest sites has anything you really need to see on a HK visit, and none of the hotels discussed on these pages is in a protest site.

One possible exception to consider - Connaught road outside the old Mandarin is still closed (despite it being completely clear of any protest activity) which may have traffic implications.

Last edited by Altocumulus; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by stimpy
But one place I am sure they won't be is on the other side of the island. I have already recommended to friends to stay next week at the Le Meridien Cyberport.
There is a reason why you won't see protests at Cyberport. It's in the middle of farkin' nowhere, by Hong Kong standards.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
There is a reason why you won't see protests at Cyberport. It's in the middle of farkin' nowhere, by Hong Kong standards.
Thank you Kindly for the afternoon chuckle!

Quite seriously though- my colleagues have recently stayed at the FS and said there were no interruptions what-so-ever caused by protests.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

best hotel in Hong Kong

We just left the FS after a 5 nights stay, at the airport now, and noticed absolutely nothing regarding protests. We were told by the concierge that two outside restaurants that we had booked were close to where the protests are taking place, but we took taxi going there and walked back without noticing anything.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
That was my point!

And I'm sure it's relatively peaceful now but these things can escalate, even in Hong Kong. I got tear gassed walking out of the top luxury hotel in central Athens a couple years ago, not that we should compare the two protests! But I agree with the person who posted the query that you do not want to repeat that experience.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That was my point!

And I'm sure it's relatively peaceful now but these things can escalate, even in Hong Kong.
Maybe in Mongkok, but those of us that have spent a fair amount of time in HK during the course of the past month aren't especially afraid of Central. And, even if Central itself were dangerous, it's pretty easy to avoid.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Maybe in Mongkok, but those of us that have spent a fair amount of time in HK during the course of the past month aren't especially afraid of Central. And, even if Central itself were dangerous, it's pretty easy to avoid.
You know China better than I do. You don't think it is even possible for things to escalate in Central?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:28 pm

You know China better than I do. You don't think it is even possible for things to escalate in Central?
I guess it's possible in theory, but I haven't felt the slightest sense of tension during the times I've passed through. I only go to Central to deal with banking matters and for the occasional meeting. I'm hard pressed to think of any leisure activities that necessitate being in the protest area.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:33 pm

I guess it's possible in theory, but I haven't felt the slightest sense of tension during the times I've passed through. I only go to Central to deal with banking matters and for the occasional meeting. I'm hard pressed to think of any leisure activities that necessitate being in the protest area.
Given the protests area(s) shouldn't be a concern, then for hotel on the island, FS is recommended? Is it close to good nightlife nearby or is that in Kowloon?
I will be traveling solo and I like to go out at night. My first time in HK
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:52 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Regarding nightlife, here is what the FS concierges recommended:

Night Clubs and Bars

Dragon I
During the day, Dragon I serves dim sum, but at night, it becomes one of the busiest and most popular clubs to visit in Hong Kong.
Address/Phone:​UG/F, The Centrium, 60 Wyndham Street, Central (3110 1222)
Hours:​Monday to Saturday: 12:00pm to 2:30pm, 6:00pm to 10:30am, 11:00pm to Late (around 2:00am on weekdays, around 4:00am on weekends)
​Sunday: 11:00am to 4:00pm (for lunch only), closed in the evening

Tazmania Ballroom
It’s pool meets Ballroom. Cool meets chic, and games meets glam. The latest venue launched by Dragon I. Unique concept of glamour meets games. Party and Play till dawn.
Address/Phone:​1/F, LKF Tower, 55 D’Aguilar Street, Lan Kwai Fong, Central (2801 5009)
Hours:​Monday to Sunday: 5:00pm to Late (around 2:00am)

