Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ambassador Platinum
Just returned from our trip to Marrakech. We ended up staying at the Riad Farnatchi based on recommendations here. It is a fantastic property in the heart of the Medina. Room 5 was a good size with our own private balcony. Our room took up 3 faces of the courtyard and enjoyed a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the old town. The service was 5 star. I would definitely recommend this place.

On a side note, we were there during the Marrakech Film Festival. In speaking with some drivers, we found that most of the celebrities including Johnny Depp stayed at the La Mamounia. It is a much larger complex than the Farnatchi and is likely a different experience altogether. (Farnatchi has 9 suites.) We weren't dressed properly to get into the Mamounia for drinks but it's that kind of property.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Gold, BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
La Mamounia is a great hotel. Brand new and a real experience!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by flightjunk
La Mamounia is a great hotel. Brand new and a real experience!
Lots of new people, welcome flightjunk to flyertalk! La Mamounia is obviously not brand new, just refurbished. Please share your experience of La Mamounia with us as Marrakech is getting quite competitive in the luxury hotel market.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
Royal Mansour is definitely the place to try. Expensive though.
Expensive, but well worth it. What you get for the price of a riad at Royal Mansour is 5x the accommodation and 10x the service of what you get for the same price at La Mamounia.

La Mamounia has been redone well as a shinier modification of what it once was. It's great for those who want to be seen so that everyone can know where they are and what they're doing.

Royal Mansour is a showcase of Moroccan pride and craftsmanship, and unlike any other hotel in the world. It's great for those who value more a paramount experience and don't care much about what anyone notices or thinks about them... as it's very quiet, anonymous, walled, private.

And whatever you do, wherever you stay, do make time to have dinner at the French restaurant at Royal Mansour. Do yourself a favor. Don't even think of questioning. Book a table now.

p.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: *
What are current thoughts and rankings on hotels in Marrakech? Seems a lot of mixed reviews so keen to hear from anyone who knows the town/hotel scene well.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:32 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ani90
What are current thoughts and rankings on hotels in Marrakech? Seems a lot of mixed reviews so keen to hear from anyone who knows the town/hotel scene well.
I wonder how the new MO will compare. From the few pictures I've seen, it looks quite nice.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:50 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on Royal Mansour vs. Palais Namaskar and Aman. Not really interested in the large hotel chains (MO, FS).

Are there any other luxury to semi-luxury traditional Moroccan places? Royal Mansour seems like the most interesting to me at first glance.

We're sorta planning to go there next summer and am also interested in the quality of the activities and excursions as well as the family fun factor.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:58 am

FS walks all over Palais Namaskar. However if you want something more intimate the then recently refreshed Amanjena might be your best bet.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:32 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I'd say you have to decide if you want to stay in town or out of town (like at Amanjena). In town I'd recommend La Sultana, lovely property and excellent service.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
For Marrakech, depends on location. Royal Mansour is the nicest and most expensive for food and accommodations - but it's not SUPER central (5-10 minute taxi from city center). Stunning and decadent, it's a palace in itself, and better for privacy. If you aren't interested in staying at chains, La Mamounia is the happiest medium - cost isn't outrageous, but it does feel like a Four Seasons and you are guaranteed a celebrity spotting.

If you want to be super central, the "hip" spot is Riad El Fenn - even if you don't stay there, go have a sunset drink on their rooftop. La Villa des Orangers is another decent alternative, and La Sultana would be my third choice - I've seen/stayed at all of these. Those are the typical riad-style lodging closer to the markets and other sights.

LMK if you want more advice - Morocco is a favorite destination of mine.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by CanvasTravelCo
For Marrakech, depends on location. Royal Mansour is the nicest and most expensive for food and accommodations - but it's not SUPER central (5-10 minute taxi from city center). Stunning and decadent, it's a palace in itself, and better for privacy. If you aren't interested in staying at chains, La Mamounia is the happiest medium - cost isn't outrageous, but it does feel like a Four Seasons and you are guaranteed a celebrity spotting.

If you want to be super central, the "hip" spot is Riad El Fenn - even if you don't stay there, go have a sunset drink on their rooftop. La Villa des Orangers is another decent alternative, and La Sultana would be my third choice - I've seen/stayed at all of these. Those are the typical riad-style lodging closer to the markets and other sights.

LMK if you want more advice - Morocco is a favorite destination of mine.
Any thoughts on Amanjena? Really goal of the trip would be relaxation...

Thanks
FDW
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any thoughts on Amanjena? Really goal of the trip would be relaxation...

Thanks
FDW
Amanjena will be perfect, it's outside of the mayhem but with enough proximity to the city center that you have options. Another alternative for relaxation is Kasbah Tamadot, Richard Branson's property ~1 hr outside of Marrakech. Also lovely.

And if you want to relax on the coast, La Sultana Oualidia is a small, private, stunning boutique resort on the coast that the royal family has frequented. It's about 3 hrs drive from Marrakech, so that may be too far.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CanvasTravelCo
Another alternative for relaxation is Kasbah Tamadot, Richard Branson's property ~1 hr outside of Marrakech. Also lovely.
We had a lovely stay there last December. We had a Virtuoso booking and were upgraded to a berber tent with a great view over the valley.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Marrakech moves fast in terms of new places to stay, so always good to update.

There continue to be no end of cool new riads. I would probably still take Riad Farnatchi over most others in the medina, but I am pretty sure at least 3 new ones have opened in the last 24 months that are probably also pretty good.

I don't think the Royal Mansour is to everyone's taste, though it is a pretty hilarious place. It suffers a bit from being a bit too stiff, though the grounds and interior décor are spectacular. If I am looking for luxe hotel in the city and not Palmeraie, I think I would still look at Mamounia though it is not perfect.

In the Palmeraie, total toss up between FS, Aman and I guess Namaskar (though I haven't seen that one).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
We stayed at Amanjena and La Mamounia this xmas. I wish we didn't move to La Mamounia... it was not what I remembered. I stayed there 15 years ago and it was a classic dignified hotel (we got a hand written note slipped under our door inviting us to cocktails with the manager.) This time around it was crowded and overrun by tourists. The lobby looks like a cruise ship with shops and way overpriced restaurants. The service was indifferent.

The Aman is only 15 minutes from the medina and it's a welcome retreat from the touristy chaos there. We stayed in the Garden Maison which was perfect... before the refresh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.