KEE Club
KEE Club is a favorite among many, including celebrities, models, fashion people, business men, etc. The layout includes a vast dance floor, a corner bar, a grand staircase, and another lounge area.
Address/Phone:​6/F, Yung Kee Building, 32 Wellington Street, Central (2810 9000)
Hours:​Monday to Friday: 12:00pm to 2:00pm, 7:00pm to 10:00pm, 10:30pm to 12:30am
​Saturday: 12:00pm to 2:00pm, 7:00pm to 10:00pm; 11:00pm to Late (around 4:00am)
​Closed on Sunday

Prive
The interior at Prive is done very well, enhanced by a huge video screen/monitor. The area is spacious enough to accommodate the huge crowds, and the music is sure to suit all tastes.
Address/Phone:​B/F, Century Square, 1-13 D’Aguilar Street, Central (2810 8199)
Hours:​Monday to Friday: 6:00pm to Late (around 2:00am)
​Saturday: 10:00pm to Late (around 5:00am)

Nova &Loft
Located on the second floor of Lyndhurst Tower, the club features over six thousand square feet of floor space. The interiors are a mix of metal, concrete, glass and marble exuding a sophisticated and mysterious ambience. Loft on 3/F has the NYC decoration with pool tables & outdoor terraces. Nova on 2/F is designed in a ultra-modern futuristic décor, and is the embodiment of "atmosphere, comfort, space and V.I.P."
Address/Phone: 2 - 3/F Lyndhurst Tower, 1 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central (2522 2608)
Hours: Monday to Saturday: 9:00pm to 6:00am
​ Closed in Sunday
Boujis

The newest branch of the original members-only club in London opened in late 2012, Boujis regularly offers theme nights and invites international DJs, making it a very popular destination for the Hong Kong party crowd.
Address/Phone: Car Po Commercial Building, 37 Pottinger Street, Central (2324 0200)
Hours: Wednesday to Friday 6:00pm to late, Saturday 10:00pm to late
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
Regarding nightlife, here is what the FS concierges recommended:
That's a decent list of some of the more well known haunts, but there are also tons of more low key places in LKF, SoHo, and even Sheungwan. Plus, Wanchai is always fun (though not so trendy or low key, for the most part).

Protests shouldn't interfere with any of the above in the slightest.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a decent list of some of the more well known haunts, but there are also tons of more low key places in LKF, SoHo, and even Sheungwan. Plus, Wanchai is always fun (though not so trendy or low key, for the most part).

Protests shouldn't interfere with any of the above in the slightest.
+1

That is a list of the most well known spots- some of them are a touch too busy or hustling for my liking however to hit the popular spots that will do the trick.
Personally I like the cocktails at the Upper House and a more toned down vibe.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:46 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
As Musken has posted , it is alright to be in Central .
Was in MOHK for a week till last Sun .
All was peaceful with few protestors past the old Star Ferry terminal on Connaught Road where there were barricades . Tourists & locals were carrying on as usual with some snapping photos . While others could be seen rather bemused at the going ons .
Getting around should be fine , perhaps with detours if you choose to venture where the roads are closed .
All smooth with MTR & also airport express . Hotel limo service worked well too .

Lan Kwai Fong ( LFK ) has many bars / restaurants / pubs , & you should check with the concierge to add to Musken ' s list . Gurkha at LFK was one where some friends were at recently .

So go visit & enjoy your trips .
We had a great time .
The media tends to play things up .
Friends living on Kowloon or HK island are carrying on pretty much as usual .
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:31 am

There are protests on both the HK (Admiralty, Causeway Bay) and Kowloon (Mongkok) side. But unless you deliberately try to walk pass it, you would hardly notice it since these are not really tourist places (maybe with the exception of the street outside Sogo in Causeway Bay). If I were you, I would have no hesitation with staying on the HK side. The Mandarin might be a be more troublesome as the road right outside is only partially open. I would stay at the FS and walk to Soho, LKF areas for dinner and drinks. There is chance of escalation but I would rate that at very low. If you want a quiet bar, the bar at the Caprice is very nice and you can order a good selection of wine by the glass and cheeses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.